Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Broken fog light lens

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:43 PM
cori
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken fog light lens

The lens in my starbord fog light is holed. I assume I need a whole fog light assembly. Much has been written about owners placing the bulbs, but not the whole assembly. Is it something a reasonably coordinated person can do themself? I don't want to pay $35-40 for an assembly and not be able to get it connected. Or, can you get replacement lenses?
Cori

Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cori
The lens in my starbord fog light is holed. I assume I need a whole fog light assembly. Much has been written about owners placing the bulbs, but not the whole assembly. Is it something a reasonably coordinated person can do themself? I don't want to pay $35-40 for an assembly and not be able to get it connected. Or, can you get replacement lenses?
Cori
Sorry, but the lenses are made of plastic and glued to the housing. Replacing with a new unit is a simple operation. Remove right wheel, unscrew front portion of wheel well and pull out of your way. You will then see the fog light. Unplug light bulb and there are three screws holding the housing in place. It will just fall out. The new fog light will come with a new bulb. Reinstall the new one in reverse order and your good to go. Easy-peasy

Old 08-03-2010, 09:09 PM
plasticknives
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just be sure to order the correct fog light for your year. They switched the design in 2005 I believe, going from h7 bulbs to h11.

It is a very easy swap.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 AM
JeffM
3rd Gear
I wouldn't call this super simple, but it's certainly not hard, either. Getting the splash shield off of the wheel well can be tricky, as the fasteners are plastic and can be stubborn and easy to strip. Use the right size driver and be careful.
Also, when I did this job I got a little bit of Stonegard film or similar and covered the lenses with that to possibly help prevent future breaks, since they are in such a vulnerable spot. Since it's a pain to get to these lamps, I recommend this preventive protection. I found some of the film on Ebay pretty cheap and just trimmed to fit my lamps.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 to plastic fasteners being stubborn. They often get dirt embedded around the edges. You may have to use a combination of a flat-head and a phillips head. The flat-head should be placed in the notches of the ring around the edge. This will prevent the entire plastic housing from spinning around. You may also have to apply a small amount of pressure to help force the screw to start twisting out.