Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Water leak onto my left foot

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water leak onto my left foot

I live in Vegas so water intrusion isn't normally a problem, but I recently drove through some rain and soon thereafter hit an auto car wash (I know, but it was brushless) and in both cases I felt water dripping onto my left foot. Not pouring, just a slow drip. Only thing I can think of is that when I installed my driver lights and oogah horn I ran the wires through the firewall behind the steering wheel and am wondering if that's where it's coming from.

Normally I wear full shoes but on this trip I had on sandals...so it's possible it's happened before and I just didn't feel it.

Anyone else have this issue?

Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
looking at your sig b4 finishing reading your post I said "hmmmm, wonder how the wires for the driving lights were run?" In my poking around in that neighborhood there isn't any piping to cause a problem - and you say it only happens when there is an outside source so I'd check out the penetrations you made to get those wires thru. Water that should be draining from the cowl area might be getting thru there .... but the cowl shouldn't fill up that high in my experience so check the cowl drains too.... find the drain hole and try to snake a wire all the way thru. You could even pour in a quart of water and see what happens....

Did you come thru one of the existing rubber grommets or drill new holes? A little RTV - aka aquarium leak sealer - might be a good first shot at sealing the leak.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went through an existing grommet. Checking the cowl drain is a good thought. Maybe when I get to my parents (they have tools) as I'm on vacation (of course)