Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Droopy Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Sterling76
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Droopy Headlight

Hello Motorists! or Motor-ers! or Motoring-ers!

I've been a long-time reader and knowledge gleaner. I have done multiple searches for solutions to my problem but have found none.

I have a gently abused 2005 MCS (R53) with HID that I purchased in May. I noticed that the passenger-side headlight turns on, but doesn't go up. The driver-side light operates perfectly.

I did various "fixes" for resetting the projector lamp: lights on, car off, turn car on; turn headlights on with the hood up; adjust the vertical alignment screw (just did 2 half turns, then went back). Nothing seemed to work.

The servo sounds like it does try to move the lamp up, but nothing happens. I'm thinking I may have to disassemble the lamp housing (following DrPhil's Joey mod disassemble instructions) to see if the light is has any resistance to movement or if a gear slipped.

Any other ideas?

The first pic is the passenger side light. The second is the driver side. Yes, I know the hood needs to be repainted .

Attached Thumbnails Droopy Headlight-img_20101004_104859.jpg   Droopy Headlight-img_20101004_104907.jpg  
Old 10-07-2010, 11:40 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
I suspect you are correct with what you already know. However, this is the first time heard of it happening to a pre-face lift model.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:20 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
http://www.allminiparts.com/products...146784698.html

I think it was this (not entirely sure). Mine was fixed under warranty a couple years back.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Sterling76
Neutral
Monday night, I took out the headlight assembly to see what could be done. It appeared as though the light had definitely slipped a gear on the vertical control. Unfortunately, by the time I got a chance to mess with the headlight, it was already 8p. I decided I would wait till this weekend to do a proper "Joey Mod" dis-assembly on the light fixture.

I was able to adjust the light up with the vertical adjustment to the point where I see all the threads on the screw. Left to right had little to no noticeable change on the wall test. However, I have a nice grinding sound coming from the passenger side assembly. I have also done my best not to drive at night till I get this fixed better.

With the "borrowed" hot air gun from work, I'm going to attack the headlight this weekend. I'm hoping it'll be easier to put that stupid headlight washer hose back on in the light.

On a side note, I could've sworn 2005 was the face-lift year for the R53.

Sterling

Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
AMink
2nd Gear
My passenger headlight just did this yesterday. All was well and last night I noticed the pattern was shot and the passenger light was aimed down. Did you ever come to any conclusion on what caused this? Or how to fix it?

Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its quite simple fix guys, what has happened is either you hit one hell of a pot hole or it just poped out of its ball and socket adapter.

just open the bay behind the light and hold onto the red box youll notice you can rock it back and forth in one direction. the little ball and socket part that holds the light on has come disenguaged. pull it back up so its not drooping and give a little pressure pulling outward and down and it should just POP back into place.

this happens to my race setup all the time as my suspention is very harsh.

The following users liked this post:
EZRAS.HONOR (08-22-2024)
Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
AMink
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 4GAZM
its quite simple fix guys, what has happened is either you hit one hell of a pot hole or it just poped out of its ball and socket adapter.

just open the bay behind the light and hold onto the red box youll notice you can rock it back and forth in one direction. the little ball and socket part that holds the light on has come disenguaged. pull it back up so its not drooping and give a little pressure pulling outward and down and it should just POP back into place.

this happens to my race setup all the time as my suspention is very harsh.
That's what out feels like; it's just kind of hanging there. I managed to twist the ballast off (I think that's what it is. It came off easily but I can't get it back on. Also, there was a little plug that might not have been plugged in but I'm not sure. I did plug it in to the ballast but haven't got it all hooked up yet. When I plugged in I had to move a little tab on the ballast that seemed like it was spring loaded. It wasn't. Did I screw anything up? And is there a trick to getting the ballast back on?

Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
AMink
2nd Gear
Got it figured out. There is a ring inside what turns out to be the ignitor. That ring, when turned to remove the ignitor, moves the little piece that pushes the plug out of the socket. I had to "reset"the ring. That lowers the little piece so the plug fits back in. No wonder these things cost a lot!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:19 PM
javelina1
4th Gear
4GAZM, that's exactly what happened with mine. I took the whole assembly out of the car, and noticed that on one axis, it had popped out of a socket. I removed the ignition module, and gave the assembly a gentle pull back, and it popped in.

I had trouble getting the ignition module back on. Glad I read Amink's portion. the ignition has to have it's lock ring reset. Once you do that, it's a-ok from there.

I'm posting what the ignition module looks like, in case someone in the future does a search here, and is having issues putting it back on:

it's the item in the second picture:

http://www.oemxenonshop.com/Mini-R53...placement.html

and also, item number 7 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...23&hg=63&fg=05
My head lamps are auto-leveling just fine now.

thanks!

-jav

Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
Old 11-03-2013, 11:25 AM
javelina1
4th Gear
Just happened again... grrr... popped out of the socket. just snapped it back in, and all is good.