Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Disturbing outcome to noise on '10 JCW...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010 | 04:36 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
The dipstick in my engine looks like a bit of a cross between those two, resembling the "newer" one more closely. It has no indentations or markings other than the lightly textured ("pebbled" or "crosshatched") area to which you refer. Again, I don't find that kind of indicator particularly intuitive for reading correct oil level (which, like "gmarch," I find a bit difficult to discern against the color of the plastic "bob"), but maybe it's just me...?

Agreed that it works to indicate oil level. Just wish it worked better for me...

Old 07-25-2010 | 07:35 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
What Greg said.

Old 07-25-2010 | 08:47 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Yeah, sorry , I couldn't find a pic of the newest plastic, square sectioned cross hatched one....

Still, a lot of people complain about not understanding the readings or being able to even see them. I wonder if they could have made it out of a lighter colored plastic, maybe the oil would show up on it better and make it easier to read for those having trouble?

Old 07-25-2010 | 09:04 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Still, a lot of people complain about not understanding the readings or being able to even see them. I wonder if they could have made it out of a lighter colored plastic, maybe the oil would show up on it better and make it easier to read for those having trouble?
Perhaps. It could partly just be my eyes too; every time I go for my FAA physical, I fail the color vision test miserably... Ended up with a waiver for that... I can see individual colors just fine, but picking out contrasting color patterns (depending on the combinations) just doesn't seem to work for me sometimes...

By the way: my Clubman is red, isn't it...?

Old 07-25-2010 | 09:18 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
At which point your engine is potentially ruined too... This leads me to rhetorically ask: other than that they can charge extra money for it, why doesn't MINI provide a basic gauge package (oil pressure, coolant temperature, battery voltage) on their vehicles? They promote these vehicles as members of the sports/performance class, and even my 1997 GMC Jimmy came standard with a gauge package...
Gauge options are available although they are not "OEM" they were designed by Marshall's Gauges and Custom Mini Shop (NAM Vendor) to match our interiors both in look and in color. Look at the link below posting #660 has the most recent prices on the gauges. If you have any questions look on this thread it is not only the oil pressure idiot light that I did not want to have to wait for but also the water temp which runs hotter then expected at 220F when warmed up.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...gauges-17.html

Marshall's gauges installed: H2O temp, Oil Pressure, Boost/Vac, Volts if you look in my garage/gallery I have more pictures during the install and to avoid slamming my pocketbook I was able to start with 2 then added one and finally did the last one. SRTech aka Steve at Custom Mini Shop is always willing to answer questions see my signature for information.

Last edited by Tron Chief; 07-25-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2010 | 10:31 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
Gauge options are available although they are not "OEM" they were designed by Marshall's Gauges and Custom Mini Shop (NAM Vendor) to match our interiors both in look and in color.

That's the kind of thing I'm talkin' about! And precisely the information that should be presented (coolant temperature, oil pressure, battery volts, turbo boost)!

Was that so hard, MINI...?

Old 07-25-2010 | 11:26 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
That's the kind of thing I'm talkin' about! And precisely the information that should be presented (coolant temperature, oil pressure, battery volts, turbo boost)!

Was that so hard, MINI...?
Thats what makes our cars so great. Mini produced them allowing for enough modification room to make them into the performance products that we want. Contact SRTech as several options in gages are available from electric to stepper motors allowing for evaluation of performance without waiting for the "idiot" light to come on. These gauges don't eliminate the lights as they are hooked up while still allowing the computer to do what it needs to do.

Old 07-25-2010 | 12:15 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Actually, I find it inexcusably cheap not to have had a water temp and voltmeter to start with. Maybe if they had not tried to be so cutesy with the useless center speedo they could have given us usable gauges to start with.
(yes, gauges my next project). So, what do they give for a gauge on the drop-top? A top down timer! Gasp.

Old 07-26-2010 | 10:59 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tvrgeek
Actually, I find it inexcusably cheap not to have had a water temp and voltmeter to start with. Maybe if they had not tried to be so cutesy with the useless center speedo they could have given us usable gauges to start with.
(yes, gauges my next project). So, what do they give for a gauge on the drop-top? A top down timer! Gasp.
Its really hard to find a car these days that actually has a working gauge that is not connected into the computer. My wife has the 07 Cabrio shown in the signature section with the Crono package. Even though it has oil temp it is connected to the computer so the ability to see raw data is not available. On the R56 Marshall's oil pressure gauge you unscrew the computers oil pressure sensor install an adapter and then reinstall the computers sensor and the gauges oil pressure sensor. This way the computer has its input and your gauge has it's input.

Old 08-09-2010 | 03:12 PM
jarez mifkin
Neutral
Originally Posted by gmarch
Recently, I started hearing a noise on my '10 JCW. If I had to put it in words, it sounds like a heat shield vibrating against the exhaust. Sort of a buzzing vibration noise. It happened when the car was cold, and at around 2700-4000 RPM. It went away after the car warmed up. I can't confirm this 100% as it is hard to reproduce, but I think it happened more if I cornered to the right. Every once in a while, when the car was warm, a hard turn to the right would briefly cause the noise.

OK, so I bring it to the dealer. They drive it. No noise. I leave the car so they can drive it when it is cold. The call and tell me they heard the noise, and thought it was near the timing chain area (at least that's what I think they said - left a voice mail on my cell and it was hard to hear).

I was away on business, but when I came back, I called and they said that there was no problem - but that my oil was low and that's what was causing the noise. I picked up the car last night, and there was no noise. There was no noise this morning either.

So, my concerns are:

1) Why was the oil low? Dealer explanation: "Mini says that the cars can loose x amount of oil per y amount of time/distance blah blah".

2) Why was there no oil light on? Dealer explanation: "It was low, but just above the trigger point for the light to come on"

3) Why was there a noise? One would suspect that if the oil is low, and there is a noise because of that, it would mean something is not getting lubricated and being damaged. Dealer explanation: None.

4) What was the noise, and what damage could have been done?

Basically, it seems that the tolerances for oil level are tighter than the sensor settings - something I would not have expected on a modern car.

I'd love to hear opinions on this...

Thanks,

/greg
Identical issue to my 09 JCW. I took it in this morning and got the same answer from the Service Manager. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning when I start it...

Old 08-09-2010 | 04:00 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gmarch
Wow. That is good to know!

Oh - tell me, is there a dipstick in the Mini? There is none on my X3...
You had your MINI over 6 months and never looked under the bonnet or checked the oil?