Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Serpentine Belt issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 AM
EMD20V
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serpentine Belt issue

Hi Guys,wondering if you guys can help? My serpentine belt snapped on my R53 cooper S,I took it to a workshop and they replaced it and its snapped again after just driving 5km. I took it back and called them now and they say they fitted another belt and its snapped again after only running the motor for bout 1min. They took off all the pulleys checked them refitted them and belt still running off. They say its running towards the wheel arch on the s/c pulley. My car is stock standard with no mods,have you heard of anyone having this issue yet??

Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Are they routing the belt properly ?

Are all pulleys turning freely by hand ?

Not sure if your initial problem is associated with current problems or not.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Roxy20v
Neutral
i think you need a new mechanic.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Calz
3rd Gear
The only time I have ever heard of this are related to the aftermarket supercharger pulleys... In 10 years at Mini/BMW I have never seen a Mini belt break. If the belt was routed incorrectly and the smooth side went on the grooved side of the pulley it would damage the belt for sure.
Does the tensioner load and unload properly with the special tool ?
Is the track for the belt clear of object and wiring ?
This is an odd problem and might be something obvious. Those belts are very strong

Old 08-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Eagle-Jet Mini
1st Gear
Does the belt indeed need to be replaced if there are no signs of cracking on the ribs? Mileage is 79K. Also saw a replacement method in here called Girls guide to changing serpentine belt!" It indicates that the belt can be replaced by pulling off right front wheel, the fender enclosure, etc. Looks like it should work and really less expensive than the $1000. bucks the dealer wants to charge. Also what is a good source to buy the belt?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:23 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the belt doesn't make a huge racket (Like it is finding a huge amount of resistance) and it doesn't smoke, they may not have the proper tool or technique to get it on without damaging it. If they are just prying it on, then they may be cutting it. The newly broken belts may show hints as to what is happening.

Eagle,

There is a special tool that lets you take the tension off the belt. Without the tool, this may be a really tough project for the first time. With the tensioner tool, it is just as easy as you think with the hardest part taking the tension off. Without a second set of hands, it isn't east to get a little allen key in the hole that locks the tension. *at the top of the tensioner is a strip and a hole will be there when the tensioner is compressed that you can fit in a little wire or key to hold the tensioner back while you do the swap.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:24 PM
thecanuck
3rd Gear
Eagle, the belts are found everywhere. Ebay, Way Motor Works, PenskeParts.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Eagle-Jet Mini
1st Gear
Next latest problem. The sound has gone off on 2004 ''S" speakers, everything else is still lighted. Is it possible the amp has gone South? If so does the entire rt tail light assembly need to be removed to get out the amp?

Any ideas on where to buy an amp, MINI dealer ONLY wants about $1100. for a new amp.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Calz
3rd Gear
You defiantly need the tool to get the belt off. Cutting it does not get you anywhere because you need to take the tension off the belt tensioner spring to have any chance of getting the new belt on. You can get the belt out from under the passenger fender linner. take the splash guard off as it will come out the bottom and make it easier to install the new one.

Best chance is to find an at the auto salvage yard/wrecker. Is it a Harmon Kardon or Sound Module Amp ?? Check all fuses before you condem the amp

Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Eagle-Jet Mini
1st Gear
Checked the fuses that are next to the drivers left foot in that fuse box, everything looks good. This is a Harmon kardon set up. The thing that has me perplexed is that I hit a bump in the road and the sound went off. Makes me think something came lose or it was simply a coincidence that the amp decided to go South at that very time.

By the way I have read several other comments about taking off the serpentine belt and several guys mentioned using a 3/8 " ratchet on the tensioner it self as a good tool. They mention ther is a square hole in the tensioner where the ratchet can be placed. Have you heard of this idea?

Last edited by Eagle-Jet Mini; 08-24-2010 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Wanted to add comment about square hole in tensioner
Old 09-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Eagle-Jet Mini
1st Gear
Got a tool from Auto Zone to take tension off of tensioner so I can replace serpentine belt but really not obvious where it is to go to move the spring so I can put something in the 2nd hole of the tensioner for when I replace the belt.

Help help help By the say it is a flat steel bar with a 3/8 head on the end and the tool kit comes with a variety of mm sockets

Last edited by Eagle-Jet Mini; 09-06-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: add information
Old 09-06-2010, 01:59 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like this...

Old 09-06-2010, 02:38 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by EMD20V
Hi Guys,wondering if you guys can help? My serpentine belt snapped on my R53 cooper S,I took it to a workshop and they replaced it and its snapped again after just driving 5km. I took it back and called them now and they say they fitted another belt and its snapped again after only running the motor for bout 1min. They took off all the pulleys checked them refitted them and belt still running off. They say its running towards the wheel arch on the s/c pulley. My car is stock standard with no mods,have you heard of anyone having this issue yet??
As explained to me by Way (if I understood correctly), when a belt breaks the tensioner may hit the supercharger pulley and nick or damage it slightly. The nick may be somewhat unnoticeable, but may be sufficient to cause a new belt to break, similar to your symptoms. Your mechanic may not have inspected the supercharger pulley carefully enough.

A tensioner stop is available as cheap insurance to prevent the above problem in the future.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:30 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ofioliti
As explained to me by Way (if I understood correctly), when a belt breaks the tensioner may hit the supercharger pulley and nick or damage it slightly. The nick may be somewhat unnoticeable, but may be sufficient to cause a new belt to break, similar to your symptoms. Your mechanic may not have inspected the supercharger pulley carefully enough.

A tensioner stop is available as cheap insurance to prevent the above problem in the future.
I think you have it backwards.... If the belt fails the tensioner could break and slam into the crank pulley. You would then need to replace the tensioner and crank pulley.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:38 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Yes, wrong pulley---the crank pulley could be damaged and may be causing the new belts to fail. (Thanks for the correction.)

Old 09-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Eagle-Jet Mini
1st Gear
Hey daflake, appreciate your getting back to me. I understand about putting an allen wrench in the 2nd hole once I get the tensioner pulled back, the tool I got from Auto Zone won't work at all, I'm trying to find the point on the tensioner where I can move it back. Someone suggested to put a 16mm socket on the tensioner support bracket and use that as fulcrum point and then put a bar down on the edge of the tensioner. Since that point is more of a radius the bar just slips off, I think I'm going to have to find an actual Mini tensioner tool unless someone has another idea.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Sorry, I misunderstood you...

I have heard of folks doing it other ways but to be honest, I just bought the tool. It is much easier.