Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
kedwards
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Letters from MINI arrived today, one for my wife's 2004 and one for my 2003. Her power steering was replaced years ago while under waranty. I recently replaced my ps fan, so I should be reimbursed.

Thank you MINI!

Why not post a link Bram?

Keith

Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM
atraain
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the cutoff for PS pump warranty?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by atraain
Whats the cutoff for PS pump warranty?
Read the letter I posted.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:44 PM
LNz04
2nd Gear
I called MINI almost 2 weeks ago just to see if mine was included because it completely stopped working and it wasn't the fan. he said no, now I see why, I have 176k. Had I known at 150 this was in effect I would have brought it in for the whine I was getting since about 75k. Thanks for sending out info MINI of America. Looks like I go back to VW next car, which will be soon because it's one thing after another with this car. Too bad, it was fun to drive.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM
fprintf
2nd Gear
I am so psyched to read this update! I also wanted to make folks aware of some really fantastic customer service from Way Motorsports in Atlanta.

I received an email this evening from Way with a copy of the letter and my invoice with a note saying that my power steering pump I purchased from him may be reimbursable. After reading the letter, my vehicle is definitely within the recall models.

Psyched! $600 fan and $127 fan back, money I definitely did not expect... will go to some new tires and maybe a drivers side window motor. Or maybe set aside for the inevitable other repairs the car will need.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
vargasgal
5th Gear
I need to double check, but I think mine is a few weeks past the production cutoff. No reimbursement for me I guess. Crap.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM
smdcooper
Neutral
Just received my "Warranty coverage extention/repair expense reimbursement" letter in the mail today from Mini. They extended the power steering pump and fan warranty for 13 years or 150,000 miles for 2002-2005 Cooper/Cooper S. WOOOHOOO!!!!! They will repair or reimburse. Call Mini Customer Relations and Services (1-866-275-6464) The funny part is i bought and just received my reman pump from BBA yesterday and i received the letter today.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 PM
atraain
2nd Gear
speaking of the devil i just got my extended warranty letter in the mail and i called my dealer and they are replacing my PS pump and maybe the fan as well all free of charge....and i get a free car while my MINI is being serviced MINI My bank account is too thankful for this!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Just made my appointment at MINI.
Had another thread regarding this and service manager said the letter just came out yesterday.
I'm glad everyone will be getting reimbursed!
(What was that upgrade you wanted to do? )
Thank you Braminator!!!!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ti22fjc
Just made my appointment at MINI.
Had another thread regarding this and service manager said the letter just came out yesterday.
I'm glad everyone will be getting reimbursed!
(What was that upgrade you wanted to do? )
Thank you Braminator!!!!
Lets us know how it works out for you. You are welcome.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:16 PM
panaphobic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Looks like MINI is finally going to help us in the US and will offer reimbursement for you if you paid for it yourself
I saw this and was like "FINALLY!!!!!"

Then I saw the mileage. I just rolled over 150k

Then I saw the production years. And that just pissed me off some more. Mine was built in July of 2005. I've already replaced the power steering system once. And it's been leaking now for at least the past 2 years. I have a remanufactured one for when it completely fails again. This is some garbage! I filed a complaint for it before to have a recall on it, and I don't understand why it's not included as well!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:33 PM
MiniFixx
1st Gear
I cant believe it, I just got my letter today too from Mini!, they are going to reimburse me for the power steering pump and fan,,,, incredible! good thing I replaced it myself cause thats not covered unless you got it done at a mini dealership..... they should be paying INTEREST!

i guess all those complaints to the NTSB paid off!

Not that im not grateful, because I am, but you shouldnt have to complain to the NTSB to get action on a lemon of a design

Attached Thumbnails Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!-p5240322.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:44 AM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AHHHHHHH!!! So incredibly stoked that I got this letter! Especially because I'm at 147k haha, going to schedule an appointment on Tuesday! I've had no power steering for almost 2 years now, replaced the pump once but I bought a used one from someone on here and it ended up going out 2 weeks later so I doubt I'll get reimbursed for it. That's fine with me as long as I can get power steering again!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:59 AM
drink8648
2nd Gear
  • Don't get your hopes up yet. I just called Mini USA to get the particulars on how to file for this reimbursement and was told that my 2005 does not qualify. Two weeks ago I spent almost $1400.00 to get my PS system replace because of failure. I don't think they're playing very fair on this one. I hope others don't get the shaft. Shame on you you Mini USA.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
I called this morning, appointment set for tomorrow, I have to pay the diagnose fee, once they conclude the power steering pump is the problem I get that fee refunded and they will replace the pump, hopefully they don't come up with some other "causes that relate to the power steering" but they did say I qualify for the extended coverage. Btw, mine is an 03'

Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Terry Gallentine
1st Gear
Changes in design for power steering pump?

I had to have my power steering pump replaced last year and will be contacting my local dealer about reimbursement because of the new extended warrantee. The question that I have is whether there is a fix for this chronic problem? The first pump that I had to replace lasted 125,000 miles but the replacement pump only lasted 11 months. I will be replacing the fluid reservoir this time on the possibility that the filter that is built into it is plugged up. Are there new pump and fan designs on the horizon?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Wookie
4th Gear
Wow, talk about timing. Just got my letter last week, and was compiling the receipts I had for all the fans I've replaced (annually), when all of a sudden today - Total PS loss!

Well drove right to dealer and confirmed that I'll be covered by the warranty

Only downside, is the replacement component (the upgraded part) is on a 1 month backorder. Oh-well, at least it's summer and I can take the Triumph while I wait.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM
panaphobic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Terry Gallentine
I had to have my power steering pump replaced last year and will be contacting my local dealer about reimbursement because of the new extended warrantee. The question that I have is whether there is a fix for this chronic problem? The first pump that I had to replace lasted 125,000 miles but the replacement pump only lasted 11 months. I will be replacing the fluid reservoir this time on the possibility that the filter that is built into it is plugged up. Are there new pump and fan designs on the horizon?
"Supposedly" they redesigned them mid-production in 2005. I have the post-redesigned system. I shelled out over $1500 around 90k miles to have the dead pump replaced along with the resistor, lines, and p/s fan. The system has been leaking now for at least 2 years. I have another remanufactured pump ready for when it fails again. I'm am writing to the NHTSA again to inform them that they still need to investigate the claims against MINI. They have no record of this recall being issued by MINI either.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by panaphobic
. I'm am writing to the NHTSA again to inform them that they still need to investigate the claims against MINI. They have no record of this recall being issued by MINI either.
Of course they have no record of this recall, because it is not a recall, it is an extended warranty on the parts.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:24 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Yep haha, I've been confirmed, my parts are 10 days out they said, we will see but they can't give my car back until it's fixed because it's a liability so I'm getting a loaner for a bit

Old 06-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Terry Gallentine
1st Gear
parts associated with pump failure

Does anybody know if Mini will reimburse costs of parts that failed directly as a result of the power steering pump failure?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Gerldoc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2005 Cooper S Convertible with a build date of November 2004. My pump has not failed (yet), but I'm not crazy about having it fail whilst driving along (I commute 2 hours a day!)

I'm cheating here, because I have not read every single post, so can anyone update me:

Has anyone in the Bay Area had any experience with East Bay Mini regarding this issue? Is anyone having success having them replaced before they fail (at Mini's expense, of course!)

Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 AM
atraain
2nd Gear
I scheduled my appointment for a new PS pump at mini of Marin about 3 weeks ago for today (6/10/13) and i got a call from them today in the am saying "we might not have the parts for ur service, give us a call to reschedule." So i called them and their excuse was that every mini dealership in the us is experiencing a high volume of this extended warranty service. #patientlywaiting

Old 06-11-2013, 03:15 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Yep, Mini has had my car for 2 weeks promising they would have parts within 10 days. Now that we are over that time period, I went and picked up my car because they didn't want to give me a loaner. Kinda disappointed, not only did I get my car back filthy, they said it could be weeks to months and to call back in two weeks. I am at 147k so I gotta make sure not to drive too much haha. Looks like everyone is ordering the pump and Mini can't supply.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:39 PM
goblyn
Neutral
Originally Posted by GumbyLara
I am at 147k so I gotta make sure not to drive too much haha. Looks like everyone is ordering the pump and Mini can't supply.
I am in a similar boat. The dealership said that the repair would be invoiced with the mileage I came in with when they diagnosed the PS problem. Therefore, even if I am over 150k by the time they get the parts, I would still be covered at 100%. Your dealership should be treating it the same way since the PS failed within their designated window.

Leave it to MINI to extend a warranty on one of their most notorious problem systems and not have even made the new harness yet.

Quick Reply: Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!