Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

PICS of 2011 MCS New Design Valve Cover - Carbon/PCV Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MCSonMymind
So is there a way to install a BSH OCC with this new PCV configuration on a 2011 MCS?
Why would you want to without really understanding how the new engine's PCV system works? That's just blindly throwing a product at an engine.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 AM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishbert
Why would you want to without really understanding how the new engine's PCV system works? That's just blindly throwing a product at an engine.
To be honest, I don't know much about engines...just the very basics. I've only just started learning about PCV systems. I've read a lot of posts stating that an OCC can't hurt. I'm going to pick up a 2011 MCS within the next couple weeks and I just wanted to figure out how to nip the carbon buildup issue in the bud...or at least do all I can about it as soon as possible.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
To be honest, I don't know much about engines...just the very basics. I've only just started learning about PCV systems. I've read a lot of posts stating that an OCC can't hurt. I'm going to pick up a 2011 MCS within the next couple weeks and I just wanted to figure out how to nip the carbon buildup issue in the bud...or at least do all I can about it as soon as possible.
For some reason I read BSH boost tap instead of OCC. The hose from air intake to valve cover is still present, and I would assume the assorted in the BSH kit would still fit that connection. That would help keep sludge out of your intercooler, at least. But the greatest concern (at least in models through 2010) is carbon buildup on the intake valves. Nobody seems to know where the hose leading to that issue went (though it seems likely it's still around somewhere), so we don't know what's going on with that yet.

Also, OCCs *can* hurt. Just a couple weeks ago the service technicians at the dealership were telling me of one car they'd seen come in with blown gaskets caused by an excessively restricting OCC (it's ports necked down to much less than the 3/4" of the factory hoses) that had the effect of pressurizing the crankcase. It was a can that used to be popular in these forums; not the BSH one, though... I believe they preserve the 3/4" hose diameter.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 PM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
For some reason I read BSH boost tap instead of OCC. The hose from air intake to valve cover is still present, and I would assume the assorted in the BSH kit would still fit that connection. That would help keep sludge out of your intercooler, at least. But the greatest concern (at least in models through 2010) is carbon buildup on the intake valves. Nobody seems to know where the hose leading to that issue went (though it seems likely it's still around somewhere), so we don't know what's going on with that yet.

Also, OCCs *can* hurt. Just a couple weeks ago the service technicians at the dealership were telling me of one car they'd seen come in with blown gaskets caused by an excessively restricting OCC (it's ports necked down to much less than the 3/4" of the factory hoses) that had the effect of pressurizing the crankcase. It was a can that used to be popular in these forums; not the BSH one, though... I believe they preserve the 3/4" hose diameter.
Hey, Fishbert...any thoughts on this? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-2011-mcs.html Particularly #16

Old 12-23-2010, 03:55 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Hey, Fishbert...any thoughts on this? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-2011-mcs.html Particularly #16
That's interesting. Not sure if I believe it, though.

If that were true, then the only path to the combustion chamber for crankcase gasses (and all that crud that builds up on the intake valves on 2010 and earlier MCSs) would be through the turbo and intercooler. I wouldn't think the turbo would be an issue, but gumming up the intercooler isn't a terribly good idea.

You know, all that interior surface area of the intercooler would probably act a lot like the baffles in a catch can (one with no drain!), letting the vapors condense and fall out of the air that passes through it. I can't image that very much of those gasses would find their way all the way back to the combustion chamber… and that more-or-less defeats the purpose of the PCV system. But even if they did find their way to the combustion chamber, those gasses (and all that crud that leads to the usual direct-injection carbon buildup issue) will still be passing right over the back of the intake valves. And if that were the case, then why bother getting rid of that passenger side hose in the first place?

Also, much like when you install the BSH boost tap, if they removed that passenger-side hose (without replacing that path with something equivalent), your crankcase is going to be a little more pressurized than it was before when that intake manifold vacuum was sucking gasses out through that hose. That extra pressure may be fine… or it may end up leading to oil leaks and/or a blown gasket.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
I not a current MINI owner but hope to be. The VW MKV GTI with its direct injected 2.0T has the same exact problem. Issues with carbon build up on the valves. This lead to a lot of drivers installing catch cans also. I have just under 30K on my 08 and what I have been told by the dealers master tech, who is also my neighbor, a catch can will possibly reduce the build up of carbon on the valves but also introduces its own issues.

These issues include random CELs, car entering limp mode, and other random issues. I dont have one installed on mine since I dont want to deal with those issues and Im leasing. It may or may not apply to the MCS though.

Oh and this same tech has been the #1 VW tech in the country for the last four years and the #4 tech last year for world wide VW techs. I trust him.

I for one would wait on the 2011 models since it looks like they have made some changes to the system. VW has done the same on its new 2.0T in the 2011 GTI.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Im guna try to install my bsh cc tomorrow. I will let you guys kknow how the install goes.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 AM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by automan21
Im guna try to install my bsh cc tomorrow. I will let you guys kknow how the install goes.
good luck on the install. let us know about your experience.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 AM
cesar418
3rd Gear
how did the install go?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Work has bee crazy and its a bit cold out. I will try once I get out of work, I bought another length or hose incase I have to move the occ around the engine bay.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:09 AM
minimal70700
Neutral
anyone figured out how to do seafoam treatment with this new pcv configuration??

Old 04-16-2011, 12:56 PM
cesar418
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minimal70700
anyone figured out how to do seafoam treatment with this new pcv configuration??
+1
Also does any of you guys cars tend to fluctuate thru 500-1000rpm while at idle? my car does it sometimes when the engine is cold, it starts at a little above 1k, then it goes up and down between 500-1000 several times then it stabilizes at around 500 after couple of min

Old 04-16-2011, 01:48 PM
robinj
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cesar418
+1
Also does any of you guys cars tend to fluctuate thru 500-1000rpm while at idle? my car does it sometimes when the engine is cold, it starts at a little above 1k, then it goes up and down between 500-1000 several times then it stabilizes at around 500 after couple of min
500? I thought average idle rpm for a warm passenger car engine was 800, with a cold idle of ~1200.
then of course there were the old days when you pump the carb, hope it starts, and then it idles at ~2500 for a couple minutes 'till you kick it down

Old 04-17-2011, 10:52 AM
cesar418
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by robinj
500? I thought average idle rpm for a warm passenger car engine was 800, with a cold idle of ~1200.
then of course there were the old days when you pump the carb, hope it starts, and then it idles at ~2500 for a couple minutes 'till you kick it down
well this happens when i cold start it every once in a while, the rpms go up and down as if i'm pressing on the gas pedal, happens for few seconds then it goes to around 800rpms