Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stumble, but different??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 01:45 PM
MiniMeCoop
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a 2004 Cooper on Monday. Today I was out driving and noticed when I'm getting ready to stop at a stop sign, I'll put the clutch in and (sometimes) the car's RPM will dive down to around 700 and it will feel like it's getting ready to die. I've read the other "stumble" threads, but they seemed to be related to the Cooper S. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2003, 02:15 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>I just bought a 2004 Cooper on Monday. Today I was out driving and noticed when I'm getting ready to stop at a stop sign, I'll put the clutch in and (sometimes) the car's RPM will dive down to around 700 and it will feel like it's getting ready to die. I've read the other "stumble" threads, but they seemed to be related to the Cooper S. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
_______________________-
MC 5/02 build. No stumble. Your idle speed should be aout 900 rpm. Make sure you buy your premium gas from a good source, never from a cut rate place. I gt either Chevron (mostly) or Shell in my area. If problem persists after your next tank fill, take the car back to your dealer.

Old 12-13-2003, 02:23 PM
MiniMeCoop
2nd Gear
>>>>I just bought a 2004 Cooper on Monday. Today I was out driving and noticed when I'm getting ready to stop at a stop sign, I'll put the clutch in and (sometimes) the car's RPM will dive down to around 700 and it will feel like it's getting ready to die. I've read the other "stumble" threads, but they seemed to be related to the Cooper S. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>>_______________________-
>>MC 5/02 build. No stumble. Your idle speed should be aout 900 rpm. Make sure you buy your premium gas from a good source, never from a cut rate place. I gt either Chevron (mostly) or Shell in my area. If problem persists after your next tank fill, take the car back to your dealer.
>>

Do you think it could also be caused by cold weather? It snowed about 2" this morning.

Old 12-13-2003, 03:15 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the ecu does take a few hundred miles to fully adjust to the weather
and your driving habits in that particular weather so it may be that
it's trying to adapt to the conditions.

Old 12-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Antranik
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>MC 5/02 build. No stumble. Your idle speed should be aout 900 rpm. Make sure you buy your premium gas from a good source, never from a cut rate place. I gt either Chevron (mostly) or Shell in my area. If problem persists after your next tank fill, take the car back to your dealer.
>>

Sorry to go off topic, but I don't understand what's wrong with a "cut rate place" for gas. Usually these are the stations that are busy as well, so they might as well be getting replenished more often. If you think your car is performing irregularly solely because of the X brand, it's hard to chew. Surely gas can "go bad" but I don't think it is limited to the station. Right?

Old 12-14-2003, 08:55 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is a difference in the quality of the gas, from my experience.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
another possible tip:
Go to gas stations that have pumps for each octane, not just one and a row of buttons for "select your octane". This is because Joe Blow that filled up before you most likely used Regular, and now you'll end up getting a bit of Regular before Premium kicks in.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:51 AM
MiniMeCoop
2nd Gear
>>another possible tip:
>>Go to gas stations that have pumps for each octane, not just one and a row of buttons for "select your octane". This is because Joe Blow that filled up before you most likely used Regular, and now you'll end up getting a bit of Regular before Premium kicks in.

That's deffinatley true. I've alway's used Premium in my car's and it's always been worth the extra 10 or 20 cents.

Old 12-14-2003, 04:04 PM
sniece
1st Gear
>>>>I just bought a 2004 Cooper on Monday. Today I was out driving and noticed when I'm getting ready to stop at a stop sign, I'll put the clutch in and (sometimes) the car's RPM will dive down to around 700 and it will feel like it's getting ready to die. I've read the other "stumble" threads, but they seemed to be related to the Cooper S. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had the EXACT same problem on my '02 Cooper. It happened when I first got it, with 33.2(?), and then disappeared with v36. Interestingly, it was happening with my stock plug wires, and then when I switched to aftermarket ones, it got worse. The upgrade in software seems to have solved the problem completely, but I've only been running it for about a week and a half. I'm not sure what firmware the '04 cars are delivering with, but it's worth it to bring up with the dealer. Also, FWIW, I'm using Esso 91 Octane gas religiously.

Steve

Old 12-14-2003, 09:14 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>Sorry to go off topic, but I don't understand what's wrong with a "cut rate place" for gas. Usually these are the stations that are busy as well, so they might as well be getting replenished more often.
I am referring to independents like Rotten Robbie and the like. Yes, there IS a difference when buying from, say, a Chevron as against a Rotten Robbie, because the latter would just buy a production surplus from anybody, and heaven knows if the different grades of gas are mixed in the underground tank.

I'm not saying that bad gas is the problem of the stumble/yo-yo, but bad gas can certainly affect how a car's engine behaves.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:59 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Sorry to resurrect this impossibly old thread, but we're always being urged to "search", so this is what you get...

I recently purchased a 2003 Cooper. It, just like my previous 03 Cooper, has a stumble/almost stall issue when I first start it and back out of my parking spot. On the first Cooper I had my dealership check out the issue on multiple occasions, but every time the car was returned with a BS "Could Not Replicate" reply. The current Cooper not only runs really rough, but the Check Engine and another emergency light (must be more vigilant and actually check which light next time) light up at the same time. The stumble/near stall is distinctly different from the rough idle that I sometimes get at stop lights or while waiting for trains.

Anyone else?? Is it an actual issue or "endearing character trait" of the MINI? Something I should worry about?

Old 11-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Stef - I'll hook up my OBDII scanner this weekend and take a look. :smile:

Three cheers for Siemens EMS2000!

Old 11-22-2004, 09:13 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Stef - I'll hook up my OBDII scanner this weekend and take a look. :smile:

Three cheers for Siemens EMS2000!
Three cheers for "sea"men....hee hee....

Clover

Old 11-22-2004, 09:16 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
I love knowing a MINI genius. Thank you