Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need help, timing issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Phucket
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help, timing issue.

This past weekend I changed the head gasket on my 03 MCS. There was a hole in between cylinders 1 and 2. Though a little complicated without a manual we were able to figure it out. Upon reassembly we realized that the mark made on the timing bed and sprocket were insufficient and not longer visible. (I know I know we really screwed up) Upon starting the engine it did start and does run but very rough. The SES light is on with code P0341 - camshaft sensor. I feel as though the timing is off by one link or so. I have made several attempts to correct the issue by moving the sprocket one link in both directions (at least I am pretty sure) but to no avail. Also I did a hard reset on the ecu. I think my problem lies in the timing. Does anyone know how to adjust the timing without the guess work of one link this way or that? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-19-2010, 03:04 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IIRC, there are two gold links that should be exactly at the bottom of the crank and the small arrow is at 12 oclock ( relative to the head)

Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Phucket
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by HRM
IIRC, there are two gold links that should be exactly at the bottom of the crank and the small arrow is at 12 oclock ( relative to the head)
Sounds a bit like guess work using this method as well. Is there an easy way to access the bottom sprocket?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have the bently handy, but when I put in a new cam, I read the crap out of it and there are two gold links. Aside from that (which means taking off the cover, and more) you can use some kind of feeler to get cyl #1 to TDC and go from there...still a bit of a hunt an peck method.

You can do a quick compression test to make sure the head or gasket is OK. If it's leaking somewhere, timing isn't the issue. Just looking to save time for you. That isn't too hard and might save you hours if it isn't the timing. (The fact you tried a click left and one right made me think of this..Once timing gets much further, it just won't run at all.)

BTW, I am not certain I am correct about #1 being TDC, but that is really common.

EDIT: I am not sure about the gold links since that isn't all that is needed. There also must be a mark on the crank gear that needs to be lined up and I can't remember or imagine WTF the links have to do with anything...If I can get to the book I will clarify.

Last edited by HRM; 08-19-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM
KC Jr 54
4th Gear
I havent already gotten the following info to "phucket" but putting this up here for general reference.

According to the Bentley; the cam sprocket has a triangle marking on it near the teeth, this triangle marking needs to lined up with the ONE copper colored link in the timing chain. The TWO golden links need to be lined up with two marks on the crank-shaft sprocket.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 PM
pan-d-man
Neutral
R56 Engine Timing

Does anyone know how to set the engine timing on an R56 Cooper S? My chain stretched and slipped. I can pin the flywheel but dont know where the cam sprockets should be when I put the new chain on.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:39 PM
CORNERS
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the crank sprocket and chain are still correctly aligned, the gold link on the chain should line up with the triangle on the cam sprocket. If you are not sure where the chain is on the crank sprocket, the gold link on the top of the chain is not going to do you any good.

But I have the front of my engine apart, and can confirm that following:
When the cam sprocket is lined up so that the two holes (for the special MINI part to go in) are equal height from the surface of the head, then the pistons should all be lined up at the exact same heights. This is actually not top dead center (TDC), it is more like middle dead center. From what I can tell, true TDC results in the cam sprocket facing the wrong direction.

Another poster on this forum reports that the timing chain has three gold links - two next to each other and one by itself. The two adjacent links line up with two triangles on the crank sprocket. The standalone link lines up with the triangle on the cam sprocket. When I lined every thing up like this, my engine is in the orientation I mention above.