Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

buy a code reader? or trust the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
krishnika
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy a code reader? or trust the dealer?

I've got a 2006MC with no issues/no performance mods. But the airbag warning light has been on for about 5 months. It's been on since I reconnected the battery one day after hooking up an iPod adapter to the CDC cables in the trunk, so I think something just got tripped as opposed to really having a problem.
I was planning on just taking it in to the MINI dealer where I am right now for a check, but I don't know them. My car is still under the 4 year warranty, but after reading so many posts about nightmare dealerships, I was wondering if I should be pro-active about what's going on with the car before taking it in. I should add I know absolutely nothing about cars - this is my 1st one. Wouldn't mind learning a bit, but I'm not naturally gifted when it comes to mechanics.
Is it worth getting a code reader (saw one on the outmotoring site) if I don't do any work on the car myself? or willl the service center do a reading and show me all the codes themselves?
thanks.

Last edited by krishnika; 08-04-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
First know what they will charge you to read the code. Touching your car probably means $65 no matter what it is.

You can get a basic code reader for that.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM
motoko
Neutral
I'd recommend just going to Autozone and getting them to read the codes for you. It is free.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:23 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
Originally Posted by motoko
I'd recommend just going to Autozone and getting them to read the codes for you. It is free.
2nd that.

Or Advanced Auto or similar.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
MINILLA
4th Gear
If it's under warranty still then you should go back to the dealer...even if it is one you've never dealt with before.....why would you want to do anything else?
Philip

Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think having a code reader is a good idea, that way you don't have to traipse down to the parts store when something happens. And I agree with the idea of knowing what's going on with your car before you take it to the dealer. I bought a pretty good code reader on sale at Harbor Freight for only $40 (reg $80), also my new Garmin can read and reset codes too.

Lastly, don't fear your MINI dealer, get to know them. Take them cookies or buy them a coke, get them on your side and don't assume they're a bunch of incompetent jerks who are just there to make your life miserable. Chances are, they aren't....

If they fix the problem under warranty they won't charge you to read the code.

Once your car is out of warranty, they will charge you - usually an hour's labor.

Having the code won't help you if you don't understand what it means, so you may have to do some reading first, or take an automotive course at your local Community College.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 PM
krishnika
2nd Gear
thanks for all the advice. I think I'll just call the dealer since I've got the warranty. It will be up in Dec though. Is there anything I should do/check to take full advantage of the remaining warranty period? or will the dealer automatically fix anything else they may happen to find when I take it in?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does not hurt to have a code reader. I like to at least have some kind of an idea of my problem if I do have to go to a dealer/mechanic.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
You should just take it to the dealer since your under warranty but I wouldn't mention hooking up the adapter. Also no you shouldn't necessarily trust that the dealer will find other issues. I'm not sure what exactly to tell you to look out for I'm sure someone can give you some guidance. But my last trip to the dealer taught me a lesson in just puting faith that they'd do a thorough job. I went in cuz some lights came on and all they said I needed was new bushings and that it must be a computer glitch. A few days later the lights came back on...I'm not under warranty so I went to a mechanic I've had positive interactions with before. He came back with 2 major things that needed fixing my powersteering fan and spark plugs (I've got 96k on Baxter) also some little things. Anyway since that trip no lights and a pleasant motoring experience. The point of my rambling is don't rely on the dealer to find problems.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only the dealership can clear out the airbag warning light. It's on a different bus than the stand Pxxxx codes for diagnosing problems. Keep in mind the light may be indicating another issue. Mine came on three months ago, and it turned out I had water in my battery box, which was coming in from a bad seal. The fault was due to the main fuse module next to the battery having corrosion. The dealership had to replace that, as well as the battery cables.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 AM
krishnika
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JumpingJackFlash
Only the dealership can clear out the airbag warning light. It's on a different bus than the stand Pxxxx codes for diagnosing problems.
yeah, I was wondering about that. I don't have any experience with code readers and the descriptions for different models only mentioned engine and emissions issues - nothing about airbag systems. Thanks.