Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Next 70,000 Miles: Help me figure it out...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:17 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Next 70,000 Miles: Help me figure it out...

OK, my 2006 MC, Titan, has around 70,000 miles. If I keep him, he's gonna need some TLC. Here are his issues:

1) Airbag light is on. Dealer says passenger sensor = $1300.

2) Leatherette is just starting to separate on the driver's side left seat bolster.

3) AC works great when set to 60 or low but blows warm air above those settings. Common problem, but bothersome.

4) Passenger side vanity mirror has been used about 5 times over the the last 3.5 years. Guess that's too heavy of use for a Mini because the flip-up section has broken off. (s i g h )

Engine / transmission / clutch / suspension are all good. Best of all, the Titan drives and handle just like he did the day I drove it off the lot. Second best of all, there isn't one door ding on the entire car!

I would really like the airbag light fixed (but not for $1300) and the seat is gonna start to **** me off if it starts to looking ratty.

What would you guys do?

Thanks to all.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 PM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
For the seat separation I would recommend buying a high quality seat cover, such as the ones made by Hawaiian Seat Covers or Wet Okole.

For the passenger seat airbag light, look for a replacement seat on NAM and those other sites where such stuff is sold. Same for the vanity mirror, although one of the Mini salvage yards would also be a good source.

Can't help on the AC issue.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Thanks. I was thinking a tad more ambitiously. Maybe now's the time to upgrade the seats to some used Mini sport seats (which may have a working air bag sensor)? Or, maybe aftermarket? I am guessing the air bag light would be on forever with aftermarket seats, however.

The Mini's a funny car. I really like it, but I also have this feeling that now could be the time to say bye-bye. As I have said before, I just wish that BMW had really finished the car. They got so much right, but so much not so right.

Anyway, your ideas are a big help in my decision making process.

Cheers.

Paul

Old 09-23-2010, 06:13 PM
steve20607
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToroPerro
OK, my 2006 MC, Titan, has around 70,000 miles. If I keep him, he's gonna need some TLC. Here are his issues:

2) Leatherette is just starting to separate on the driver's side left seat bolster.

3) AC works great when set to 60 or low but blows warm air above those settings. Common problem, but bothersome.

4) Passenger side vanity mirror has been used about 5 times over the the last 3.5 years. Guess that's too heavy of use for a Mini because the flip-up section has broken off. (s i g h )

Engine / transmission / clutch / suspension are all good. Best of all, the Titan drives and handle just like he did the day I drove it off the lot. Second best of all, there isn't one door ding on the entire car!

I would really like the airbag light fixed (but not for $1300) and the seat is gonna start to **** me off if it starts to looking ratty.

What would you guys do?

Thanks to all.
(1). Get another opinion from an indie shop, but don't tell them what the stealership came up with.

(2). Do you have an junkyard nearby and see what they have if someone crashed their mini but interiors were okay....also try to look thru Craigslist. Another option is to check out a few upholstery shops.

(3). Maybe you just need to add some refrigant in the system.

(4). Check out Craigslist again or Ebay for a replacement.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:21 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Yeah, I have a trusted local BMW shop I can take it to for the airbag light. I'm just not thinking he's gonna come up with a very happy number either.

The AC issue is not freon related. The system blows ice cold when it's set low and then throttles to warm when set at, say, 66 or above. My guess is that it's a grounding issue related to the temperature switch. It's not a huge issue, but I don't want it to become one either.

Originally Posted by steve20607
(1). Get another opinion from an indie shop, but don't tell them what the stealership came up with.

(2). Do you have an junkyard nearby and see what they have if someone crashed their mini but interiors were okay....also try to look thru Craigslist. Another option is to check out a few upholstery shops.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:08 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
If it was my Mini:

I would take the seats out, and drop them off at the Upholstery shop and have them make new seat covers or install OEM seat covers.

Contact the parts recycler to find that seat sensor and broken mirror then install them yourself.

Add some refrigant in the system and that should help the A/C system work better.

Don't get rid of the Mini as it sounds like it is in great shape except for a few minor items to repair !

Its easy to walk away but rewarding once you fix it and make it all better again !

Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by steve20607

+1 on all of the above.
Sounds like you have ideas WRT (3). My AC died a few years ago - living on the coast, I've done without, though I'm ready to install a new compressor.

Almost always cheaper to fix issues than to get a different vehicle.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM
justincummings
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToroPerro

What would you guys do?

Thanks to all.
Have you ever unplugged the connection underneath the seat or reseated it? That will kick on the airbag light too. Go to Autozone and they can see what the error code is or even have it cleared.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Before my Mini, I had a check engine light that would not go off not matter what was done. It bugged me alot ! ! !

So, out came the bulb, and then it did not bother me any longer !

Put the $1300 in the bank !

Take both front seats out yourself, drive them to the Upholstery shop and tell them to sew it back together or replace the worn pieces so they both look the same on both seats. . . . . . . . .

most fabrics are matchable, even leather or vinyl.

I hope this helps; so keep the car !

Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
24,000 miles later...

I cannot believe it's been 24,000 miles since I made this post (also, just a little more than a year and a half).

My 06 Cooper is still fat & happy at 94,000 miles. I am very, very hesitant to sell it. There's not enough good news about the 2gen cars and I don't want to spend 30K on a BMW 128. Ha!

My Cooper runs, handles and shifts exactly as it does the day I drove it off the lot. I have 3,000 miles until inspection. I'm gonna un-do the damage caused by the horrible Hawk pads that Mini Corsa installed.

Whatever money I may have saved was wasted. The factory pads and rotors are just SO much better...

Even if it blew up today in a huge fireball I would still say my Mini has been a fantastic car (just hope I'm not in it if it does!).