Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stage 1 Fan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:51 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stage 1 Fan?

So I went to the dealer to get a complimentary AC performance check, and they said it couldn't be checked for two reasons:

1. Power steering fan is not working
2. Engine fan stage 1 isn't working

Stage 2 is working; after I turn off my car, a loud fan can be heard trying to cool down the engine. They said the AC will not work since it doesn't want to overwork the fans since it's not cooling properly.

Does anyone know the part numbers, have diagrams, a DIY page or any information about this stage 1 fan? I can't afford the $650+ at Patrick MINI in Schaumburg...

Thank you everyone and anyone!

-2002 R53, pre Jan 2003.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thevastdifference
...1. Power steering fan is not working

Does anyone know the part numbers, have diagrams, a DIY page or any information about this stage 1 fan?
The PS fan is an easy fix. You can get the fan from a dealer or mail order from a variety of places. But before you replace it check to be sure that it simply is not the fuse. Are the blades stuck if you push them with your finger? Have you overheated lately? That is an indication that the fan is bad as well. And does it have a rock shield? At some point it should have been changed under warranty to an upgraded fan with rock shield.

Then there is the radiator fan. It is most assuredly has been bad for a while. A good independent can change that for about two hours labor as the Mini needs to be in service mode to get the fan in and out. The dealer has the fan for close to $300. But I bought one from Rock Auto for $80 and it was indistinguishable from OEM so you get to choose where you get it from.

Where do you live? Perhaps someone can recommend a local shop that can do this job for you at undoubtably half of what the dealer will charge. Again, the PS fan you can do yourself. The radiator fan is a bigger job but there are detailed instructions somewhere in the forums if you want to tackle it.

Rich

Old 08-15-2010, 03:57 AM
zeus7625
3rd Gear
Location: So far south in AL, one more step and I'm swimming (in oil)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I went to the dealer to get a complimentary AC performance check, and they said it couldn't be checked for two reasons:

Stage 2 is working; after I turn off my car, a loud fan can be heard trying to cool down the engine. They said the AC will not work since it doesn't want to overwork the fans since it's not cooling properly.

Does anyone know the part numbers, have diagrams, a DIY page or any information about this stage 1 fan? I can't afford the $650+ at Patrick MINI in Schaumburg...

-2002 R53, pre Jan 2003.

Bookmark this site for all your part number needs. No MINI owner should be without it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

You can get your production date from the rear door sill on the driver's side.
Good luck.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
thank you.. thank you so much!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM
zminitech
2nd Gear
Your A/C should still work regardless of stage 1 operation or the P/S fan for that matter.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:21 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by zminitech
Your A/C should still work regardless of stage 1 operation or the P/S fan for that matter.
Really? The MINI dealer told me they cant even check it..

Before I took it to MINI, I had a friend look at it; the A/C light turns on, the fan blows, and even after the recharge, it still doesn't blow cold air..

If the stage 1 operation isn't working, is this all I need to replace?
http://new.minimania.com/InvDetail.c...695&googlebase

Old 08-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Old 08-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Really? The MINI dealer told me they cant even check it..
I can't see why not. If the compressor is engaging then they can check it. But if the low speed fan is out it will not cool very well unless you are at speed. Changing my fan made a BIG difference for me.

If the stage 1 operation isn't working, is this all I need to replace?
http://new.minimania.com/InvDetail.c...695&googlebase
Yes. You need the one with two connectors and the external resister referenced in the other thread will not work on yours.

Rich

Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
A good independent can change that for about two hours labor as the Mini needs to be in service mode to get the fan in and out.
Rich

I've seen "service mode" mentioned before as a requirement to remove the fan shroud. What is this and how is it done?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Vincent Hill
1st Gear
I do not know about this "Service Mode" because reading the Sensors do not show that the fan is having a problem! also if it was having a problem, I plan to clear all of the codes and take the car for a serious ride and clear the sensors when I finish!

To change the Fan, you will need to had the Pins that I found on E-Bay for $35 that allow you to pull the Modular Front end out and then swing out the AC Condenser then drain the Radiator and then pull out the assembly and replace the Fan!

I like Rock Auto but did not know they had the correct fan assembly for the "S".

Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 AM
ghurm001
2nd Gear
"Service mode" just refers to the position that the radiator is in... apparently you can put a couple 100mm bolts in where the radiator bolts come out of and then the whole system can be slid away from the front side of the motor.. you'll need to take the whole front bumper assembly off to get to it.. can be done without it, though. hell, i managed to switch out my a/c compressor without it, i just had my friend hold it up while I monkeyed with it.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Got it. The term "service mode" had an electrical setting sound to it. I am having the high speed fan only problem too. Real annoying. The fan goes on and off every 20 seconds or so. Sliding the fan out without removing the radiator sounds easy enough.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Vincent Hill
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Lucas63
Got it. The term "service mode" had an electrical setting sound to it. I am having the high speed fan only problem too. Real annoying. The fan goes on and off every 20 seconds or so. Sliding the fan out without removing the radiator sounds easy enough.

Me too! I thought this was an Electrical / Computer setting you were talking about!

Since I have to take almost everything apart anyway, and I have these Pins already, I might as well make it easy on myself! I am Hoping that in 2 Sundays that I can get all of my work done with maybe a few evenings!

I am replacing the Fan, Steering rack, Both Drive axles, Camber plates (Top of the Shocks) Control Arm Bushings, Catalytic Converter and the Rear Lower Adjustor Arms that set Camber. Then off to get it Aglined!

Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
You can buy an aftermarket fan from Rock-Auto, TYC brand is very good, for under $100.
There is a few guides around....
A girls guide to service mode is pretty good....and there are a few fan threads with pics....not super easy...a bit of a pain, but not hard. Just remember, unbolt the ac condenser, and swing it out of the way..DO NOT disconnect it!! Just support it, with a box, or bungee, and do the swap.
You do not need to buy the bolts for $35...they are just LONG bolts...Carriage bolts I think by name...about $4 at you local hardware store....

Old 08-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lucas63
Here is the procedure to put your Mini into Service Mode:

Going into Service Mode

Bumper, Bumper Carrier, and the Modular Front End all come off. Changing that fan is not a simple matter of slipping it out.

Rich

Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
You do not need to buy the bolts for $35...they are just LONG bolts...Carriage bolts I think by name...about $4 at you local hardware store....

My local store didn't have M8x100 bolts, so I got M8x90 and they worked just fine to replace the fan.

On the side, while my low speed fan now works, it appears that doesn't solve my A/C issue - looks like it's time for a new compressor...
Bentley manual says the fan should turn on when the AC is on and system pressure reaches 8 bar (116psi). Fan turns on at 221 deg per spec, but not when the AC is on. At present I'm guessing that means I'm not getting AC pressure.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
Here is the procedure to put your Mini into Service Mode:

Going into Service Mode

Bumper, Bumper Carrier, and the Modular Front End all come off. Changing that fan is not a simple matter of slipping it out.

Rich

Thanks for the link explaining the service mode.

I wasn't trying to minimize the work required to set up for the fan's removal. I know from experience how to remove the bumper cover and bumper. The fan removing part is what sounds simple.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Lucas63
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
You can buy an aftermarket fan from Rock-Auto, TYC brand is very good, for under $100.
There is a few guides around....
A girls guide to service mode is pretty good....and there are a few fan threads with pics....not super easy...a bit of a pain, but not hard. Just remember, unbolt the ac condenser, and swing it out of the way..DO NOT disconnect it!! Just support it, with a box, or bungee, and do the swap.

Rock-Auto has the TYC brand right now at $75.92, that includes shipping. I'll give it a try.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just did the radiator fan replacement a couple months ago. The "A/C condenser suspended from garage ceiling by bungee cords" method worked well. Didn't need the long carriage bolts.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:28 PM
zminitech
2nd Gear
I would check your A/C compressor, service mode is not necessary, just remove the radiator.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:19 AM
cooperSml
2nd Gear
Fixed Mini Cooper S 2006 first stage fan with no replacement

-2002 R53, pre Jan 2003.
I have a Mini Cooper S 2006 and I did fix the first stage fan without fan replacement even though the resistor inside FAN is broken.

I had problem in the clutch of the AC compressor, so I replace the compressor but I need to updated the procedure and sequence I have done but that needs service mode.

- 2006 R53, November 2005

Last edited by cooperSml; 05-21-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:59 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
thanks for the info guys. I have since changed my PS fan, but I still don't hear a stage 1 fan at all. I'm going to pick up a new fan assembly soon, but I'm also concerned with needing a new compressor. How does one go about checking if the clutch on the compressor is catching? Of if that's not the problem, how would I be able to tell if it does need to be replaced?

Thanks a million again.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:45 AM
cooperSml
2nd Gear
I have an update procedure in the AC replacement and actually my problem was on the AC clutch not on the compressor, but if the problem is on the cluctch you need to replace the compressor anyways.

Last edited by cooperSml; 05-21-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: I made a reference to a BLOG that was removed