Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

I got the service engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 PM
luseboy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the service engine light

Ok,
so ive had my car for 2 weeks or so. Its got 68k on it, and its an 03 MCS. The car has been great, except the squeaky clutch, and this darn service engine light. I think its from the gas cap. The first time i filled the car up, the light came on. I kinda freaked out until i realized that it was just the cap. But upon looking at the cap, the O-ring that surrounds it seems to be cracked all the way around, and seems to need to be replacement. I read in the manual that the gas cap will trigger that light based off of pressure in the gas tank. Anyways, the car is awesome! Its so much fun to drive, and its so practical, good looking, and gets great gas mileage. TBH, im not paying attention to the light, id just like to make sure that it really is the gas cap, and not something else major. I called the dealer, and they told me not to worry.
Anyways, Loving my car, just trying to figure out what you all think.
-Austin

Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
36rodder
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luseboy
Ok,
so ive had my car for 2 weeks or so. Its got 68k on it, and its an 03 MCS. The car has been great, except the squeaky clutch, and this darn service engine light. I think its from the gas cap. The first time i filled the car up, the light came on. I kinda freaked out until i realized that it was just the cap. But upon looking at the cap, the O-ring that surrounds it seems to be cracked all the way around, and seems to need to be replacement. I read in the manual that the gas cap will trigger that light based off of pressure in the gas tank. Anyways, the car is awesome! Its so much fun to drive, and its so practical, good looking, and gets great gas mileage. TBH, im not paying attention to the light, id just like to make sure that it really is the gas cap, and not something else major. I called the dealer, and they told me not to worry.
Anyways, Loving my car, just trying to figure out what you all think.
-Austin
The only way to know if it truely is the gas cap and not something more serious is to pull the codes. If you don't own a scanner then go to Autozone, they will pull the code for you for free.