Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coolant leak...again

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:39 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leak...again

I have an '05 MCc w/98k...So the other day as I pulled out the driveway I noticed a fluid trail. So I got out and checked the garage floor and sure enough there was a little puddle of coolant. I popped the hood and the reservoir was empty. The leak must be new because just about 2 months ago I had my car in the shop and the reservoir was full and I can't be sure of the last time I checked it but it was for sure full then. So this would be my 3rd coolant leak. I actually had the last leak fixed last fall. I had the thermo replaced and maybe something else, I wanna say it was about a $300 repair and I think that was also the problem many years ago while I was still in warranty. I'm gonna go by the shop Monday to have them check it out...if this is an expensive fix I might just pass...I'm saving to buy a new mini next fall and I'm just not sure if it is gonna be worth it to put anymore money into maintaining Baxter. I guess my question is is it common for the thermostat coolant leak to happen 2 maybe 3 times?

BTW...I did refill the reservoir on either Monday or Sunday and when I checked it tonight it had gone down about a half an inch or less.

Last edited by SunnySideUp; 09-17-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
oldstonebuddha
Neutral
I just had my thermostat replaced again as well. 1st time was under warranty, second time was out, but within the dealer's 1yr parts warranty.

Also found out my water pump is leaking as well, and was quoted $900 for the work. Not. I'll order the part ($140) and my brother and I can do the install.

I love my MCS, but the repairs are becoming a worry...

Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM
skred
Neutral
Water Pump fail

Just had ours in today. $700 to replace the pump. This is an '08 6spd non-S with 80k on it.

Being that it needs to go on a 14 hr road trip tomorrow, I don't have the time to wait on a part and do it myself.

Starting to become concerned with some of the repairs we've done on this thing. One was covered under warranty (barely), a gas sensor where they kept the car for a few days to tear it apart and fix it and the part had to be shipped in.

Car is mostly highway miles...I'm not understanding the parts breaking down so easily.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts
Had my thermostat and thermostat housing replaced almost 1 1/2 years ago,
and found my resevoir empty and some coolant pooling on the transmission housing,
so I figured it was leaking again, but further investigation shows no further
leaking since then (refilled the resevoir and added a few more ounces via
the pressure overflow cap). A little more looking around reveals the low fan speed is
out (the resistor in the fan assembly is prone to failure) and the loss of coolant
was just after I had to idle for 10 - 15 minutes a few weeks ago, so I guess it just
boiled over and out about half a quart then.

I have the part, just need the time to do it now.

Last edited by cristo; 10-21-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
oldstonebuddha
Neutral
MINI reliability concerns

Here is an update on repairs to my '06 MCS:

Tore into the motor to replace the leaking water pump. Leak was pretty bad; it would have completely failed soon. While we were in there, found on oil leak in a sensor (crankshaft position I think) which was apparently blowing oil into the intake / SC.

So in the first 50k:
1) Cracked exhaust manifold – replaced (warranty)
2) Leaking thermostat – replaced (warranty)
3) Post-cat O2 "lean mixture" code – This issue still crops up periodically, even though no leaks have been found…very irritating. (warranty)
4) 2 running lights and a brake light out - replaced
5) Brake pads - replaced
6) Set of all-season and snow tires – (expensive)
7) Thermostat leak - replaced (again) (shop warranty)
8) Water pump leak - replaced
9) Oil leak in crankshaft position sensor o-ring - replaced
10) Cabin air filter - replaced
11) Oil change x2 (one warranty)
12) Supercharger cleaned / oiled
13) Cracked windscreen – still cracked

Whew...I think that is everything. Obviously, not all of these items are design flaws, but in total I have put several thousand dollars into my MCS. If you included the warranty work, then add a several more thousands.

As I said before, I absolutely love driving my MCS, it is the best driving experience I have ever had; the car is quick, agile, and solid as a rock in any driving conditions, etc. With that said, I have SERIOUS concerns with all the repairs. A car with only 50k (and all PM performed diligently) just should not have this kind of repair history. I drive mildly spirited, but take good care of my car, and most of the miles are highway.

What the heck is going on? Do I just have a lemon, or is this experience typical? Has MINI addressed any of these issues? They should, as my faith in the car is quickly dwindling along with my bank-account. I have recommended MINIs to friends and strangers in the past, but when asked how I like my car, now I typically say “Love the car, hate the repairs”.

I would like to hear what other owners think, and would love to hear from MINI on this one.

Peace,
Scott