Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Thank You All..Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:33 AM
abbey1
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank You All..Newbie

Wonderful to meet all of you and your beloved mini's
Pls be patient with me, as I know all mini owners are..I have a few questions
about my 2006 mini s and not sure where to post. If anyone would be kind enough to lead me in the right direction, I would so appreciate it.

1.) Check Engine Soon Light just came on.
2.) Diagnostics showed knock sensor?

Again, many thanks..
Abbey1

Old 09-05-2010, 07:37 PM
SunnySkies
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello and welcome abbey1! I'm more of a welcome wagon kinda person. So I'm not going to be of much help with your mechanical questions. However, perhaps I'll help bump this so someone with the knowledge can help answer some of your questions. In the meantime, you might want to peruse the forums and see if there might be some past threads that might answer your questions.

I would say, to answer your first question, if your 'check engine' light is on I truly would take it down to my local MINI dealer (or a mechanic who's familiar with MINIs) and see if they can tell you why (I'm not mechanically familiar with my MINI yet, but I'm learning) it's on. It might be nothing, but it's always wise to have a professional to look at it.

Welcome and congrats on your MINI nonetheless!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:47 PM
HWY129
2nd Gear
Abbey - I'm not sure where you live, but I trust all of my mechanical related questions to Way at Way Motor Works - http://www.waymotorworks.com. Even if he is not in your area to look at the car, he may be able to give you some advice. He is also the best at performance mods once you are ready to start having some extra fun with your car.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Welcome to the forum, the check engine light needs to be looked at by a service tech.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome.. go to dealership

Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 AM
~EVILMINI~
1st Gear
welcome. Yeah what ngweibing said ^^

Old 09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
jtbrown
3rd Gear
Getting a Check Engine Light could be a whole myriad of things. Ideally, you would need to give folks here the code that was thrown... for that you need a tool that connects to the on board diagnostic, though since you mentioned the diagnostic, you've had this done already?

I'm still learning MINIish, but a knock sensor is generally related to pre-ignition issues... are you using a high enough octane fuel?

All in all, your best bet, as cited above, is to get your MINI to a qualified MINI mechanic who can read the codes and get a better picture of what ails your MINI.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
abbey1
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi! ALL! Took AB-E-RD to dealership this p.m. Did diag's and read knock sensor..they re-set it as couldn't find anything, said ran fine..also checked gas cap and assured them used 93. If comes on again, will return her at their suggestion.

Thank YOU ALL for your wonderful help..will keep you posted..love the mini "family"..you guys are the BEST!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome! hopefully the electronic gremlins don't return and you can get back to motoring!