Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Would like to confirm my harmonic balancer is dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:50 PM
thomasm
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would like to confirm my harmonic balancer is dead

Hey all,

So I have the symptoms of harmonic balancer failure. Sudden loss of power, battery / emi / service engine lights, white smoke from under the engine bay. Managed to baby it home.

I just finished taking off the wheel well cover and attempting to remove the pulley following the instructions to do so without OEM tools on this forum. Unfortunately, I can't get it off. Getting someone in the car holding the brakes w/ the car in high gear has too much play. But that's ok, I don't mind buying the OEM tool.

Anyway, I did get the belt off and took a look around the pulley. The ribbed portion of the harmonic balancer that makes contact with the belt is completely loose. I can turn the pulley with a breaker bar and hold the part that contacts the belt and it will stay still. It will also spin in both directions with no effort at all, while the rest of the balancer remains motionless.

Pretty sure that confirms it is the harmonic balancer (it has completely separated), but want to see if anyone has some insight before I go drop cash on the oem tool & a new pulley.

Thanks!

Edit: For anyone whom finds this in a search.

If the portion of the harmonic balancer that contacts the belt spins freely after removing your belt, the harmonic balancer is definitely toast.

Last edited by thomasm; 08-11-2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Answering my own question for future reference.