Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

So My R56's Engine Went FUBAR

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Robert Horspool
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class action against Mini

Has there been any class action lawsuits against Mini for the issue with vacuum pump and CEF? My 2007 with 88K just went and had I known about the issue I would have dumped it last year when I had a chance. Has anyone sued Mini or BMW for the issue?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 AM
mini co
1st Gear
vacuum pump

Robert-
Sorry to hear you are one of the unfortunate ones that have engine issues. My vacuum pump went 2011, 54K. Ended up replacing the engine for 6,800 and haven't had a single issue since. I fought to have MINI pay for it. Contacted headquarters, the regional team that decides goodwill cases but to no avail. Even complained to the DOT. MINI said they would not help with the cost because I let it run out of oil and thats why the vacuum pump went out, which was not the case. Told him I checked the oil 2 wks before that and it was fine. His response was " alot can happen in 2 wks". My point exactly, a engine that is running properly shouldn't lose 5 qts of oil in 2 wks. I called several, emailed but couldn't get any response. They have a reason why it went out and it's almost impossible to dispute it. MINI said the only way I might get reimbursed is if they issue a recall, which probably will never happen unless alot of people send in a complaint to the DOT.
Keep us posted
Coleen

Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Robert Horspool
Neutral

I am now moving forward with a possible class action from Mini, after speacking with the customer rep from Mini of North America, they recognize the issue but refuse to do anything about it. I am accusing them of knowingly selling faulty equipment and refusing to issue a safety recall as this issue can cause major harm to an individual who is unaware of castrophic engine failure (CEF). I will be speaking with an attorney and if he okays it I will post his information for contact here and on other forums. Again, this will be for the vacuum pump causing CEF which is a known problem. I am currently arranging to have my Mini towed from the dealership (who I suspect blew the motor) and will have my private mechanic fix it and then it is being sold. I will never buy another Mini again, I am very disgusted with their lack of customer service and their unwillingness to back their known defective products. I own a 04 Chevy Suburban that had tranny issues at 54K and GM fixed it even though it was out of warranty. No such kindness from Mini. Good luck and keep motoring, as much as I loved motoring in my Mini, it has proven to be unreliable as the company and I need reliability.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Robert Horspool
Neutral

I am proceeding with class action suit against Mini. I have spoken to their customer rep and they recognize the problem but fail to fix it. If there is one thing I don't like is when companies don't stand behind their products. I stand behind my work and products I sell 100%, I expect a company asking so much for such a small car to do the same. I will ask the attorney if it is okay to post contact info for him here. This will be for the known vacuum pump failure. Keep a look out for an update, I may start a board just for this.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:08 PM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
I would think an engine failing isnt normally a safety issue since the car can coast to a stop.. I am still wondering how there wasnt a silent recall for the stupid Timing chain gear issues.. Sure there is a fix. Those French and Germans sure know how to build a sub standard engine. I guess since it was going into a "British" car it really didnt matter.. I m also curious if my n14 goes south, will it be replaced with the upgraded engine components? Im kinda venting here,, but didnt a 2009 JCW have LSD but then 2010 they get rid of and use the computer and brakes to do the same thing? This cost them less and then they charge us more? lol ..what gives?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 AM
mini co
1st Gear
vacuum pump

robert-
Will definitely look for updates. Did the dealership try to say it was something you did to make it go out? Just curious.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 AM
bktay
Neutral
Hi guys, i am a newbie here...
I have a 08 mini cooper s starting have the "diesel sound" now,
how i know about this is timing chain tensioner problem or others?
about this thread problem, is cause by the timing chain tensioner?
or the vacuum pump also is another issue i should replace?
what i can do to avoid this problem?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, low oil level will give you the same sound, so make sure your oil level is OK. Second, have your chain length checked. I know there has been debate as to the correct measurement, but your mechanic should know.

I was getting the sound a few months ago and it turned out my tensioner was bad. The plunger did not go in smoothly, it had two spots where it hung up and once it was replaced, I was fine.

Don't ignore it, the noise is telling you there is a problem!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 AM
bktay
Neutral
Originally Posted by gregsmini
First, low oil level will give you the same sound, so make sure your oil level is OK. Second, have your chain length checked. I know there has been debate as to the correct measurement, but your mechanic should know.

I was getting the sound a few months ago and it turned out my tensioner was bad. The plunger did not go in smoothly, it had two spots where it hung up and once it was replaced, I was fine.

Don't ignore it, the noise is telling you there is a problem!
thanks for your reply,
tomorrow, i will go to check my oil level first,
timing chain tensioner problem just at cold start moment? or even fully warm up still have "diesel sound"?
if really the TC tensioner problem, not change will cause the engine failure in the future?
This thread problem (engine failure) just a personal case or common problem?
because my car warranty has expires... i am so worry about this...
thank you bro... so many question...

Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 AM
k6rtm
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get it checked -- now!

I thought mine was either the low-oil sound, or just the cold start rattle...

Checked oil level, took it in for scheduled maintenance, and...

After a few discussions, and not raising my voice, all were in agreement that this was covered by the extended warranty: timing chain, timing chain tensioner, a slew of gaskets, and a good deal of labour.

You get a front-end alignment with the deal, as they have to disassemble the right front portion of the car to get to the timing chain and accompanying bits...

Old 03-31-2013, 01:05 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Hanging out at my local Independent MINI shop, they had one gen2 MINI on the lift...no compression cyl #3, and while they were getting ready to look at it, a second one on a flatbed showed up...no compression cyl #3 also!!
I feel for ya all!!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Good luck to all of you who continue to have this problem.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:00 PM
bktay
Neutral
thanks for reply,
i will go to check my oil level first,
Is it the timing chain tensioner problem just at cold start moment?
If not change will cause the engine failure in the future?
This thread problem (engine failure),
just a personal case or another common problem?
because my mini warranty has expires, i am so worry about the engine...
thanks guys, so many question...

Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Jonny3
Neutral
This same thing happened to my wife's manual 07 R56 in August 2013.

We had originally taken the car to the nearest Mini dealer for a new timing chain, and an intermittent hatch switch. They had the car nearly two weeks, which I thought was strange but they gave us a courtesy car so it was not too much of an inconvenience. When the car was finally finished I made arrangements to pick it up after normal business hours due to my work schedule and the drive time.

I got to the dealership, I started the car, drove it off the lot, and as I shifted into second I heard a “pop” almost like a backfire and then nothing. No power, no gas, nothing and we coasted to a stop. I was later told that the vacuum pump locked up and held the cam in place, ultimately wreaking havoc to the rest of the motor.

We returned it to the dealer who kept it for nearly a month and after much heated discussion, they picked up the tab to rebuild the current motor. I was told that I would have a two year warranty on everything that was replaced. Sounded great, they took care of us and I was a happy customer.

Two months later, late November 2013 I noticed a black soot type residue onthe back hatch, so I decided to take it for a spin (I rarely drive it, it’s my wife’s car). Immediately upon acceleration large plums of grayish blue hazepoured out, and it confirmed my thoughts that the soot on the hatch was burnt oil residue from the exhaust. So I checked the oil and it was extremely low (no dash lights appeared), I topped it off and called Mini. It is now the December 9, 2013 and I have refilled the oil three times and have burnt through 3, five quart jugs of oil in just over two weeks! I have two small oil spots on the garage floor about the size of the palm of your hand, so it doesn’t appear that much oil is leaking out anywhere else. I still have no warning lights on, but I’m afraid all that oil burning through the exhaust will destroy the cat.

The car’s appointment for the dealership on Thursday 12-12-13.

Any feedback on what I should expect from Mini, and is there a chance that this motor is beyond repair?

Last edited by Jonny3; 12-09-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Sounds like you need a new short block at the minimum, and probably a new motor. Burning that much oil, it sounds like they forgot to install rings.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:25 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
You mentioned they 'rebuilt' the engine? It should have been replaced with new. I would certainly bring that up during your discussions with the dealer. They did say you had a 2 year warranty, it might be a short discussion..

Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 PM
kawalabear
1st Gear
2007 MCS 6-speed bought new with extended Maintenance plan, which expired in October. In other words, Mini has maintained this car since day one, up to a month and a half ago. On my way to work 3 weeks ago (this is my daily driver with 72K miles) without warning, suddenly I was running on 2 cylinders and the CEL came on. I had it towed to the dealership, who said "hopefully, it's just carbon and we'll clean it out for $950". But the more they checked, they found that there was no compression in cylinder #2, and they started talking a choice between pulling the head (for which they quoted $7500, it taking 24 hours of labor, PLUS any associated replacement parts), or just replacing the engine for $7800, which includes a 2-year warranty.
I told them I need a second opinion, and had the car transported to Helix in Philadelphia. They just called to say that they did the carbon cleaning ($350) and there was still a compression problem between cylinders 2 & 3. Pulling the head ($500) they found a burnt outlet valve, and offered the choice between repair (plus any other damage) or a new or refurbed engine, which will run me about $6K.
I feel that since Mini has "maintained" this car since day one, and it's a 6-year old car with 72,000 miles, I should not have to pay to replace the engine. Any lawyers out there who can help???!?

Old 12-21-2013, 07:35 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
First, if you're out of warranty, you probably have no legal basis to demand that Mini fix it. Whether a car is maintained by them or anyone else, the warranty defines the limit of their responsibility. Everything else is done on a "goodwill" basis where they step and help to try and maintain better customer relations. If the car has an excellent service history, preferably one-owner, and is only slightly out of warranty, the more likely they'll help... probably not 100%, but some significant contribution to the repair.

The problem with requesting goodwill now is that you should have done this before you took the car to an independent shop. Mini will do nothing unless you get it back to the dealer, let them do the diagnosis, and make the repair. And if they truly told you that the cost to pull the head was $7500, I'd be very worried they're crooks. So the option to pay Helix to put the car back together so you can go back to the dealer and have them tear it all apart again in the hopes Mini will cover some of the repair seems like a poor option to me.

Having said this, in never hurts to call Mini, calmly explain the situation and your options, and see what they say.

It sounds like Helix is a pretty good shop. I'd have tendency at this point to let them do the repair if it is confined to the top end of the engine (e.g., valves, head gasket, etc.) and the engine is otherwise in good shape. It won't be cheap, but it won't be ridiculously expensive either - I would think the additional cost to replace a couple of exhaust valves might be on the order of $500 or so more. You're already on the line for the majority of the labor involving pulling the head so this is a sunk cost.

Then there is the option just to buy a serviceable used engine at a junkyard and have it installed. In situations where an engine needs major internal work, this is often the cheapest option, but of course, it has its own risks. And the very final option is to sell it "as is", and go buy a Mazda. At least that way, you are free of further risk with the car.

Good luck,

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 12-21-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:41 PM
kawalabear
1st Gear
I've already bought an Audi A3 TDI to replace the Mini which is DOA. I'm trying to decide the best option between repair or replacement, and then sale. The folks at Helix are very kind and cooperative about standing by while I research my options, but I can't push that forever...
I must say that I am enjoying the massive torque of the Diesel, AND the "average" 45.9 mpg I've been getting. Tomorrow I am going to call the NJ office that oversees the Lemon Law. I am just blown away that Mini can expect me to shell out $8500 to replace the engine in a car worth maybe $10-12,000.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:06 PM
kawalabear
1st Gear
Markjenn, I appreciate your response, but when I called to ask why my car (2007 MCS) was excluded from the timing chain "service advisory", Mini said, "your VIN is not on the list, so you don't get squat". That is despite the fact that they replaced the original TC in Feb of 2009 because of "noise". Unfortunately, they replaced it with the original spec part, which has been noisy since.
This is an issue of a manufacturer selling a badly designed product, which they knew about for several years now, and now that they are faced with a slew of catastrophic engine failures, they are trying to avoid any responsibility for low-mileage cars becoming door-stops.
I KNOW that I am out of warranty, but they have "maintained" this engine since day one, with catastrophic results. Are you saying that you feel that there is no culpability, or "implied warranty" included with the service that I paid an extra $1250 for?

Old 12-24-2013, 11:54 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kawalabear
Are you saying that you feel that there is no culpability, or "implied warranty" included with the service that I paid an extra $1250 for?
No implied warranty. Warranties are for a set time period under defined conditions. Implied warranties are between friends and good customers of small businesses. BMW is not your buddy, they are in business to make money and you are asking them to give up the profits of a LOT of oil changes to cover a motor they have no responsibility for (warranty). Even if you donated the $1250 to them for no services at all, there would not be an implied warranty.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:43 PM
kawalabear
1st Gear
So the dealer who convinces you that THEY are the most qualified, expertly trained mechanics who will "maintain" your vehicle in the best condition possible, especially since I am not a trained mechanic and depend on their expertise to know what is best to keep my vehicle in tip-top shape, and a month after the maintenance plan ends, the engine self-destructs, that dealer can just say, "Oops, my bad. Sorry. That'll be $8000."? Especially since this is not an isolated case, but widely and frequently happening to these particular cars.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:45 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Yes. Yes, they can. The warranty was for a defined period that has now expired. They are no longer responsible.

It does scare me though to keep hearing of this. My 2010 only has 5 months left under warranty.

Last edited by nine5raptor; 12-24-2013 at 04:17 PM.