Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Ejected Plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ejected Plug

Alright, well as many of you know, earlier MINI's are notorious for "ejecting" sometimes stock and most of the time aftermarket spark plugs. Yesterday I was the struck down by this curse of having an aluminum head and aftermarket plugs. I have been driving on my brisk plugs for a little over 10k. They were torqued correctly and my car only has 55k on the clock. But, this is where is is a little different... See my plug didn't shoot out of the cylinder head, it stayed some what threaded and I believed it was only loose until i tried to torque it back down it spun like Alice falling down a tree trunk in Wonderland... It was bouncing around in the tube and it was a b**** to get out. Today, I went to mess with it and tried to replace the spark plug with a different one. Surprisingly, this spark plug threaded and torqued and I proceeded to drive the MINI home from work...

Now, I believe the threads are weak in the head and I have a very strong feeling the plug will get ejected once more and make a very large mess. On the other hand however, is there a possibility that my previous spark plug was just jacked and didn't want to stay in my motor... Also, the end of the threads on the spark plug were rounded (not tapered) if that helps. I understand the expansion and contraction in that area of the engine hence why I am asking if it will happen again....

Thanks

Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like that particular plug was cross-threaded. At a minimum, you may need to retap the plug threads in the head. I read in a past thread that you can stick panty hose into the cylinder to help catch all the metal shavings. Read more here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/184691-pulled-plug-2-soaked-in-oil-and-metal-bits.html

Old 07-07-2010, 10:13 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Yes i've read all about time-serts and heli-coil and the panty hose trick. Thing is I have another head to swap out just didn't know if I should or not...

Old 07-08-2010, 06:30 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by call it spade
Yes i've read all about time-serts and heli-coil and the panty hose trick. Thing is I have another head to swap out just didn't know if I should or not...
If you have options just wait to see if it was the plug says in the head. Worst case is the plug pops out and then you have to deal with it.
I am firmly in the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' camp.
If you are planning a head swap anyway get that reserve head cleaned up and ported and make the switch. (don't forget the upgraded cam)

Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 AM
call it spade
5th Gear
I really wish it was that easy just to get it ported and to buy a cam. I am seriously broke and have to pay for school so a P&P and cam aren't in the near future. I'm just going to swap heads this weekend to re insure that it wont happen again.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with thulchatt. If the plug you replaced threaded in & torqued down to spec I'd take a wait & see attitude. You may just get lucky & have it stay put.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:31 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by call it spade
I really wish it was that easy just to get it ported and to buy a cam. I am seriously broke and have to pay for school so a P&P and cam aren't in the near future. I'm just going to swap heads this weekend to re insure that it wont happen again.
I understand on the new head and low funds.
Not on topic but kind-of, make sure you stay in school and eventually you get the point after graduation when funding gets much easier.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Originally Posted by thulchatt
I understand on the new head and low funds.
Not on topic but kind-of, make sure you stay in school and eventually you get the point after graduation when funding gets much easier.
Thanks. School comes first.