Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Hogan3
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
You are not correct - those letters are in fact being sent out. I have or had one in my possession. I am the second owner of the vehicle -- I happen to have registered on the MINI owner's lounge, but I would imagine that they lifted the address and information from NYS registration.

I took my letter to my dealer with a copy of my receipt from when I purchased the pump and installed it -- the dealer submitted the claim and the receipt on my behalf and the check came 3 weeks later.

I never said it was a recall I said that in general with recalls and communication to vehicle owners they go by the current registered owner.
Interesting, I am the original owner of a 2003 and had the repair done (and paid for it) years ago at an authorized dealer, but never received the letter you did. One of my neighbors and one of my coworkers currently own 2003's that they bought used several years ago, and both of them had the pump replaced at their dealer (different dealers), and neither have seen the letter either.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hogan3
Interesting, I am the original owner of a 2003 and had the repair done (and paid for it) years ago at an authorized dealer, but never received the letter you did. One of my neighbors and one of my coworkers currently own 2003's that they bought used several years ago, and both of them had the pump replaced at their dealer (different dealers), and neither have seen the letter either.
No problem -- I just wanted to make sure the right information was put out there; there are a few other people who have posted images of their letters so I know I wasn't the only lucky one. Your sig says Jersey..not saying that their DMV is not on point -- its fairly sophisticated but thats where current owner information would be contained.

I am sure your car is registered so maybe it was because I am on the mini owners lounge but I would be shocked if MINI was that coordinated that their marketing department and their operations/liability department spoke to each other.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:56 AM
fprintf
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I submitted my receipts with a cover letter over a month ago. I called Ask-MINI today and they said they had not yet received and processed the receipts. I think the customer service people's hands are tied and they must be getting a lot of calls to check status because he said it could take 8 - 10 weeks to receive and process the receipts. He said it could be that they have received the receipts and haven't processed them yet or it could be that they don't have them and never got them. He advised I call back in 4 weeks if we haven't heard anything.

I really must say in this day of electronic rebate submissions and such that I don't like this idea of submitting receipts without any kind of form to complete indicating my VIN or anything. I did include that information in my notes. It might also be more difficult since I did the repairs myself and used online vendors that they haven't yet determined how to handle 3rd party repairs.

Crossing my fingers this all works out.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
This is from the "Great White North", I rec'd. my letter dated April 2012 for the 12 year/200 000km warranty extension. I own a '03 MCS and am the third owner.

June 2013, my power steering crapped out, Mini Canada covered total repairs, plus a 2013 Justa loaner for two days. BTW, after a drive in the 2013, have to say that I wouldn't be interested in the purchasing the new model!

Old 07-26-2013, 06:14 PM
oreganoca
Neutral
Wanted to share my experience this week attempting to find out about my reimbursement... I submitted my receipts and cover letter to miniUSA, via priority mail the day after I got the letter, in late May. I called to check on it yesterday, as it's been eight weeks with no check, and they had said 4-6 weeks. First off, their recording still said that you could expect a check 4-6 weeks after submitting receipts. The guy who I eventually spoke with looked me up, said mine was showing as received, but they hadn't validated it. I asked when I could expect a check. He said they were behind and that it was taking 4-6 weeks to put them in the system, another 1-2 weeks for it to be validated, and then it would go to check writing. I pointed out that 4-6 weeks plus 1-2 weeks was 5-8 weeks, which was already past in my case, since I know when they received my receipts, and asked if I should be concerned. He said no, and regurgitated the same timeline again. I again pointed out that it added to a max of eight weeks to be validated if that was accurate, and eight weeks has come and gone in my case, and asked when I could expect my check. He again recited the same time frame, which is already exceeded in my case. We went round a couple more times before I gave up, still having absolutely no idea when a check may appear. Hope someone is having better luck than me!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM
edgy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm at 9 weeks without an acknowledgement of my letter and dealer receipt I mailed. I'm normally impressed with the efficiency of my dealer/service manager but I can tell that the dealerships are as much at a loss on what to do as we are.

I'm headed to Minis in the Mountains this week and while I'd normally be pumped to see the cars, the friends, the vendors - I'm kinda stuck on the process MINI has engaged to take care of it's owners over the power steering pump issue.

It's not the same issue because it is a cosmetic rather than safety problem but I think about all the hood scoops on turbo'd Minis that have deformed due to the lack of the heat shield: MINI should stand up and admit that there was a design problem and take care of it but I'm guessing they just can't pay for the problem.

The bloom is off the rose.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
zx9rider
2nd Gear
My 03 MC suffered a meltdown in the Chik-Fil-A parking lot. The pwr steering pump appeared to keep running even though the car was shut off. The electrical pull must have been huge because my car was smoking like it was on fire and smelled like an electrical meltdown. The local Mini dealer confirmed it was covered under the recall but said the wiring harness was on back order for 2 months. Has anyone heard of the wiring harness being on back order? What is Mini's position on tow bills and loaners? I'm screweed without my car for 2 months.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
GTA_R53
Neutral
Originally Posted by zx9rider
My 03 MC suffered a meltdown in the Chik-Fil-A parking lot. The pwr steering pump appeared to keep running even though the car was shut off. The electrical pull must have been huge because my car was smoking like it was on fire and smelled like an electrical meltdown. The local Mini dealer confirmed it was covered under the recall but said the wiring harness was on back order for 2 months. Has anyone heard of the wiring harness being on back order? What is Mini's position on tow bills and loaners? I'm screweed without my car for 2 months.
Welcome to the club, exactly what happened to mine. Alternator dead as well, tiny burnt ashes found over engine.
Take photos for record if you can.

Here's an update to mines.
April 15th - towed my smoke filled 05' MCS in.
May sometime - parts back ordered, ETA July 08, didn't happen
May to June - complains and complains
July 18th - offered an loaner
Aug 13th - still driving a loaner

update 2:
Sept 6th - Got voice mail saying car being repaired, may have car the following week if everything is working fine.
Sept 15th - No words yet

My cars has never been sitting outdoor that long. I bet it's getting rusted and more problem will surface.
Reported to Transport Canada Road Safety department. you should report it in the state too, for record.

Last edited by GTA_R53; 09-16-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:57 PM
panaphobic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GTA_R53
Welcome to the club, exactly what happened to mine. Alternator dead as well, tiny burnt ashes found over engine.
Take photos for record if you can.

Here's an update to mines.
April 15th - towed my smoke filled 05' MCS in.
May sometime - parts back ordered, ETA July 08, didn't happen
May to June - complains and complains
July 18th - offered an loaner
Aug 13th - still driving a loaner

My cars has never been sitting outdoor that long. I bet it's getting rusted and more problem will surface.
Reported to Transport Canada Road Safety department. you should report it in the state too, for record.
At least your's is covered! My MINI was a July 2005 build and I've had the PS pump and fan replaced 2 times already, and the entire PS system once! It failed shortly after I purchased my MINI used (at about 90k), then failed around 125k again. The 2nd time it failed, we changed the whole system out. Both times, the resistor in the cooling fan had burned out, causing the PS fan to overheat and seize, which then caused the PS pump to overheat and fail. And yet again, the PS system is leaking! I already have another remanufactured pump waiting to be put in once it fails again, for the 3rd time. I have just over 155k now so even if they extended the "extended warranty" to cover my build date, I still wouldn't be included due to mileage. It's just horrible how they say it was "redesigned", yet we still have the same problems! I've shelled out nearly $4000 for parts and labor which I will never see again for both repairs, and I look to be spending at least another $2000 when it fails again. I wish they would have issued a recall for it, and not the "extended warranty" because mileage wouldn't matter then.

On a side note GTA_R53, MINI has a 12-year, unlimited mileage rust warranty on all 2004 and newer MINIs (something I've used twice now without any problem).

Old 08-16-2013, 06:05 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Yayyyy! Just got my car back form Bob Smith Mini with working power steering! So "pumped" hahaha! They also put a fan protector on all under warranty! Took about 2 months to get parts but I am happy it's finally doneeeee! Now just to find a local shop to fix my oil leaks and throw out bearing :(

Old 08-22-2013, 02:38 PM
zx9rider
2nd Gear
My dealer said it would take 2 months due to back order on wiring harness. But... they called 2 weeks later and it was done. Car is working fine except that the clock in the ceiling is dead now. My dealer replaced the pump, fan, and wiring harness - all under warranty. I'm out $190 for the tow and whatever it costs to get the clock working again.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Why is a new wiring harness necessary?

Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM
YellowTiger
1st Gear
my second pump failed not too long ago. today i went to get an inspection and of course it failed due to the pump. im so tired of dealing with the PS pump...

Old 08-29-2013, 04:00 PM
okeeton
1st Gear
ANy follow thru from Mini on Re-imbursement for failed PS Pump

Anyone get an update on re-imbursement on a replaced power steering under this recall? I too reported mine on my '03 S back in April/May 2013 and have yet to hear a peep out of MINI?

Or is everyone else just listening to the crickets too?

Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM
YellowTiger
1st Gear
Actually i filed a complaint when i posted on here the 26th. I received an email from the complaint people the next morning about what needed to be done. They attached a copy of the letter MINI sent out about the extended warranty and replacement program. They told me i needed to call the number on the letter and see if i fell into the category for repair/replacement. So i called the number and of course i fell into the category. They gave me the number to my closest MINI dealer to check about setting up an appointment for repair. I called the dealership and I go on tuesday to get my pump and fan replaced completely for free! They also told me that if i fax a copy of the bill from when i had the pump previously replaced that they would reimburse me for the repair fees.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:33 AM
the_greek_R53
Neutral
Well mine is making a lot of noise (buzzing) when I turn the wheels both ways. Was that happening to everyone else before it finally went out?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 PM
YellowTiger
1st Gear
yeah mine was making all kinds of squeaking and squealing. Took it this morning and got it repaired. cant even hear the thing at all now. im so happy i didnt have to pay the $1100 bill either! But they did find a few things i needed to fix which i knew about already.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 AM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
I was out of warranty by manufacturer date, just ordered a PS fan since dealer said it was not operating... :(

Old 09-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Righter13
Neutral
Originally Posted by ti22fjc
I was out of warranty by manufacturer date, just ordered a PS fan since dealer said it was not operating... :(
I am out of warranty by date also. Build date of 03/05. However the fan has a date of 02/05 on it. I took it to the local dealer today and they took pictures of the date and said they would send it to the district rep (DR). That it would be up to the DR as what to do as far as warranty goes. Dealer didn't even charge me the diag fee even though by date I don't fall into the category. I will let ya'll know what happens.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 PM
mainiac
Neutral
Expensive repair of all power steering components

I posted this under a similar thread. We should merge the two

I did not receive the extended warranty letter and I bought my 2004 Mini Cooper S new. A friend told me he read about the power steering pump problem. I did some research and found all of you! Except that my car was at the shop being repaired...$1919 (pump, cooling fan, hoses, reservoir). OUCH. I called Mini customer service and they gave me an address in NJ to mail my information too. Any words of advise? Just sit and wait and hope they reimburse me for most of this?! I have never had a repair bill like this, on any vehicle, ever and I am definitely in shock! Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 PM
YellowTiger
1st Gear
My car was manufactured 06/02, a 2002 model. If I got the pump repaired under the warranty there should be no reason you guys can't get it repaired also.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Righter13
Neutral
Originally Posted by YellowTiger
My car was manufactured 06/02, a 2002 model. If I got the pump repaired under the warranty there should be no reason you guys can't get it repaired also.
Your car falls into the dates specified by the letter. Mine however is out of warranty by one month according to build date even though the parts have a build date that falls into the warranty.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:53 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by okeeton
Anyone get an update on re-imbursement on a replaced power steering under this recall? I too reported mine on my '03 S back in April/May 2013 and have yet to hear a peep out of MINI?

Or is everyone else just listening to the crickets too?
Same here... I sent them all the documents in May and nothing so far. I guess I'll have to call them on Monday.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:38 PM
volki
3rd Gear
Just to follow up. I called them today, gave the last 7 of my VIN and was told that just yesterday my case was approved (100% parts, 100% labor for pump and the fan) and I should be receiving a check by the end of September. I sent everything on June 10th. He did mention that they were overwhelmed by the number of submissions.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 AM
edgy
3rd Gear
What number did you use to call MINI? It's been 13 weeks for me and I've been patiently waiting. I'd hate to think I had been patiently waiting to find out in a nother 4 weeks they never received the package of info I sent them.

Quick Reply: Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!