Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Hood scoop warped form heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 05:19 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hood scoop warped form heat

I just noticed after driving around all day today that my 2007 mcs hood scoop has warped at the top a little bit form the heat of the motor. My brother had a john cooper works 2007 cooper s and I remember his hood scoop actually melted is this a common issue?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes. As common as it gets.

Here's just one thread of many you'll find if you take the time to do a search in the 2nd Gen Stock Problems Forum:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-melting.html

Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM
irontree
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:00 PM
minimize07
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's because their made of plastic...So many of these have been replaced under warranty you would think Mini would make them in metal or carbon fiber as standard.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Mini Mania Info
Banned
You may want to consider one of these...

Ken

Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 PM
MINIDean
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
You may want to consider one of these...

Ken

Well that's interesting. When did MINI come out with this? This should be included with replaced hoods scoops under warranty. Hmmmm.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 AM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Went to my dealer today with warped hood scoop. It was covered under warranty...and I was able to upgrade to a carbon fiber scoop for $110. Having to sell parts from my 2003 MINI to pay for it...but worth the upgrade.

I also think the carbon fiber scoop is worth at least 1 to 2 more HP....anyone agree???

Last edited by jasoncolorado; 12-09-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:01 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
My 2010 Clubman came with one of those heat shields from the factory

Dave

Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 PM
sokolowsmd
1st Gear
if your hood scoop isn't warped, you're not driving right

Old 12-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Oreod
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I am in the discovery phase of purchasing a 2011 Mini. One of the many things I have gleaned from the forum is the heat tranferred to the hood and scoop. I test drove a MCCSa and placed my hand on the hood after the drive. The intake scoop was very warm and the metal just behind it was HOT...to the point of not being able to leave my hand on it. I then drove a JCW MCC with quite different results. The scoop was near ambient and the metal behind it was barely warm. Both were checked within a minute of shutting down the engine. The only difference was the cooling fans were running on the JCW (engine was off). Had they recently run on the MCCS, I don't know. What would be the reason for this huge difference? If it is the fact that the fans were running it seems as this issue would be a fairly easy fix.

gary

Old 12-12-2010, 08:15 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Oreod
... I test drove a MCCSa and placed my hand on the hood after the drive. The intake scoop was very warm and the metal just behind it was HOT...to the point of not being able to leave my hand on it. I then drove a JCW MCC with quite different results. The scoop was near ambient and the metal behind it was barely warm. Both were checked within a minute of shutting down the engine...
I want to say the 2011 JCW vehicles come standard with a heat shield now, but someone else might have to confirm that. I would have thought MINI would have extended this feature to the "S" models as well...? Were these both 2011 model-year vehicles, or was the MCCSa an older model (2008-2010)...?

Originally Posted by Oreod
... The only difference was the cooling fans were running on the JCW (engine was off). Had they recently run on the MCCS, I don't know. What would be the reason for this huge difference? If it is the fact that the fans were running it seems as this issue would be a fairly easy fix.
In either case, the "fan" sound you heard was more likely the coolant pump for the turbocharger; this will often run for several minutes after shutting off the engine to cool the turbocharger, but this is to provide the proper cool-down of the internal components, not to prevent warping of the scoops.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Oreod
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by timfitz63
Were these both 2011 model-year vehicles, or was the MCCSa an older model (2008-2010)...?
Both were new 2011's.

gary

Old 02-01-2011, 02:03 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my chrome hood scoop replaced about a month ago along with an accompanying heat shield. So far, no problems and the scoop feels much cooler to the touch after driving.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I got the dealer to install a carbon viber hood scoop for $100 when my original started to warp.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Update: my replacement chrome hood scoop (with heat shield) is showing early signs of warping: the finish is lifted and peeling sort of. I contacted my dealer and they said that the part is warrantied for 2 yrs so I'll have it again replaced when I get my oil changed in November.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
My 05/11 build date factory JCW did not come with a heat shield. Purchased one from Way Motor Works--$26--and was on the car 2 days after delivery. Nick

Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 AM
HarleyDS
2nd Gear
2011 JCW chrome scoop warped too

Well it didn't warp, but the chrome started to peel off. Dealer replaced it for free and the new one had the heat shield. He also said the part itself is warranties for 2 years so if it happens again, swap it out just before the cars warranty expires.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Can't believe BMW still hasn't corrected the real source of the scoop droop problem! Dealer replaced mine twice on my '08 MCS before I decided to correct the heat demon myself. The heat damage occurs not while driving, but when you stop and park. The scoop is non-functional and when stopped there's no way for engine bay heat to escape. I was seeing scoop temps of +250deg! The scoop sits just a few inches above that 1200deg turbo and the factory heat shield is just to keep idiots from reaching in there and touching it. I put on a m7 heat shield and JCW CF scoop with no grill and problem solved with no issues after 35K. It's still unnerving to see the heat waves pouring out of the scoop when you park.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:30 PM
miniemee
3rd Gear
Aftermarket heat shields are common. Mine is made by M7 a few years back, the dealer replaced the hood scoop with the plastic one. Put on M7 no more warping. It ducts the heat away from the scoop. Easy to istall.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 PM
ZeR0 EVOlution
2nd Gear
I removed the plastic shroud from my scoop so that it can be semi-functional, and it has worked flawlessly. No purchase necessary. It actually allows air to be aimed at the block itself helping to eliminate excess heat that just idles under the bonnet. It won't help performance, but now my scoop won't melt even under the hottest conditions (well, maybe if it breaks 100 degrees).

The only warning I'll give you is that you should MAKE SURE YOU PLUG THE SCOOP WHEN YOU WASH THE CAR OR DRIVE IN THE RAIN! The wires on your engine are covered, but that's only to protect it against a bit of water. If it's raining, you'll the the block soaked and may cause something to short out. This is also true for when you wash your car.

I have a bit of warping in the middle-top portion of my scoop, but it's hardly noticeable to the naked eye (unless someone owns a Mini or something). It hasn't progressed any further since.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jasoncolorado
Went to my dealer today with warped hood scoop. It was covered under warranty...and I was able to upgrade to a carbon fiber scoop for $110. Having to sell parts from my 2003 MINI to pay for it...but worth the upgrade.

I also think the carbon fiber scoop is worth at least 1 to 2 more HP....anyone agree???
I did the same. Went for the carbon fiber option

Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Clubman S Turbo
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, Im getting mine looked at next week for the dreaded melting issue as well but I got a lot of push-back on the phone from the guy over a carbon replacement. Does anyone who did a carbon inlet under warranty have any details? I would love to not have mine melt again in 9 months after I'm out of warranty, just because these things are junk and they wont address it properly. I love the car but its disheartening and sad to see a high end Deutsche manufacturer treat their customers like GM in the 1980s.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubman S Turbo
Hi, Im getting mine looked at next week for the dreaded melting issue as well but I got a lot of push-back on the phone from the guy over a carbon replacement. Does anyone who did a carbon inlet under warranty have any details? I would love to not have mine melt again in 9 months after I'm out of warranty, just because these things are junk and they wont address it properly. I love the car but its disheartening and sad to see a high end Deutsche manufacturer treat their customers like GM in the 1980s.
Just a note that parts replaced by the dealer under warranty have their own warranty which lasts for two years or the remainder of the factory warranty, *whichever is longer*. So if you have a melted scoop replaced now and the replacement melts within two years, it's still under warranty even if the warranty on the rest of the car has expired.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Harley, ^

Both of my scoops started with the chrome finish peeling/cracking but soon after, the scoop appeared "lifted" from the hood of the car. In other words, a little space developed where the scoop used to lie flush on the hood. Just a tip in case you want to keep an eye on it. Its appearance might change and evolve as the shield is exposed to more heat.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
On this forum, I've heard of a few of the chrome hood scoops having problems with the chrome peeling.

Dave

Quick Reply: Hood scoop warped form heat