Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:00 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Use common hose clamp for the manifold hose from reservoir to the pump when doing the replacement. I think it takes a 1" hose clamp.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fprintf
I ended up cutting a slot for the bolt. The pump wouldn't come out, now way no how. My problem was that I couldn't reach to cut the wireties on the wiring and for some reason they wouldn't release when pushing the little one way buttons back up. That and it is freakin' impossible to release the low pressure hose. I think I am going to dremel off the clamp before I cut myself with the flathead screwdriver one more time.

Once I cut the slot, the pump came right out and gave me access to snip the wire ties. Now I still need to release the low pressure hose. I still must be missing something about that, it just doesn't make sense. The dremel is sounding better each minute I think about it - and just replace it with a regular screw type hose clamp when I put it back together.
Wait..you can't get a very small flat head into the clamp where it's pinched together? Stick it in there and twist a little..back and forth and it will release. It's crimped. I did the clamp with the pump in place..not sure how you have the pump out with it still connected, mine is not long enough..I released the reservoir from the firewall to get more room. You could just remove the hose from the bottom of the reservoir and either replace or just feed it back through again. That hose goes right up the back of the engine just to he reservoir. You definitely have to replace the clamp it's single use only...so screw type is the right kind.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Really MINI -- you can't follow suit?

This is not cool

http://news.yahoo.com/toyota-recalls...--finance.html

Old 11-16-2012, 12:32 PM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It would be a miracle if Mini/BMW ever decided to issue a recall for the PS units.

Recall expense for Toyota is just a drop in the bucket-they are more concerned about customer safety after all the negative publicity from the sticky gas pedal problem.

155,000 Toyota's sold in in the US Vs. 5,800 Mini's for October

Old 11-16-2012, 03:31 PM
DaveeHogan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 04 mini s has the same problem, stays on after the car is off and the steering cuts out randomly. had to play 150 to diagnose something i already knew was wrong. 1400 just for parts without labor included, mini needs to recall this problem.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveeHogan
my 04 mini s has the same problem, stays on after the car is off and the steering cuts out randomly. had to play 150 to diagnose something i already knew was wrong. 1400 just for parts without labor included, mini needs to recall this problem.
I would be very curious to see this parts list..like most I fixed it myself only replacing the pump and fluid...fan was fine but will get replaced in spring

Pump $600
Fan $150
Fluid $20
Hoses??

Thanks

Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
NEW OEM pump. $$595.00...(a rebuilt exchange unit can be had for $200, but does not always work as the electronics are just cleaned, and not replaced).
NEW OEM FAN..$185.00
the correct PS fluid!! $25.00
leaky hose? $57 and $65.00
PS tank...$12.00.
Still trying to get to $1400...and that is everything but the rack....think you need a different shop!!
Most of this stuff NEVER goes bad...and a pump can be changed in a driveway on a set of jack stands in a couple hours....sounds like your beef is with the shop that overcharged you!!
And all those prices are one stop from Waymotorworks.com.
Sounds like you had other stuff done to your car.....sucks it broke, but it is a 2004..things age....but if YOU decide to go to an OVERPRICED shop, and then complain about pricing......
The rack CAN leak...but i it is NOT part of the recall...and using the wrong fluid can damage the seals, causing a leak!! So ALWAYS USE the correct PETROSIN PS fluid.....MINI, VW, and most NAPA stores sell it in my area.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 11-17-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
[QUOTE
Sounds like you had other stuff done to your car.....sucks it broke, but it is a 2004..things age....but if YOU decide to go to an OVERPRICED shop, and then complain about pricing......
The rack CAN leak...but i it is NOT part of the recall...and using the wrong fluid can damage the seals, causing a leak!! So ALWAYS USE the correct PETROSIN PS fluid.....MINI, VW, and most NAPA stores sell it in my area.[/QUOTE]

Point I was getting at Zippy..$1400 for parts alone represents a solid markup on even what the dealer charges..so someone got worked over.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
Point I was getting at Zippy..$1400 for parts alone represents a solid markup on even what the dealer charges..so someone got worked over.
YUP... I agree 100%
OP made this post and 3 other identical posts...no answers.
I would LOVE to know the name of the shop that got the $$ for a PS pump change.....sounds like they should go to jail...highway robbery!!

Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Nlped39
Neutral
I just put an "ARC" remanufactured p/s pump in my wifes 2003 MC/S and it's working...How long is anybodies guess though...?!?!?!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
People have not had a lot of success with remanufactured units but..maybe you'll get lucky. I went new because I don't have the time or space to do it over and over. If I had a garage space to work in etc etc...then might have risked it BUT getting it in and out is a bit of a pain.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 PM
nurseluu
Neutral
I have the same power steering failure with my 2004 MINI Cooper S.
Mileage: 124K. I took it to MINI of Santa Clara in California to get it fix. I told them, it's the pump. Well, after they diagnosed themselves, they say it's the PS pump. They quoted me around $1100. I told them to replace the pump.
Because I found out about the common problem with the PS other owners have, when I picked up my car, I spoke to the service manager, Randy. He checked with MINI of USA to have they pay partial or the whole bill. Two days later.
They paid the whole bill!!!!!!
Sooooo happy.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Well, I am here to join the club. 03 MCS with 83k miles. Came home and turned off the car tonight and heard something running. Quickly pulled out the ramps to check the PS pump as I have been around here long enough to have heard the reports. Sure enough, removed the fan to make sure that was not it making the noise. PSP running hard with car off. Removed negative terminal and read this thread.....
To do list:
File report at nhtsa
call dealers in morning
price part at waymotorworks

Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 PM
IDOXLR8
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by planeguy
Well, I am here to join the club. 03 MCS with 83k miles. Came home and turned off the car tonight and heard something running. Quickly pulled out the ramps to check the PS pump as I have been around here long enough to have heard the reports. Sure enough, removed the fan to make sure that was not it making the noise. PSP running hard with car off. Removed negative terminal and read this thread.....
To do list:
File report at nhtsa
call dealers in morning
price part at waymotorworks
I made a post a wile back on this, not a bad job to r&r the pump and fan, AL.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 PM
forum009
Neutral
When should the PS fan comes on for a 12/02 build R50

My 2003 R50 was built on 12/02, I have the older style radiator fan with 2 connectors.

I was told my PS fan is out, but before getting a new fan, I would like to better understand how it operates, and when it operates.

After reading 40+ pages of posting on the radiator fan and PS fan, there seems to be three schools of thought of there for my car:
* PS Fan is controlled by the DME, it will come on when the DME deem it is necessary.
* PS Fan comes on whenever radiator fan is on (low or high).
* For 2002 and 2003 with an earlier than 03/03 build date, the PS fan only comes on when high speed fan is on.

Can someone confirm which version is the truth? Again, this is specific to a pre March build of the 2003 R50.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
This I can confirm:
"For 2002 and 2003 with an earlier than 03/03 build date, the PS fan only comes on when high speed fan is on."
Dealer can rewire for it to come on together w/ the low speed rad fan like on post 03/03 models.
Mine is an 02, wired a relayed manual switch for it to turn on & off. This way, I need no computer to ask it to come on. :-)

Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
forum009
Neutral
Wow, thanks for the confirmation. After reading all the issues some people are having, I am amazed that the original pump is still working after 93,000 miles. As the high speed fan does not come on very often in my Cooper, the PS pump must have had a hard life.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:57 PM
lilriki509
Neutral
This is awesome! http://www.billswebspace.com/MiniR53PSPFanDuctDIY.htm
Thanks for the help. I also bought the fan from A1electric.com and got it in a day $60

Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 PM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My P/S pump was intermittently going off on start up and if I shut it down and restarted it it was fine. Then one day it was no go, I have been driving it for about 4 months without the pump working, the fan had blown its fuse I found and let the pump overheat. I swapped the fan fuse and heard it kick on but the pump never did again, its a bear in tight spots but down the road its fine as wine. Might swap it and the fan out this spring but it doesnt seem necessary.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 AM
cooperdude
2nd Gear
During my morning commute, you could hear the fan spin up and down and at full spin speed the power steering worked. After my drive home, the PS pump let the magic smoke out. The car has just over 189,000 on the clock. I'm the original owner. Looking at my options for replacement now.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:25 PM
AstroZombie
2nd Gear
My first PS pump failed in May of 2012. I didn't have an issue with the steering but my battery kept dying. I had the PS pump replaced under warranty. Now the same thing is happening; the battery keeps dying. I found the receipt from the repair and a refurbished pump was installed and no mention of the fan being replaced. I'll be calling the shop tomorrow morning to schedule a fix (the warranty is still in date). I'm driving an '06 S with 49K miles on it.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
sickdog
Neutral
I,ve had my 02' MCS for bout 6 months and absolutely love it. Yesterday pulling out of the driveway the power steering went out. My first guess is it's the pump of corse, HOWEVER I put it on ramps today trying to figure why it blew fluid towards the right front wheel and onto the rim... could it just be the high pressure line and not the pump? Can't find the exact leak but fluid and ps went really quickly. Just had powerflex bushings put on control arms, PS rack and on front sway.... Any help would be much appreciated!!

Alan

Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Did you drop the subframe the right way when installing the bushings or did you just hang it down putting pressure on the PShoses etc? If you lost all your fluid I would go with hoses...when the pump itself goes your ps reservoir is usually still full.

Fill it only with the Pentonsin CHF 11s however it it's the line you are going to lose $22 all over the floor pretty fast. Neither of those lines could really blow off btw. High pressure line is bolted in. Low pressure line has a single use clamp and is a very tight fit anyhow.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM
MiniFixx
1st Gear
I am on my 3rd pump, I just replaced it yesterday, although its not hard to do, I am thinking on wiring the fan to the low speed fan or even just to accessory just so I get maximum use of it, idk when it ACTUALLY goes on, but Id like to see it be on almost all the time when the car is running I think. I dont want that pump going again

Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 PM
edgy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P/S went out while I was driving through town - 30 mph. Steering felt heavy. Pulled into Rib City and had lunch - nothing like a great lunch of ribs to chew on when you're thinking about $1000+ repairs. Got back in car, turned key - P/S back on! Then today, went out at 65 mph on a curve. Definitely got my attention. Since I've got an '02 with 78K on it, I guess I have to be ready for a few repairs. Love the car - replaced the P/S fan last summer. It is definitely giving me pause as I contemplate buying another MINI - especially living so far (275 miles) away from a dealership.

I may have to put my Bentley's book to use!

Quick Reply: Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!