Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

3k RMP Engine Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Metman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3k RMP Engine Rattle

Long time lurker first time poster. I find most of my questions answered but haven't found one to this question.

I drive an '07 MCS, 54k miles, and just recently, within the last couple of days, I've noticed an unmistakably loud rattling sound coming from the engine compartment after the car is fully warmed up but not before. It happens at two times. First when I get to about 3,000 RPMs and continues until I drop below 3,000 and second when I let off the throttle quickly like when I'm shifting. It sounds nearly identical to the notorious cold start rattling/knocking sound that my car does only much louder. I'm not noticing any change in performance nor mileage but it concerns me and it is not just annoying but shockingly loud.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? Does anybody have any solutions?

Thanks,

Travis

Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the chain tensioner needs to be replaced. Symptoms are similar to mine and that is what they did.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Metman
Neutral
Is replacing the chain tensioner a relatively easy job or is it something that needs to be looked at by a mechanic?

Is there anyway to test it?

Travis

Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure on how easy it is. Replacing the chain tensionor is also the fix for the cold start rattle problem (sometimes they'll replace some other parts as well).

I took mine into the MINI dealer. The diagnosis and repair totaled 3-3.5 hours of time while I waited. If you can get to a dealer, might be worth it to see if they will extend you some goodwill since you are just over your warranty period.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Metman
Neutral
Ahhh, so I just got off the phone with the dealer and got a rather curt response about the problem. I had brought the car in about the cold start rattle two days after owning the car and brought up the same issue each time I brought it in for servicing and not once did they offer a solution nor offer to fix the problem. They led me to believe it's something that I would have to live with.

Now that the car is out of warranty they are quick to have me bring the car in to diagnose the problem and fix it now that I'm hearing the rattle at 3k rpm.

This really irks me.

Travis

Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Metman
Neutral
Thanks for the suggestions. I got the car back from the dealer and everything seems to be working great. Despite the car being out of warranty they covered the fix because of me bringing up the issue about the cold start rattle and a frank conversation I had with the service manager.

Travis

Old 12-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Tortatamer
Neutral
Metman, are you checking the engine oil level at all? The N14 engines consume oil due to the turbo, and when the tensioner is starved of oil it will sieze, giving too much slack to the chain and if it's driven over longer periods of time on low oil eventually the guide rails will break. The reason I ask is because many people wait for a light come on to tell them their oil level is low, but you only have a low oil pressure light, which will come on when your engine is practically dry. I would check the oil once a month just to keep the problem from reoccuring.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
I am getting the same noise, it seems. I did not really notice it until I was in the parking garage at work. If I rev the engine in neutral (after it has warmed up, from the drive in to work), if I let off the gas, as the revs fall I hear a rattle around 3k.

I had the tensioner replaced when I bought the car used last year, but they did not replace the chain. Maybe I will have them take a listen when I go to the dealership tomorrow for the CM Rock the Rivals event.

Also, with the hood up and idling, if I listen closely I can hear the timing chain moving... Not loudly, but definitely can be heard. Any concerns there? I have not had the cold start rattle since I got the fix done last year...