Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Breaking Mini Cooper S Starters. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:46 PM
GingerSnapMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking Mini Cooper S Starters. Please help!

We have a 2004 Mini Cooper S. Where we live, we recently experienced over 12 inches of rain, causing rain to get into the air filter box on the Mini. We believe this caused the starter to break when trying to start the Mini Cooper. We replaced the starter and made sure the flywheel was ok. Once we put it all back together, before putting the spark plugs back in, we made sure the starter would try to work. Everything seemed fine. However, once we put the spark plugs back in, we believe it broke the new starter. Any ideas on what may cause this?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:12 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hydrolock? If it was running when the water got in, then the cylinders are full of water (it only takes one), the piston can't compress water (it doesn't compress) and the car is in bad shape. Without the plugs, nothing to compress so it works fine.

Really it needs a dismantling and rebuild since at speed, something will have broken.. I don't know how else you can get water out without turning it upsidedown.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
hydrolock was my first though on reading too op .... sorry

you could try pulling the plugs and cranking and cranking and maybe you could expell water but I'm far from sure of this method. Worked on a BMW motorcycle that was driven into a puddle that we didn't know was THAT deep . . . but the cyl' are horizontal with plugs on the sides so we weren't fighting gravity to get the water out.

I'd also look at the oil to see if there's water in there......

Old 07-11-2010, 07:03 PM
GingerSnapMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
hydrolock was my first though on reading too op .... sorry

you could try pulling the plugs and cranking and cranking and maybe you could expell water but I'm far from sure of this method. Worked on a BMW motorcycle that was driven into a puddle that we didn't know was THAT deep . . . but the cyl' are horizontal with plugs on the sides so we weren't fighting gravity to get the water out.

I'd also look at the oil to see if there's water in there......

Thanks for the reply!

We have had to do that already. There was some water in the cylinders but we were able to get that out from what it looks like. He has said the oil looked ok. We will need to change it just to make sure, but would the oil cause the flywheel and/or engine to break the starter?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:09 PM
GingerSnapMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by HRM
hydrolock? If it was running when the water got in, then the cylinders are full of water (it only takes one), the piston can't compress water (it doesn't compress) and the car is in bad shape. Without the plugs, nothing to compress so it works fine.

Really it needs a dismantling and rebuild since at speed, something will have broken.. I don't know how else you can get water out without turning it upsidedown.

Thanks for reply!

When we cranked the engine without the spark plugs, it pushed most of the water out. He did do this a few times and checked to see if there was any more water in the cylinders. All of the water appeared to be out.

We are kinda hoping we won't have to do the second part of your message. That does not sound like it will be much fun at all. HAHA. Sadly though, it appears that may be the case....

Old 07-11-2010, 07:19 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you may still have some water left in the cylinders. It takes very little liquid to hydrolock a motor. I seem to think if it is still turning over okay without the plugs but not when you re-install them that there is still water in one or more of the cylinders. I know this sounds weird but you can try to use a shop vac with a hose small enough to fit into the spark plug hole and attempt to suck the remaining water out. This may be a long shot but it might work. I hope that the fact the motor still turns over, it has not bent any valves or a rod.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The fact that it turns over is a good sign, but by no means puts you in the clear. I would definitely pull the head and check things out, it is going to be the easiest way to make sure you have all the water out and that nothing in that area of the engine has been damaged. Checking the bottom end is a bit more complex as you would want to pull the engine to check all of those bits.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm confident once you evacuate the water from the cylinders and replace the plugs you should be alright. Since it was a cold start attempt the damage wouldn't be as severe as a running motor ingesting water. If you break another starter then I would suggest looking for another engine block.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM
David0415
1st Gear
You could have a bent connecting rod. Try to do a compression test. Can rent the tools from autozone or advance auto.