Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

No Power from idle-2,000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 AM
stevendoll
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Power from idle-2,000 rpm

This problem has bothered me since I bought the car, but I thought I really should see if anyone has idea of fix. 03 MCS Stock. The power from idle to 2,000 rpm is non existent, then car pulls hard and is fine. This is big issue when starting car from stop especially on uphill. Also, let me clarify, this is not lack of power waiting for SC to spool up, this is barely any power. Tried sprint booster, not helpful. Did any software update fix this? Bypass valve? Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:20 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Many cars feel like this, especially on a hot day when the IC gets heat-soaked....so it is especially bad during the summer, with the AC on.

Many folks have put pulleys on....it makes it much better....
One thing, since it is a 03, what is the status of Maintenance....
Some thing might be fine # of miles wise, but be due because of age....
I'd look at the spark-plugs...often overlooked, but in a supercharged motor, they lead a very difficult life....

Look at the Ignition coil....many folks get a bit of corrosion on the tips...this can spread to the connectors on the plug wires..so if you find it, clean it up, and apply a bit id dielectric grease. (you could test the wires with an OHM meter, but they are usually fine, since on a MINI, they are very short).

You are using the best, highest octane you can buy from normal gas pumps right? ($$$ race gas not needed, but anything below premium will cause the ignition to be retarded, causing a loss of power).

I'd look at the air-filter too....even the stock one, due to how it is installed gets filthy pretty fast....I'd upgrade to a better panel filter....but a clean one of almost any type is better.
SC motors at low rpms, especially, low torque ones, like on the mini, don't do well at low rpms, but if you pay attention to the basics, it should do a bit better......

If it is still terrible (go to an MINI event, and trade cars ((even for a drive around the block or parking lot!)) with somebody with a similar car, mod wise, and see if your car drives the same), then it is time too look deeper...and maybe do a compression check, etc.

Good Luck!!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM
madmike007
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great response ZippyNH! For once, someone didn't just trow out a bunch of upgrade mods as a fix. These are all good points and great advice.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 AM
ajv915
1st Gear
There isn't a whole lot of power/torque at that low of RPM to begin with (you can look at dyno sheets). Any extra weight you have in the car or load (AC, hills, etc) on the engine would just make it feel worse. If you are really concerned about airflow, a simple boost gauge will help immensely, you'd be surprised what you can figure out just by knowing how the airflow is. The other thing you may want to think about is if your fuel filter has ever been replaced. I did mine at 115k when I got the car...it was black, the gasoline was black and there was a lot of grit. I know mini says its a lifetime part, but it needs to be changed. If you are getting no power, you might not be getting fuel to the engine, so you can always check the fuel lines as well.
Remember the engine needs 2 things to make power, fuel and air check them out first.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:23 AM
stevendoll
2nd Gear
Thanks for the leads on poss fixes. It is particularly bad with AC on. It has always had premium gas. I will plan on doing the fuel filter. New K+N filter. The plugs are original and I pulled them the other day, looked like the combustion was right, but I will change them since it is time. There is low torque and then there is total lack of power. I am wondering if this is the stumble issue that I had read on. The car has always done it, and it really is a total lack of power for that range of the RPMS, with no stalling. Considering the ECU software upgrade to whatever version is newest. Any idea how much the dealer SHOULD charge? Again, thanks for the input.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Keyser_Soze
3rd Gear
As others have suggested, a tuneup may be in order...

Or just adjust your driving style a bit... Instead of engaging the clutch just off-idle, bring the RPM's up a bit before engaging the clutch... This is what I do and it works for me... I make sure I have 2000 rpm's before I let the clutch fully engage... Takes a bit of practice, but once you get it down, it makes the off-the-line Mini experience much more enjoyable...

Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by stevendoll
Thanks for the leads on poss fixes. It is particularly bad with AC on. It has always had premium gas. I will plan on doing the fuel filter. New K+N filter. The plugs are original and I pulled them the other day, looked like the combustion was right, but I will change them since it is time. There is low torque and then there is total lack of power. I am wondering if this is the stumble issue that I had read on. The car has always done it, and it really is a total lack of power for that range of the RPMS, with no stalling. Considering the ECU software upgrade to whatever version is newest. Any idea how much the dealer SHOULD charge? Again, thanks for the input.
Dealers seem to vary ....
it should take about one half hour...(more like 15 minutes from what I have been told)...some dealers will charge you a minimum of 1 hour....so if there is more than one within driving distance, call around if you are going to go this route.
Please be sure to re-torque the plugs, and check it in a few days....many folks have had them pop out......
If it the "yoyo" this may or may not fix the problem, but if the car has not been to the dealer, it might be a good idea...heck, it might!
A good dose of Techron (one of the better fuel injector/system cleaners) might help a bit....
I will say that a custom tune, not cheap (350+100 dino time), did get me lots more torque...that was on a modified car, but, just like a pulley, it is a possibility. Both options are just that, but many have happily done them, and as I am sure you have read, the 15% pulley is generally considered a safe option, and "transforms" the car as many have said.
If you have a shop that specializes in MINI's around, other than the dealer, give them a shout, they may have some ideas, and could give you the $$ for a good preventive mantaince check.....it sounds like a bunch of things may be due/overdue. Having it looked over by someone who knows different MINI's might yeild some interesting obversations....that why sometimes club events are so useful....heck, there is usually a shop owner or MINI tech there too with their car....so they are often like a free consultation!!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 AM
CORNERS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My comments are same as above, but I would also suggest not buying discount gas from locations such as Safeway, Costco, Sam's Club, Arco. My 04 MCS ran terribly until I started buying branded gasoline, even though I was putting in premium grade. I use Shell or Chevron and it feels much more responsive.

Also, if you do just one mod, do the 15% supercharger pulley. It will give you SC boost earlier in the rev cycle. My MCS now has plenty of power starting from around 2500rpm.

But unless you put in a V6, I don't think you ever totally eliminate the lack of torque/power at idle. You definitely need to rev it to at least 1500 before letting the clutch out.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the real culprit is the tall gear ratio in 1st, it's like starting out in 2nd in most cars and MINI changed the ratios (in '05 I think) for just this reason.

The only things you can do are to disengage the A/C compressor momentarily by touching the switch, or slip the clutch a little (note - a little!) or go to smaller wheels/tires which will have the effect of shortening all of your gear ratios - which means you'll be turning higher RPMs on the highway and your speedo will be off.

Or install a newer transmission with the shorter 1st and 2nd gears......

Or buy a newer car.....

Or learn to live with it, after all - once you start getting boost - all is well!