Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Master Keys - Are we really at Mini's mercy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:48 PM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Master Keys - Are we really at Mini's mercy?

Well, we just picked up an 03 MCS and it only came with 1 key. It didn't work at the dealership to unlock with the key fob, but I figured it was just a programming problem.

Well, I came here and tried the 2 methods to program it, replaced the battery and nothing works.

I called 2 local Mini dealers (and by local, I mean 1 is 73 miles away and the other is 100 miles away) and the Master Key is $155 at both. One told me that if I give them the VIN, it will come pre-programmed. The other told me that I had to pay $50 to get it programmed once I got it.

Are we really at the mercy of Mini? Holy cow....They must make a mint off these keys. If they weren't reverse cut, you could get them anywhere for $30 with the fob options, but since they have to come straight from Mini, they are $150.

Is there any dealership on the forums that offers a discount for keys? I'm sure there's at least a 30% markup in them, so they could make a lot of money by offering a deal to us on them.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:06 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ViperGTS
Well, we just picked up an 03 MCS and it only came with 1 key. It didn't work at the dealership to unlock with the key fob, but I figured it was just a programming problem.

Well, I came here and tried the 2 methods to program it, replaced the battery and nothing works.

I called 2 local Mini dealers (and by local, I mean 1 is 73 miles away and the other is 100 miles away) and the Master Key is $155 at both. One told me that if I give them the VIN, it will come pre-programmed. The other told me that I had to pay $50 to get it programmed once I got it.

Are we really at the mercy of Mini? Holy cow....They must make a mint off these keys. If they weren't reverse cut, you could get them anywhere for $30 with the fob options, but since they have to come straight from Mini, they are $150.

Is there any dealership on the forums that offers a discount for keys? I'm sure there's at least a 30% markup in them, so they could make a lot of money by offering a deal to us on them.
I think one problem you might run into is that as far as I know YOU need to go pick up the key. For security purposes I am pretty sure you cannot just order the key over the phone and have them mail it to you. The dealership I used to work at had you bring in proof of ownership and photo ID before you ordered the key and only the owner/purchaser of said key/car could pick it up.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:51 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it depends entirely on the dealership.

I was able to obtain a second key from a local dealer via mail; I just had to send them a copy of my license and proof of registration.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 AM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes most dealers require that you come in IN PERSON with driver license and title or registration to get the key.

You HAVE to order it VIN specific. Then when you get the key it will have a silly tag with a barcode and 40 digits on it. Then the dealer has to program that code into the body control unit to make the car recongize the key.
That is how it is done on ALL 02-04 MINI's. 05-06 keys and programming is different.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:56 AM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
They told me I could fax the registration, VIN and a copy of my driver's license and they would order it. Sounds like I may as well go pick it up so they can program it at that time though.

Thanks for all the input!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:06 AM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ViperGTS
Virtually all new cars are like this. Keys are no longer just a simple piece of metal with a specific pattern cut into them. They now have RFIDs that the car computer must see in order to start. Depending on the car, you need an RFID that's specific to your VIN or have the car programmed to that unique RFID. The fob itself is an additional set of electronics that are now usually built into the key for convenience. This also adds to the cost.

The last used car I bought originally had just a single key. Because of this, I negociated that if they couldn't find the second key, they had to reduce the price an additional $250 (actual replacement cost). This gave them great motivation to find me that second key which they did!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aDeLoreanGuy
The last used car I bought originally had just a single key. Because of this, I negociated that if they couldn't find the second key, they had to reduce the price an additional $250 (actual replacement cost). This gave them great motivation to find me that second key which they did!
That's a better job than I managed! My (non-MINI) dealer referred me to a local locksmith they knew should be able to finagle a new key. Obviously this was before I knew any better.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Carlisle
4th Gear
I have two round key fobs in mint condition from my old 2009 MCS that burnt up (R.I.P. Clark!) and I would love to use them with my new ride. One dealership told me it is IMPOSSIBLE to reprogram an existing key. Another dealership told me it takes about an hour of labour to reprogram a key to be used on another car-- and that they have done it before but that it is irritating.