Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Am I in trouble or is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Phucket
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I in trouble or is this normal?

I have been out and about today running errands. Twice after driving I shut the engine off and the cooling fan kicks on and runs for a few minutes. I don't think the car was overheating either time but it did look like some coolant did come out of the cap. I know the cooling system should not leak so that makes me think something might be up. Is the fan running after shut down normal, or is this a sign that something is amiss?

Old 06-28-2010, 04:00 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phucket
I have been out and about today running errands. Twice after driving I shut the engine off and the cooling fan kicks on and runs for a few minutes. I don't think the car was overheating either time but it did look like some coolant did come out of the cap. I know the cooling system should not leak so that makes me think something might be up. Is the fan running after shut down normal, or is this a sign that something is amiss?
Fan running is normal. If coolant is leaking, that isn't.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Phucket
2nd Gear
It looked as though the coolant was coming from the cap on the overflow tank. Do those go bad?

Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Was the fan really really LOUD ?

BTW: Dash temp gauge next to the gas gauge is worthless....it will only read hot when it's too late and a new head has to be purchased. Do yourself a favor and get a Scanguage II and use that to monitor your engines vitals.....

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 06-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Phucket
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-

BTW: Dash temp gauge next to the gas gauge is worthless....it will only read hot when it's too late and a new head has to be purchased. Do yourself a favor and get a Scanguage II and use that to monitor your engines vitals.....
I am almost positive it was the radiator fan moving air through the radiator. The coolant also looks like it might be slightly on the low side.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Is the fan running after shut down normal, or is this a sign that something is amiss?
I read somewhere in the book that there is a lot of condensation causing the fan to run when the engine is shut off.....however take nothing for granted.
The coolant overflow tank should be around 1/3 to 1/2 full. Does not mean you are low on fluid. What year and how many miles do you have.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Phucket
2nd Gear
It is an 03 MCS with 159k

Old 06-28-2010, 05:50 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
It is an 03 MCS with 159k
Look at the operator manual....it should state the fan runs after motor is shut off. I guess you had the Mini for a while....has this happened before?
If this is something new maybe it should be looked at.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Fan has two speeds......low and high....You are not supposed to ever hear the high speed fan running unless you are having issues......

That is why I asked if the fan you heard was REALY REALY LOUD.....if so, that is the high speed fan in a last ditch effort in keeping your engine cool. Your last line of defense from having to buy a new engine.....

So could be the low speed fan is kaput.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:57 PM
anmracing
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being in Arizona, it helps to have the fan run a little after drifting, I mean driving around. I wish it would keep running a little longer after the car is off.....

Old 06-28-2010, 06:14 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Yeah, I know what you mean....I gerry rigged the fan in my 1st Gen GTI with a switch so I could override the electric fans thermostat and run it when I wanted to run it

Old 06-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Before everyone gets you all worried and spreads the worst around like all forums do. What color was the fluid? 9/10 its just condensation from the a/c. Remember blue for washer fluid, greenish yellow for coolant/antifreeze, red normally for auto tranny fluid, black for oil, and amber for brake fluid.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by Porthos
Before everyone gets you all worried and spreads the worst around like all forums do. What color was the fluid? 9/10 its just condensation from the a/c. Remember blue for washer fluid, greenish yellow for coolant/antifreeze, red normally for auto tranny fluid, black for oil, and amber for brake fluid.
OP says coolant maybe coming out of the expansion tanks
cap = condensation......in summer time ? I dont get it.

Getting folks "all worried here like all other forums do ? " Meaning what exactly....You must be new here friend......

Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Phucket
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LaurelEdition
Look at the operator manual....it should state the fan runs after motor is shut off. I guess you had the Mini for a while....has this happened before?
If this is something new maybe it should be looked at.
I actually have only had the car for about a month and unfortunately it did not have the operators manual.
I am living in louisiana and the temp has been hovering around 100. The temp gauge is around midway when running.
So gRey hot do I differentiate between the low vs high speeds. If I had to describe it I would say it sounds like the same loudness when the car is running.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
The low speed fan is almost not even heard over the engine running. You should not be able to hear the low speed fan at idle much or while at the drive up window of a restaurant.

The high speed fan is quite loud, like a shop vac.....very very noticible difference between the two.

When the low speed fan resistor was fried in my fan assembly, I had to run with the A/C on to over ride the resistor to keep from over heating.

Low speed fan should kick on when temps reach between 215*- 220* degrees. If you see temps reaching 225 to 230* the low speed fan is most likely not working....and a good time to check.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
I actually have only had the car for about a month and unfortunately it did not have the operators manual.
Download a copy here: http://www.motoringalliance.com/libr...-2002-2009-38/

Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Check to make sure the coolant it low, if it is pressure test the system. Thermostats are common to leak, and coolant expansion tanks are common to fail and leak at the seam.
If that is all ok, the radiator fans are known for going bad too, they most commonly fail where they stay on after you shut off the car, or the low speed on them fails.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Phucket
2nd Gear
The low speed fan is almost not even heard over the engine running. You should not be able to hear the low speed fan at idle much or while at the drive up window of a restaurant.

The high speed fan is quite loud, like a shop vac.....very very noticible difference between the two.

When the low speed fan resistor was fried in my fan assembly, I had to run with the A/C on to over ride the resistor to keep from over heating.

Low speed fan should kick on when temps reach between 215*- 220* degrees. If you see temps reaching 225 to 230* the low speed fan is most likely not working....and a good time to check.
If that is the case then based off of sound I would say it is the high speed fan. As of right now I do not have a way to test what the temp is other than the gauge cluster temp.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are you running your A/C? If you are not, and the High speed fan is engaging, then you most likely have a blown Low speed resistor.

For the record, BMW Antifreeze can be purple/blue too.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Phucket
2nd Gear
Yes, with temps hovering around 100 and a heat index of about 110, I definitely have the a/c on.

I know what all of the colors should be since I have had them all on me at one intime or another. The coolant in it right now is green.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, with temps hovering around 100 and a heat index of about 110, I definitely have the a/c on.
I hear ya, its been like that here in Arkansas, too.

Way's advice is definitely good to follow if you think there is a problem. And it was mentioned earlier in the thread, i believe, that the temperature gauge on the dash doesn't accurately display temperature after operating temperature is reached. If you want to more accurately monitor your temperatures, consider a Scanguage II. It can be set up to display most pertinent information that the ECU already monitors. Including coolant temp.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:55 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear

How would one know when a new head is needed? What will one see/hear/feel, besides the gauge?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:05 AM
booooost
Neutral
what is the normal running engine temp? waht temperature does the low fan kick on and what temp does the high fan kick on? i am having some issues as well and brought it to the shop and id like to do a little research before i go to pick it up today.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
I actually have only had the car for ...... The temp gauge is around midway when running. .....when the car is running.
which I do believe is normal. so while considering the good ideas already offered, I would not be worried.

I would certainly not be considering what the symptoms of a failure in the head would look like.

if I had seen that guage in the upper half of it's range then I'd start being a bit more concerned.