Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

timing chain tensioner....AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 PM
CaMiniMe
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
timing chain tensioner....AGAIN

so i have a 2007 S i had the dreaded timing tensioner problem and MINI fixed it a few months ago. they were very aware of the problem and assured me that once fixed it would not come back. well now its back, and over the past few weeks its got progressively worse. so i have to take it in again to have it fixed and i was wondering if you guys can give me any info i can share with the dealership so this problem REALLY doesnt happen again just in case my dealership missed anything when they fixed it the first time? this rattle really is annoying and i dont wan this happening again for a 3rd time in a few months.

thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mini has been saying that the latest fix

will fix it for good for years now. Just make sure that they use the latest service issue fix. The Cold Start Rattle thread has info about that....

Matt

Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Did they do the complete fix according to S IM 11 02 07?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 AM
CHILI-TIME
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone confirm the "Death Rattle"

Same subject, different issue...
I have had my 2007 MC in twice for the "Death Rattle"
Both times I left it overnight so they could hear it at Cold Start.
Both times they claim they couldn't hear / find anything.

Being 45 minutes away from the dealer, I cannot just drive over there when I hear it, nor can I be there when they test drive it the next morning.

Is there anyone in the vicinty of Torrington, CT that could confirm what I am hearing?

I would really appreciate a second opinion before I head over to New Country for the third time.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It's hard to believe they won't just take your word for it after all the negative publicity this has garnered.....when I described what I heard (I only heard it about 3 times) my dealer said "Bring it in, we'll take care of it" and they changed the tensioner - that was 16K ago and I've never heard it since.

Wonder why some dealers are so reluctant to help their owners and others so pro-customer?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Cause..

some dealers are a-holes! I don't get it either. Maybe they have a high bar to clear for getting warranty work paid for.

Matt

Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 AM
minimini482
4th Gear
I brought my car in to the dealer and was told this sound was no big deal and that all Mini's sound like this on cold start up... Whether thats true or not, I don't know.

Anyone else hear this knocking sound when first starting their car in the morning?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've never heard that noise on any MINI, ever!

I can't believe they think that's OK!

Have you had your tensioner replaced? What happens when you rev it up, does it go away?

My noise did not sound like that, btw. Mine sounded exacly like what it was, a loose chain sliding against the case. A new tensioner cured it......

Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
CHILI-TIME,

fwiw, my understanding is the cold start rattle/timing chain tensioner issue only affects S models.

But I feel your pain about hoping the service tech will hear the same thing you hear.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:03 PM
todoubled
3rd Gear
2 tensioners replaced and ill put money on it it will be back when it gets cooler out

Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM
pillar
5th Gear
Is it me or does it sound like something is seriously loose... Whens the last time you got an oil change?

I remember when my oil filter wasn't on properly and i was losing oil by the second... it only took a few min b4 i heard that similar sound.

Everybody that works/owns a mini knows that isnt a "normal" sound... stupid dealership

Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CHILI-TIME
Same subject, different issue...
I have had my 2007 MC in twice for the "Death Rattle"
Both times I left it overnight so they could hear it at Cold Start.
Both times they claim they couldn't hear / find anything.

Being 45 minutes away from the dealer, I cannot just drive over there when I hear it, nor can I be there when they test drive it the next morning.

Is there anyone in the vicinty of Torrington, CT that could confirm what I am hearing?

I would really appreciate a second opinion before I head over to New Country for the third time.
So you have a death rattle on a NA N12 Cooper? While it's entirely possible since they have the same tensioner setup as the MCS it's not something I've heard of before. Do you by chance have any video of this to share?

Old 07-29-2010, 05:42 AM
minimini482
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I've never heard that noise on any MINI, ever!

I can't believe they think that's OK!

Have you had your tensioner replaced? What happens when you rev it up, does it go away?

My noise did not sound like that, btw. Mine sounded exacly like what it was, a loose chain sliding against the case. A new tensioner cured it......
I haven't had my tensioner replaced. When I brought it in to the dealer, I thought thats what they might do, but they said this was a 'normal start up sound'. When I rev it, it does go away. After searching some other You Tube vids, I found this one posted by another NAM member who has the same sound on cold start idle. Only difference is when he revs his engine you can tell something is def wrong/loose.

Originally Posted by pillar
Is it me or does it sound like something is seriously loose... Whens the last time you got an oil change?

I remember when my oil filter wasn't on properly and i was losing oil by the second... it only took a few min b4 i heard that similar sound.

Everybody that works/owns a mini knows that isnt a "normal" sound... stupid dealership
I just did an oil change about 200 miles ago; I have checked the oil filter and drain plug several times for leaks but everything seems to be fine. I added 4.4 quarts of oil and the level is right in the middle of the dip stick. I guess all I can do is monitor it and if it gets worse, take it back in.

I have read here that that these cars do need oil added to them between oil changes, so maybe Ill have to add some sooner rather than later?

Old 07-29-2010, 01:52 PM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Dealers don't need to hear it. They have a procedure for specific measurements. I have seen the sheet. If they fail to do this, then they are at fault.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:04 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tvrgeek
Dealers don't need to hear it. They have a procedure for specific measurements. I have seen the sheet. If they fail to do this, then they are at fault.
They need to hear the problem to decide whether checking the chain tensioner is going to be part of the diagnostic procedure.