Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

oil change interval

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 02:43 AM
etherised
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am almost due for my first "scheduled" oil change --- that is, i've just passed 10k miles and the computer tells me that in roughly 700 miles it will turn the light on which will get me my first free oil change.

however, it has been bothering me for some time that the interval should be so long (10k miles seems a bit high to me), and i am starting to regret that i didn't get it changed at least once. i'm not used to running oil for more than 3k miles.

out of curiosity, i checked with Castrol on their website to see what they recommend. i noticed that MINI recommends Castrol Syntec oil (it's stamped on the valve cover i think), so i thought i would see what they had to say. for Syntec oils, Castrol recommends oil changes at 3,000 miles! now i realize that even conventional oils can be run that long without much problem, but what bothers me is the discrepancy between what MINI recommends (approx. 10,000 miles) and what Castrol recommends (3,000 miles).

the only thing that brings me some comfort is that i've been adding oil as my motor has been burning it off. to this point i've added about 4 quarts i think. can anyone offer me some words of comfort?

Old 12-10-2003, 05:24 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Sort of confirms what I have said on other posts. Castrol Syntec is not a true syn. oil as it starts with a dino (conventional)oil base. I didn't realize that even on their own website Castrol recommends 3k mile change intervals with their Syntec.
I changed my oil at 2210 mile and went with Redline 5w30 and glad I did.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:14 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Do a search, this horse has been beaten so many times on here that there's nothing left to it but a pile of dust.

Bottom line, if you're really paranoid do it at 5k. But somebody here who handles synthetic lubricants says you can go 35k with the Syntec w/out any significant breakdown of the oil.

But 3k with the Syntec is pushing it.

Remember only the scheduled changes are free, you pay for all the others.

Oh and according to your MINI your next change is approx 15K after the first, not 10

Old 01-05-2004, 01:16 AM
jacquesmontoya
Neutral
I just signed in because I am now up to 14k miles -- I did the first oil change at 10k as seemingly all the recommendations indicated. I got all kinds of slack form various "experts" - not Mini drivers or owners, that that was way to long a wait for the first change. Now I understand that 15k is the next recommended change. And I am a bit worried that that may be too long a wait. I dont put a lot of miles on the car (MAXSEE-MCS-02/wt rf), but I want to treat "her" right. Should I call Cincy Mini and get the change now (14k) or wait till 15k approx another "month or so"??? And then should it be every 3k after that? The Manual isn't really very much help. So I am asking for the Collective Mini Wisdom on this issue.
Thanks
David / jacquesmontoya
jacquesmontoya@hotmail.com - my aol - sevenderwent is on the blink at the mo!

Old 01-05-2004, 01:20 AM
jacquesmontoya
Neutral
>>>> Do a search, this horse has been beaten so many times on here that there's nothing left to it <<<
Hi - Ummm -- Do you mean search here or where else? for more info on oil changes?
thanks
Jacquesmontoya

Old 01-05-2004, 01:36 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
>>I just signed in because I am now up to 14k miles -- I did the first oil change at 10k as seemingly all the recommendations indicated. I got all kinds of slack form various "experts" - not Mini drivers or owners, that that was way to long a wait for the first change. Now I understand that 15k is the next recommended change. And I am a bit worried that that may be too long a wait. I dont put a lot of miles on the car (MAXSEE-MCS-02/wt rf), but I want to treat "her" right. Should I call Cincy Mini and get the change now (14k) or wait till 15k approx another "month or so"??? And then should it be every 3k after that? The Manual isn't really very much help. So I am asking for the Collective Mini Wisdom on this issue.
>>Thanks
>>David / jacquesmontoya
>>jacquesmontoya@hotmail.com - my aol - sevenderwent is on the blink at the mo!

Go by the service indicator on your big dash mounted speedometer. When you turn on the engine the number of miles until your next oil change will be flashed momentarily in the odometer area. If you are about 14K miles now then it should read about 11K miles until your next oil change. First oil change is about 10-12 K miles and the second comes about 25K miles or roughly 15K after the first.

Since you have full synthetic oil in your MINI you do not need to change the oil any more than the dealership is recommending you change it. Some owners will change oil at earlier intervals but it is not a requirement.

If you had a regular car with standard oil then oil changes every 3000 miles or four months would be OK. Read your manual and talk to your service dept.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:56 AM
MiniTron
3rd Gear
>> I didn't realize that even on their own website Castrol recommends 3k mile change intervals with their Syntec.

Don't forget, Castrol is in the business of selling you more oil. VW now recommends a 10,000 mile service interval, and they don't insist on Synthetic.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:33 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Hi - Ummm -- Do you mean search here or where else? for more info on oil changes?
Here, on North American Motoring...

Old 01-06-2004, 01:19 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's any comfort to you, the current 911 (the 996) has a 15000 mile oil change interval. Yes, it uses synthetic oil (lots of it...).

Old 01-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Monkey_Boy
5th Gear
Guys, the old school days of oil shavings and other bits of doo in the oil of a new engine have past, thank God. Most modern engines simply do not require low mileage oil changes.

Case in point, when I purchased my 2002 Honda Goldwing, the dealer told me that one Honda test of the the Goldwing engine included the following: One engine had oil changes every 3k miles, another at their recommended interval of 8k miles, and one they did NO oil change for 35k miles. Know what? Each engine showed the same amount of wear: essentially zero.

For us older dudes, it's hard to let go of the old days. But a new day has dawned, for a number of very good reasons. One reason why German cars have such long oil change intervals is German law requires it. If you drive under normal conditions, you're nuts to waste time and money with oil changes different from what the company recommends.

I don't think BMW or Porsche is kidding that a 15k mile interval is fine.

Old 01-06-2004, 05:59 PM
InfoSec
2nd Gear
Trust the newer Synthetics they work. When it's my time for an oil change I will give the dealer the oil I want them to use (Red Line 10W30) on my Mini. Oil is your car's best friend.

Cheers :smile:

Old 01-06-2004, 07:03 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Hear! Hear! for the Redline... been using it for years. I used the 5w30 at 2210 miles. Now feel safe going to 10K. Will give dealer my Redline for the first service then, go to recommended 15K until next service.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:55 AM
SMKKVK
4th Gear
My thought for an oil/filter change is not only for fresh oil, but just as important (maybe more?) to get a new filter in the system for optimal filtration.

We post a lot about the need to change the oil, pluses and minuses; how about the needs of a new filter at less than MINI recommended?

Old 01-07-2004, 08:37 AM
apexer
6th Gear
My thought for an oil/filter change is not only for fresh oil, but just as important (maybe more?) to get a new filter in the system for optimal filtration

Good thought. When I changed my oil for the first time, I cut open the filter and examined it real close. Saw nothing.. no chips-no flakes- no sparkle.. NOTHING.
That speaks good for the Mini-S motor but, since I did this a 2210 miles, I'm not sure the actual validity of this test.
Has anyone torn apart their filters after say a 10,000 mile change?

Old 01-07-2004, 10:38 AM
jacquesmontoya
Neutral
911fan-- >> If it's any comfort to you, the current 911 (the 996) has a 15000 mile oil change interval. Yes, it uses synthetic oil (lots of it...).

THAT is a comfort to know. I shall now keep my revs up in the fives for each gear change knowing MAXSEE is covered. Oilily speaking! - LOL
Jacques

Old 01-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Monkey_Boy
5th Gear
>>We post a lot about the need to change the oil, pluses and minuses; how about the needs of a new filter at less than MINI recommended?

You should change the filter when changing the oil.

Like I said, I think we're having trouble believing the mfg'ers recommendations these days. Perhaps we bought into the "normal" 3k mile oil change too deeply... I even wonder if in the old days, the auto companies were in cahoots with Valvoline, et al -- just to sell you oil.

We see the same thing at track days. I do a lot of track days on a motorcycle (I'm a motorcycle track instructor) and many people change tires more often than they need to. However, new tires provide a boost to one's confidence, I can atest to that myself, and as a novice to intermediate rider I changed tires much more often. Now I just ride the tires until I'm tired of controlling the sliding.

Old 01-13-2004, 06:24 AM
cooper44
4th Gear
Now I just ride the tires until I'm tired of controlling the sliding.
>>
>>

That's one of the coolest comments I've read on this site! Cheers!

Craig

Old 01-13-2004, 11:42 AM
MINIJC
2nd Gear
I think that the issue about frequency of oil changes is a never ending debatable topic!
Changing the oil at the specified manufacturer's intervals and using also the specified oil type should be appropriate and enough to keep your engine functioning correctly.
In the other hand, if you are worried about the length of the oil change interval, and if your pocket can afford the cost involved with more frequent oil changes... well it's your money and it's buying peace of mind for you... You are the boss and you can change your engine's oil as frequently as you please... :smile: