Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Graphic Vibration Description, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Destructo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Graphic Vibration Description, HELP!

2002 R53 MCS, 112,570 miles on the odometer.

Vibration description:
This low bass howl becomes noticeable after 20-30mph and grows more pronounced as my speed climbs. It doesn't matter if I take it out of gear at 70MPH and rev the motor, the vibration stays directly correlated to the MPH and is a moving part not related to the engine so far as I can tell. The tone of the vibration changes with steering input. The high frequency vibration is felt throughout the entire cabin of the car, interior panels vibrate, i can feel it in the accelerator, but I cannot feel any vibration in the steering wheels. It's an odd sensation. This has been noticeable for just over a week, today becoming by far the most bothersome.

Checked possibilities:

Just today had four new tires installed and and a wheel alignment thinking the vibration problem was from my old and wearing tires. After the new install, the vibration is still there.

I took the car home, jacked it up and checked to see if it was perhaps the wheel bearings. Negative on both fronts and rears.

While jacked I started turning the wheels to see if I could induce some sort of parallel to the higher speed vibration. I noticed my front disc brakes (2 years old, approximately 41,000 miles old) turn freely about a half turn then experience some resistance. I checked both sides of the car to see if this was just localized to one side. Both seem to share this free spin, tough spin pattern passing through the calipers.

So, after all that, I am wondering if my discs and or calipers are warped, my brake pads are wearing oddly causing contact and the vibration, or is there something I have completely missed here?

Any and all suggestions and help are appreciated. Thank you!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
hoonpv
4th Gear
When there's something wrong with brakes, like warped discs and so on, you will usually get vibration through steering wheel, especially during braking.

I guess since your vibration is with associated with speed and non-engine related, it has to be something with suspension components.

tires, brakes, wheel-bearings, bushings, alignments, etc etc

Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM
CrazyIvan
3rd Gear
The alignment shop didn't say anything about it?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Destructo
1st Gear
It was the bearing! Got it replaced today and the car feels brand new again.

The alignment shop didn't drive the car other than in the parking lot. Not a good sign for them I suppose.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:04 AM
CrazyIvan
3rd Gear
No not at all. Find a new shop.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Destructo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan
No not at all. Find a new shop.
Yeah I won't go back there. Except to have them fix the flashing air pressure light and the fact at speed the car still leans to the right.

Sadly they were recommended by the Tire Rack because I ordered tires through them and they were a recommended installer.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A car pulling one direction plus the pressure light points to a low tire (twice.) Check pressures to make sure

A. They filled the tires properly *then tomorrow,
B. The tires are holding air.