Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Couple questions to fix some minor things

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 PM
FeydJM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple questions to fix some minor things

So my car needs a few minor things done and I need a little help.

First, I need a new power steering fan. I read some threads about replacing the pump, but is the fan pretty easy to replace? Bavauto has the fan for 154 and the dealer quoted me 245 parts and labor. So is it easy enough for me to save $90?

Second, on my driver side rear muffler there is a band on the bottom of the muffler that is not attached to anything. Looks like the one on the passenger side connects to a band on the top of the muffler. Does anyone have an exploded view of the rear mufflers so I can figure out what's missing to replace it?

Third, the dealer suggested I replace the valve cover gasket and they quoted me 266 total. I've done this before on my old 240 sx but that car didn't have an intercooler on top of the engine. Is this an easy job? I know the part should be pretty cheap.

Fourth, i've read several threads about doing the front control arm bushings and am not sure I am comfortable doing this job. Dealer quoted 445 for labor to install poly bushings for me. Do you all think I should be Able to get this done for a bit cheaper somewhere else.

Anyway, thanks for any answers!
Justin

Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 AM
ajv915
1st Gear
1. Fan is easy to replace, see the how to. It might not fully prevent a pump failure, but it should increase the life of the pump.

2. see realoem. com A great resource for finding the parts and schematics for MINI/BMW

3. & 4. not sure, hopefully someone else will answer

Old 07-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here you go!

Valve cover gasket = easy.The first time you take off and replace the IC, it's a bit of a pain, but once you get the hang of the boots it's really a no brainer.

Control arm bushings are a bit more involved a job. Some do it with the subframe in place, I drop the whole subframe. If that makes you uncomfortable, then go anywhere but a dealership for the work. Even if your dealership has good techs, they have some of the highest hourly rates out there. Take it as an opportunity to start with a local independant MINI shop and form a relationship with them. They will save you a lot of money over time.

Matt

Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 PM
FeydJM
1st Gear
Thanx for the replies so far. Thanx to realoem I've got some of the parts on the way from pelican.

I got a couple prices from a local mini servicer but they were actually more expensive than the dealer! I'm going to keep looking!

Until i can afford to fix the oil pan gasket, does any of the gasket putty stuff provide any kind of stop gap measure? I've seen where it says it will fill a gap up to a quarter inch which seems a little silly, but i was thinking that maybe I could use a dap on the outside of the leak to contain it somewhat.

Thoughts?
Justin