Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2003 R53 OEM Xenon Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Mini_berger21
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 R53 OEM Xenon Problems

My 2003 R53 w/35k miles has OEM xenons. A few months ago, the passenger side headlight was not igniting. After switching the lights on and off for about a half dozen times, it would finally ignite. This problem kept on getting worse, and from reading the forums, I replaced the ballast and bulb (found used on NAM of course). It worked perfectly for about a week and died again.

I have switched the ballast with the driver side to make sure it is operational, and yes, it works fine.

So far, from my reading, I think it may be the ignitor? I vaguely remember reading this was built into the headlight assembly itself, and you can't really find a replacement.

Is this a valid diagnosis, or could something else be wrong?

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:31 PM
healeyguy
Neutral
I had the same problem 2 years ago, and the mechanic told me it was the ignitor, and it turned out to be cheaper to buy a new headlight assembly then to buy an ignitor and pay the labor to install it. It cost me around 500 bucks!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:14 AM
RCorney17
2nd Gear
You've got to be kidding. I have the exact same prognosis as berger21 except now my driver side is working sporadically.

Anyone know if I can swap the xenon to regular lamps when buying the new headlight cluster?

Is this a problem with all xenons or does it seem to be more of a MINI quirk?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RCorney17
...Is this a problem with all xenons or does it seem to be more of a MINI quirk?
Igniters and controllers go bad on all Xenons. What is problematic on ours (I have a 2003 MCS too) is that the igniter is inside the assembly and cannot be replaced easily without taking the whole assembly apart. And then you have to get the igniter. It was redesigned on later Mini's but our design, IMO, leaves a lot to be desired.

I personally am afraid to get a used assembly as it too may be intermittent so I am living with it for now. But it is annoying to say the least.

///Rich

Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Mini_berger21
2nd Gear
Rich you are exactly correct, and that is why I'm afraid to buy a used one as well.

It's also hard to justify paying the $$ to get a set of 2005+ facelift xenons!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_berger21
...t's also hard to justify paying the $$ to get a set of 2005+ facelift xenons!
Do they just bolt in to our earlier Mini's? And is the washer the same? I would love to get a set of new lamps that have replaceable parts. Sometimes the salvage yards have some good deals on "used" parts.

I also asked my dealer to get me a takeout bad assembly so i can see for myself what it would take to repair this. It would be a good business for someone if they get the process right as there are a LOT of bad ones out there.

Rich

Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 AM
bimah320
1st Gear
Xenon problems

My '03 MCS has had constant problems with getting both headlights to fire up consistently. I'm wondering if a cheaper solution than buying expensive new headlight assemblies might be by gutting, or bypassing the factory electronics, and re-fit with an aftermarket HID kit. At least those parts are reasonably priced and easy to get, if problems present themselves in the future.
Has anyone here tried this ?

Old 06-10-2011, 05:33 PM
seo155
1st Gear
My passanger side is doing the EXACT same as the OP. Down to the multiple quick flicks of the stalk switch.

Any idea if replacing the Xenon assembly as a whole for an aftermarket set up will replace the faulty ignighter problem?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 AM
bimah320
1st Gear
That's what I was getting at, you would be by-passing the factory ignitor and ballast with the after-market unit.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by seo155
Any idea if replacing the Xenon assembly as a whole for an aftermarket set up will replace the faulty ignighter problem?
Yes. Hella makes the assemblies and they are cheaper on Amazon than at the dealer. The drivers side replacement is left 010071031 and 010071041 for the right.

Takes around 20 minutes to replace but you will have to move over the washer. Be sure to read the manual carefully as you don't want to break it.

Rich

Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my story regarding Xenons on my 2003 MCS (115Kmiles at the moment).

Until 50Kmiles, both worked perfectly fine. Due to a debris on the freeway, the front glass was broken on the passenger side, and I had to get a replacement (i.e., the entire assembly). I found one at a local shop for $250 (taken from another MCS). The replacement lasted about 10Kmiles and as the symptoms described by the OP, the problem was the ignitor (switching everything else didn't replicate the problem on the driver's side). Then, I purchased the second replacement on eBay for $175. So far, the 2nd replacement has been working fine.

I understand the concerns about buying a used one, but it doesn't mean that it will definitely have a problem. For instance, my driver's side Xenon is still the original one since 2003 and works just fine.

My suggestion would be to check eBay often until you find a good deal. They seem to be ranging from $250-450.

By the way, keep in mind that repeated on/off cycles to get the faulty ignitor to work will damage and shorten the life of your working Xenon unit. I'd replace it sooner than later, if you have to do this quite a lot...

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
I know this is quite the thread necro but I figured someone would complain if I started my own thread or if I brought this back from the dead. I was having a blast trying to get to the bottom of codes P0301 and P0201 in the middle of the night and dropped one of the intercooler clamps into the engine bay and said after 4 years I was done with this car and wanted an STI. When I shut the hood and fired up the car to see what would happen with a missing intercooler clamp I realized that my driver side headlight would not turn on.

I had to laugh that I spent 4 hours doing what most of you could do in 15 minutes, hurt my back, did not fix my car and now the headlight was out. I didn't really care, I was too cold and tired. Today I called the dealer to order a replacement and was not laughing when he said $220 dollars for a single Xenon replacement bulb. I ended going to my local NAPA and buying the same light and put it in and much to my, what am I saying, not to my surprise it did not work either. So in your guys much more educated opinion, do I need to buy this ballast I am reading about and an ignitor? Are there any other trouble shooting things I can try? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdbsat
...my driver side headlight would not turn on....I ended going to my local NAPA and buying the same light and put it in and much to my, what am I saying, not to my surprise it did not work either. So in your guys much more educated opinion, do I need to buy this ballast I am reading about and an ignitor? Are there any other trouble shooting things I can try? Any input would be appreciated.
If you move the ballast from side to side (they are the same) you can tell if you have a bad ballast. Most likely that is not the problem and it is the igniter which is internal to the lamp assembly and not replaceable. The new assembly is expensive. You may be able to find a direct replacement Hella 010071031 for a bit less. You could have tested the bulb, BTW, by moving that as well but that is water under the bridge.

If it turns out you need the ballast, PM me as I have one and can get it to you cheaper than elsewhere. But my bet is that is not the problem.

Rich

Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 PM
bimah320
1st Gear
'03 R53 Xenon problems

I finally fixed (most of)my lighting problems. I bought two new light assemblies for $500 after shipping on eBay. They did not come with ballasts, so I used the old ones. I did get two new Phillips Xenon bulbs for another $75 on eBay. Everything seemed to work fine, they both lit up first try, but one (R) still would flicker and go out. So, I ordered 1 used ballast on eBay for $125, and now everything works great, except no high beam on the right. It did this with the old lights too. I've tried swapping bulbs side to side, same result.
Is there a dedicated fuse for each high beam ?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
If you move the ballast from side to side (they are the same) you can tell if you have a bad ballast. Most likely that is not the problem and it is the igniter which is internal to the lamp assembly and not replaceable. The new assembly is expensive. You may be able to find a direct replacement Hella 010071031 for a bit less. You could have tested the bulb, BTW, by moving that as well but that is water under the bridge.

If it turns out you need the ballast, PM me as I have one and can get it to you cheaper than elsewhere. But my bet is that is not the problem.

Rich
Thanks Rich. I don't really know what I am doing and thought that just replacing the bulb would be an arduous task from reading some posts on NAM. I think I was reading about the later model Xenons. Anyway, I just got off the phone with the dealership to buy a new headlight assembly and be done with it. I cannot take anymore of the "Quirks" of owning a Mini, e.g., Power steering pumps that are known to fail, having to hit your door above the speaker because of known window failures, cold starts and strut towers that are known to mushroom.

The guy at the dealership said that they dont sell the whole headlight assembly and that he had a "Control Unit." Is this is a ballast? He gave me a part number of 63127167068. I may take you up on the offer of the ballast, I just need to figure out what one is first. I am at work so I will research more when I get home. I really appreciate the reply. I am just at my wits end at this point and having the headlight go out after hours of working on another part of the car was just too much

Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
...I don't really know what I am doing...I just got off the phone with the dealership to buy a new headlight assembly and be done with it....The guy at the dealership said that they dont sell the whole headlight assembly and that he had a "Control Unit." Is this is a ballast? He gave me a part number of 63127167068....I may take you up on the offer of the ballast, I just need to figure out what one is first. I am at work so I will research more when I get home. I really appreciate the reply. I am just at my wits end at this point and having the headlight go out after hours of working on another part of the car was just too much
The control unit is the silver box that hangs on the bottom of the assembly. The left and right ones are the same so if you switch them side to side and the problem moves then the unit is bad. And that is what I have if you find you need it.

Again, I doubt that is the problem so be sure first as the OEM price for that unit is $400 and since it is electronic, most dealers won't take it back if that is not the problem. So going to that dealer would be an expensive mistake if the control unit is not the problem. Most times it is the igniter that is internal and not replaceable except with the whole unit part number 63126933839 for over $600. Here is the link to the parts pictures. Again, switch the control unit side to side. It will only take 15 minutes and you'll know.

Rich

PS-BTW-I love my 2003 MCS. Yes, it has quirks but when I hit the twisties, everything is right with the world.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
The control unit is the silver box that hangs on the bottom of the assembly. The left and right ones are the same so if you switch them side to side and the problem moves then the unit is bad. And that is what I have if you find you need it.

Again, I doubt that is the problem so be sure first as the OEM price for that unit is $400 and since it is electronic, most dealers won't take it back if that is not the problem. So going to that dealer would be an expensive mistake if the control unit is not the problem. Most times it is the igniter that is internal and not replaceable except with the whole unit part number 63126933839 for over $600. Here is the link to the parts pictures. Again, switch the control unit side to side. It will only take 15 minutes and you'll know.

Rich

PS-BTW-I love my 2003 MCS. Yes, it has quirks but when I hit the twisties, everything is right with the world.

I have enjoyed my Mini and still do but too much has happened in too short a time for me. I am going to try to switch the control unit when I get home in a few minutes. I just want to make sure I am switching the correct thing. So I will be switching part #1 on the link you sent. The one called control unit correct? I am trying to find a little DIY on the net but it is probably too simple for most people. I just dont want to end up with no headlights at all and at this point I could see that happening

Thanks for your help Rich. If I switch them and it is that part I will PM you and buy whatever replacement you have. Thanks again

Old 01-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
...I am going to try to switch the control unit when I get home in a few minutes. I just want to make sure I am switching the correct thing. So I will be switching part #1 on the link you sent...
So. How did it go?

Rich

Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
So. How did it go?

Rich
I just finished. It looks like I wasted $100 on a bulb as it was the ballast after all. I cannot believe the dealership wants $400 plus for that part. Especially a part that using google one can see is in high demand due to so many of them failing. I saw a used one on fleabay for $133 dollars. Is this the part you have for sale Rich? I am just confused about what is what. I will PM you, and thanks for your help.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:21 AM
jbkone
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you could get an igniter, could you rig it externally to work with the current assemblies? that way, if it happened again you could just replace the igniter.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jbkone
If you could get an igniter, could you rig it externally to work with the current assemblies? that way, if it happened again you could just replace the igniter.
You "could" remove the lens and get at the igniter with heat much like doing a Joey Mod. Not for the faint of heart and my suggestion is you bake it in the oven when your wife is not around. Fewer questions that way.

Rich

Old 01-28-2012, 05:25 AM
R53fort
1st Gear
I have the same problem on my 04 s. I decided to get new light assembles off E-bay. A set was half the price of one from the dealer. The company that makes it is Spyder auto.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Z123Ruckus
Neutral
Anyone know if the Hella Projectors would fit an '03? Or whether Hella Reflectors have ignition devices that are separate from the assembly? Unlike the OEMs. I've got the Xenon issue on mine and I'm debating what to do. I was under the impression that other than the fact that the pre-facelift was a reflector and the post-facelift was a projector that physically the lights would fit in the car exactly the same. However, if you go to Amazon, or any of the auto-parts stores that stock the Hellas, they indicate that the projector versions do not fit anything pre-2005. Perhaps the retailers saying they don't fit is just a nonsensical requirement?

Last edited by Z123Ruckus; 04-04-2012 at 08:45 AM.