Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fan and wiring harness fried

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:15 PM
91Eunos
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan and wiring harness fried

So I took my '06 MCS in to get a new clutch installed a couple of months ago and when I it got back I noticed a strong burning smell (not clutch)... Took it back and they can't find a problem.

Then the car died (electrical failure) on a drive home one night...suspected the alternator and it was indeed toast...as was the battery. So far I'm not happy but at least this was plausible.

Then the car started doing other wierd electrical stuff so back it goes again.

New diagnosis is the ECU (or at least certain circuits) is fried too. Dman.

So after 3 shops (including the local dealership) and a lot of work by one of the best Mini Tuners in the world (Klaus-Peter Becker who used to own the local BMW dealership but sold it to concentrate on his "side" business Shaefer Mini Clubsport....look him up), I now have a new ECU, alternator, battery and about to have at least part of the wiring harness as well as the fan/fan motor replaced. Dman, this is getting expensive...in for over €2K so far.

Best guess from all concerned is that the fan motor seized, fried the wiring and in turn fried part of the ECU, the alternator and the battery.

I know there was a recall on some '05s w/similar issues but was told that it didn't apply to my car. Mine is an extremely late 2006 build...one of the last ones to roll off the line before they retooled for the R56.

Starting to wonder if I got one of those old left over wiring harnesses from '05 at the bottom of the parts bin.

Anyone else having similar issues with an '06 MCS?

Last edited by 91Eunos; 12-15-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:56 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Sounds like you are getting a half story on the "recall".
Lol...kinda funny.
When the PS fan siezs on a 05+ mini, a fuse blows...
On the pre 05 and unmodified, if the fan seized, a fuse would blow, stopping the P's fan AND the radiator fan...that was the issue.
Not sure what happened to your car, but it sounds like your friends aren't so knowledgeable.....

Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
To be honest it sounds like they chafed a wire or something during the clutch install...crap happens!!
There was a bit of a chafing issue on the PS harness on some 05's if I remember right...had nothing to do with a fan...
Good Luck, hope everything works out for you!!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 PM
91Eunos
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
To be honest it sounds like they chafed a wire or something during the clutch install...crap happens!!
There was a bit of a chafing issue on the PS harness on some 05's if I remember right...had nothing to do with a fan...
Good Luck, hope everything works out for you!!
Kind of suspecting this myself... Klaus-Peter himself and his lead mechanic are digging into the car now. I'm sure I'll get a good post-mortem.

...and a huge bill.

If it's not chafed/cut and the wire(s) just melted then I plan to hip a box full of part to Mini NA along with a bill.

I'm sure that will get a great response.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:38 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
So I took my '06 MCS in to get a new clutch installed a couple of months ago and when I it got back I noticed a strong burning smell (not clutch)... Took it back and they can't find a problem.
The problem you will have in getting MINI to pay for the parts...the subframe was likely dropped, or the motor/tranny pulled out....THIS IS MAJOR work on a car....
I think the fact it happened RIGHT after you had the clutch done is a clue...getting parts out/in a car sometimes require a bit of persuasion....and something could have been nicked, scratched, bumped, crushed....
Check the parts that get pulled off closely...the fact that the car went dead electrically should be a pretty big clue...heck a HUGE amount of current was going someplace...likely there is a sign of ARCING...it sounds like you were lucky to not have a fire!
Good luck...maybe since you have the local guru working on your car will help in getting a bit of $$ towards the repair...but accidents happen...maybe it was their fault..maybe it wasn't.