Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

'03 Cooper Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:36 PM
binx
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Cooper Transmission Failure

I'd read about it happening to other 1st generation MINIs but just put it out of my mind. Until the other day when shifting into 3rd gear, the transmission in my '03 Cooper ground to a sickening metallic halt. I've only got 52K miles and the clutch was replaced under warranty right before it ran out. I thought I'd drive it 100K miles but no such luck.

Anyway, despite the evil deteriorating transmission, I still want another MINI. I know. I'm a sucker, but I've just LOVED this car.

Has anyone out there with such a debilitating failure -one that to fix would probably exceed the value of the car- had the dealer cut them any kind of slack on the amount given on the trade in of the dead car if they were buying a new MINI?

Any hints or comments welcome.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:09 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Manual transmissions are not huge money like the CVT. It isn't close to free, but you can toss in a used one and still hit 100K with no issues except a butt hurt wallet. Go for an 06 upgrade and burn some gas.

Maybe get creative, buy this one, then use your case to make a new one. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t/13555/cat/22

Don't give up on it yet.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:43 PM
binx
2nd Gear
Thanks, HRM. I don't have the experience to know what any of these things cost and of course any repair place says they won't know until they look at it.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 09-19-2010, 06:20 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
If you are ever inclined to swap out the Midlands for a Getrag 6 speed, here is a link that may be of interest. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:17 AM
binx
2nd Gear
Tomorrow Pez-the-MINI goes to the transmission shop to see exactly what the damage is. Thanks for the input to look into replacing the tranny, that all was not necessarily lost. I was thinking it was cost prohibitive but it's looking to be a lot cheaper than I thought (cheap being a relative term).

Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM
MINI-Lennon
1st Gear
I bought a MINI with CVT. Immediately started reading the horror stories about trans problems and breakdowns..... (mostly on MINI forums) people griping about them WARNING you to stay away from them and the "midlands" manual was supposedly NEARLY as bad... a close second according to most "enthusiasts" and should, if possible, be avoided as well.

Then I started to look at it statistically and rationally.
A few points to think about for me are,
1. between 2002 and 2006 over a MILLION BMW MINIs were produced.
How many of them were "cursed" with either the dreaded CVT or the "problematic" Midlands manual? MOST.
2. ALL cars suffer problems after 50k. TRANSIMISSION being among the top of the list for almost any make and model.
3. I found out that there were MANY transmission failures (auto and manual alike) that were repairable for much less than the 5-8 thousand dollar number being thrown around so much.

It really comes down to a (sadly) good number of stories of people who drove their MINIs just out of Warranty, then got slapped with a big bill to fix or replace something. Since these are foreign specialty cars, they usually cost more to fix. TWO of my beloved Fords both needed NEW transmissions after I bought them. The price was closer to 1,500 - 2,000 but still sucked.
My point is, you RARELY seem to hear about the MINIs who lasted 100k or more with no issues, or those who had issues but were still under warranty so it didn't really bother them too much. OR the fix was much less than the horror stories would have you believe.

BMW NEVER issued a recall related to either transmission (that I have found please correct me if I'm wrong). Surely enough problems may have arisen for them to discontinue both trannys but it took 7 YEARS! 7 years of stellar sales by the way.

Like with ANY automobile you're going to have some problems. It's generally inevitable. Best rule of thumb it seems with these cars is to extend your factory warranty or buy one with your car if you buy it used. That's what I did.

Anyways I wish you the best of luck with your transmission! Here's to having you motoring again ASAP!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by binx
Tomorrow Pez-the-MINI goes to the transmission shop to see exactly what the damage is. Thanks for the input to look into replacing the tranny, that all was not necessarily lost. I was thinking it was cost prohibitive but it's looking to be a lot cheaper than I thought (cheap being a relative term).
Out of curiosity which shop are you using?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 AM
binx
2nd Gear
I'm using Lee Myles transmission in West Roxbury, MA. They picked her up this morning and I OK'd the $450 to remove the transmission and get to the point where they can tell what all it will take to fix her. I'm expecting it to cost something between $2800 - $3200 which is a butt-load of money but so much less than a new car. (Plus the fact that I simply love this car and would prefer to keep driving it)

I have to confess to falling prey to the tale of the "transmission curse" MINI-Lennon refers to above. I knew the Midlands transmissions were less sturdy than the ones in the newer MINIs and thought the fix would be prohibitively expensive -- on the order of $6800 which the CVT would cost. But spurred on by HRM to look into replacing the manual transmission I'm cautiously optimistic.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:18 AM
binx
2nd Gear
Excellent resolution as far as I'm concerned...

Hey folks, thought I'd give anyone reading along the latest update. I haven't picked up the car yet, should be done Tuesday or so.

So Dave at Lee Myles said when they took the transmission out it turns out there was a big hole blown in the outside (I'm not well-versed on the geography of a transmission so bear with me) near the input. As he described it , "there was a huge hole in the transmission with parts falling out of it." The problem with that is that the core can't be rebuilt so I eat the $200 core charge.

I won't malign specific local MINI dealerships but I will say they ended up getting the part and having a good experience dealing with the place I purchased the car from originally and had a less-than-satisfactory experience dealing with the dealership I historically dislike. Those MINI owners from the Northeast will be able to fill in the blanks I'm sure!

Anyway, the whole deal is going to cost me $3600 which is a lot but less than the 5 or 6K I feared. AND I get to keep driving my faithful Pez for awhile longer.

Thanks to all who commented for the level-headed advise to price out replacing the transmission. I came here thinking my car was totaled and cooler more experienced heads prevailed and I am in a better situation and out less money because of it. Yay you.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:51 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad it worked out even though you had close to a -worst case- senerio for a manual trans. Though it is a crap load of money, it still is less than a new car and I hope all your repair woes are behind you.