Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine Damper/Dealer Quote/DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:49 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Damper/Dealer Quote/DIY?

Alright, after ALL this time that I've had problems with stuttering, and DSC, SES, stumbling, and horrible power loss at times I have finally figured out the answer. They just opened a BRAND NEW MINI DEALER (if anyone lives in my area its right next to Advantage BMW at 518 and I-45) Took my car there yesterday and they were GREAT help. Talked to the Service tech and he sent out a tech within minutes (and this was at 4:00 before everyone was packing up to leave lol) The tech instantly knew what the deal was, took it to the shop and did a couple checks with the engine codes. He came back and told me it was indeed the engine damper. Cracked, just like the average Mini with 100K lol. These are the part numbers he gave me,

11-23-7-525-135 SOP VIBRATIO $447.95
11-23-7-829-918 SOP HEX BOLT $8.55

He quoted me for 3 Hours of work. (Not sure what they charge an hour)

What I need to know is if this is something I can do myself or would it simply be easier to just have them do it. Obviously you can't tell me if I have the knowledge to do it but if there is a DIY or anything like that than I can do it. Is there a better aftermarket part that I can use? The only thing that worries me a little bit is I have heard after a lot of miles sometimes the Hex bolt breaks and you can't get it out! But if you could just give me some basic info and or websites to look at/buy parts from that would be great! Thanks!

Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
GL, no MINI mechanics in your local club ?

3 hrs is their book rate but a competant mechanic should be able to do that in half that time.

If I may suggest I would look at another option besides the OEM Crank Pulley. The pulley used in 2002 and 2003 is heavy and they have a tendency to separate. You are lucky to have made it to 100K IMO. Mine was begining to separate when I had about 80K miles, so you did good.

I would consider installing the updated dampened crank pulley from an 05/06 MCS or the aftermarket one from Waymotorworks. http://www.waymotorworks.com/super-d...ulley-r53.html
They are a better alternative and both are about 3-4lbs lighter than the one we had.

And do the main bearing seal while replacing it too. They are known to seep oil about as good as our oil pan gaskets.......

Old 08-14-2010, 09:30 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Wow, thanks for all that! What do you mean about the Mini Club??! Didn't even know I had one of those! Lol. Yeah, I have an oil leak right now and the bottom of my car is ALWAYS covered in oil so I hope to fix that as well. I will make sure to mention the main bearing seal I guess once I de IDE to drop it off. I hope I can get it a little cheaper, that'd be nice! Especially if the part is indeed 500 bucks! But I will most likely go with the aftermarket so I don't run into this again. I have a 15% reduction, should I go with the 2% overdrive or the regular crank pulley? If I got with the 2% will I need a new belt? Thanks again!

Last edited by GumbyLara; 08-14-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-

And do the main bearing seal while replacing it too. They are known to seep oil about as good as our oil pan gaskets.......

Is the recommended proceedure to pull it out with a hook, then bang it in with a socket? I never replaced a seal with a crank in place, though I just never thought about it or needed to before. It sounds like a good idea.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINI club = someone close to where you live that knows MINIs. If you have good local mechanic he should be able to do it at a fraction as mentioned. There is no need to go to the dealer for something out of warranty unless you have deep pockets.

The crank by Way is supposed to be awesome and highly recommended as it has the damper on it unlike many of the aftermarket pulleys. Being near Houston I am sure that you can find a good mech to help you out.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:31 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
I called a local shop yesterday and they quoted for three hours as well and at 94 bucks and hour. I'm going to keep checking around though. I have a 15% pulley, if I get the 2% overdrive would it put a lot more wear on my SC? I'm at 100k but if I can do it I would like too! Also what size built would I need? Thanks for all the help and if anyone cannot recommend a shop near by I'll check it out!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:52 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
What is the difference between the waymotor one and the Alta crank pulley? Could I use that one? Why is it soooo much cheaper?

http://www.altaperformance.com/produ...Pulley-R53-R52

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Dampner on one and none on the other. I personally don't recommend using one without a dampner on it. Way's has a dampner......

Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Yeah, after doing some research I answered my own question lol. Probably should have done that before I posted but thanks. Is there really a downside? I mean I have read what "it could" do but has anyone actually had a problem using it? Honestly I will probably get the 2% from Way just because it's a lighter, better made product and like they say, you get what you pay for! Thanks

Old 10-21-2010, 11:51 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GumbyLara
Yeah, after doing some research I answered my own question lol. Probably should have done that before I posted but thanks. Is there really a downside? I mean I have read what "it could" do but has anyone actually had a problem using it? Honestly I will probably get the 2% from Way just because it's a lighter, better made product and like they say, you get what you pay for! Thanks

There have been a few that have posted issues with bearing seals leaking. Is this due to vibration? Unknown to be honest, but if the engineers felt it was necessary to go with a crank that had a dampner then it is probably best to stick with it.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:58 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Yeah, that's what I've been reading. I was going to pull the trigger and buy it but your totally right, why would it be on there if it weren't necessary!