Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fluid colors

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fluid colors

I've tried to process all the information that I read here but my brain feels totally worn out this morning.

Someone posted the colors of all the fluids in the MINI and I'm not getting anywhere trying to locate the post again. Could someone help me out on this?

So,,got my MINI in Jan. this year. Been in and out with oil leaks, wheel bearing stuff etc. Things get fixed and I'm back in with tire issues, spark plugs etc., and told to keep an eye out for more drips. These trips in and out have been a big hassle for me because of my MS. I can do minor fixes.

I noticed after oil pan fix, that the oil on the dip stick is a different color than it was after the first oil change when I first got it.
Almost gold and it's leaked this morning, on to a paper towel that I've kept in place daily. An area on the towel about 2" in diameter which is a gold color, closer to the passenger side in the center front to back of the engine area.

So, I'm considering taking it to a Chevy dealership which is close, clean and good, to give it a once over. I can't get to the MINI dealer.

I love this little car and appreciate any words of experience.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The coolant is blue. Could be a different color possibly if someone did a flush and didn't use BMW coolant. It'll smell sweet too. Oil will be a golden color at first, it will change color after a while though. It usually gets darker. Power steering fluid is almost clear with a slight green tint.

It's quite possible your oil pan gasket could be leaking again. If it's leaking after you shut it off, it could be the oil pan gasket or one of the sensors on the front of the engine. Hope it all works out for you.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
The coolant is blue. Could be a different color possibly if someone did a flush and didn't use BMW coolant. It'll smell sweet too. Oil will be a golden color at first, it will change color after a while though. It usually gets darker. Power steering fluid is almost clear with a slight green tint.

It's quite possible your oil pan gasket could be leaking again. If it's leaking after you shut it off, it could be the oil pan gasket or one of the sensors on the front of the engine. Hope it all works out for you.
Fatherdeth,
Wish you lived next door but you've got to be feeling pretty lucky that you don't.
Thanks so much.