Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Yo-Yo Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 10:57 AM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>uh, aren't you supposed to just pop the plastic rod off?

Space is kinda tight and I tried it a few times and noticed I was chewing up the plastic on the rod-end and scratching the metal rod so I decided to make a nice clean cut from underneath and pulled it off. It'll still go back on easily if I ever decide to do put it back.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:28 PM
1cleancooper
2nd Gear
everybody understands that this mod put a lot more stress on the supercharger, and WILL lead to it breaking down faster, especialy if you have a smaller pulley on it. Either way, i tried it and yes it is smoother, but i don't really have a problem with yoyo because i've been able to get used to it. My old vw 1.8t had some major surging (yoyo), and after a while you learn how to drive the car smoothly with it. Anyway, i put it back to stock.

Old 02-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
[anti-**** vendetta]
1cleancooper:
Can you explain why you feel the supercharger gets "a lot more stress" than in stock config? Keep in mind the blower is always spinning, regardless of the bypass valve position. Eaton makes it very clear on their website that the bypass valve is strictly to improve fuel economy; it makes no reference to increased longetivity. Furthermore, if you're hard on the gas pedal - the bypass valve will be closed anyway. The supercharger creates heat by compressing air - if you’re not letting in much air (throttle body angle) then you're not making much heat, and therefore you're not stressing components very much. It’s tragic you're willing to accept an inherent design flaw (the Yo-Yo) as "something to get used to”, but please don’t assert your unfounded opinion as fact because you don’t care.
:evil:

Old 02-10-2004, 06:05 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
>>[anti-**** vendetta]
>>1cleancooper:
>>Can you explain why you feel the supercharger gets "a lot more stress" than in stock config? Keep in mind the blower is always spinning, regardless of the bypass valve position. Eaton makes it very clear on their website that the bypass valve is strictly to improve fuel economy; it makes no reference to increased longetivity. Furthermore, if you're hard on the gas pedal - the bypass valve will be closed anyway. The supercharger creates heat by compressing air - if you’re not letting in much air (throttle body angle) then you're not making much heat, and therefore you're not stressing components very much. It’s tragic you're willing to accept an inherent design flaw (the Yo-Yo) as "something to get used to”, but please don’t assert your unfounded opinion as fact because you don’t care.
>> :evil:

DITTOS

Old 02-10-2004, 09:10 PM
efcmini
4th Gear
Okay I joined the gang tonight!! I decided to not unhook that black plastic hook looking linkage and just zip tied with it still in place. No problems correct? I only took about a 2 minute drive because I attracted the attention of the local gendarme as I left my neighbourhood so I returned to base immediately instead of tempting fate.

I did notice one thing in my short drive. It seemed that when I got on it and let off quickly (upon spotting Mr. Policeman) the car seemed to jerk like I haven't noticed before. Related to the tie? I'll check it further tomorrow.

Ken

Old 02-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Tokio
2nd Gear
Just picked up my car today after a final inspection/repair (3+1 for Lemon Law) relative to the yoyo. After attempting to fix the yoyo 4 times BMW have now palmed it off as a characteristic of the car.

Joe Garcia was the BMW area rep (weazle) who deemed it a characteristic - under oath in a previous lemon law hearing he stated that BMW had a fix for this specific problem.

I have had to play charades with the service agents here at Ft Lauderdale ever since I found out they were trying to hide the issues with these cars on behalf of BMW - I'm embarrassed for these guys really - however they are willing to lie to save their BMW asses. Several times now they have refused to write up the service reports correctly. These are legal documents.

They have threatened to call the police to have me removed several times now when I have demanded the documentation be correct. Now they have banned me from their service center - seems I know too much about my legal rights and the technical aspects of these problematic issues.

They told me that they drove another Cooper S for comparison and said it's yoyo was a lot worse. That should make me feel better I guess. They also said no fix was in sight - it's a characteristic.

I suggest you all LEMON LAW your cars - if you don't like yoyoing - there are many S drivers who swear they don't have this problem.

Motor On

Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I obviously feel your pain, Tokio. My primary dilemma is; I don't want to get rid of my MINI. It's by far the most satisfying vehicle to drive spiritedly I've ever owned, and beyond that, I've already put way too much money in aftermarket products to Lemon the car and lose all that product. I can kick myself for dumping in the money before realizing a fix, however the Yo-Yo isn't a deal-breaker for me, especially since I've been able to temporarily fix it with the Ryephix's.

Best of luck to you all trying to deal with your dealerships, ughk.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:45 AM
Tokio
2nd Gear
Rye,

The deal breaker for me is the total dishonesty from all sides of the BMW Mini management and dealership network. I really don't want to be tied to a company like that and be paying them money continuously for their dishonesty.

I'm sorry it worked out this way too as I also have some aftermarket goodies also.

BMW and their agents can not be trusted to do anything but lie and hide their problems in my experience.

There are alternatives to this car.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:18 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
I too would like too chime in with my dismay at why BMW seems soo slow to openly admit and acknowledge when they have problems. The money they loose on the fixes for the cracked windshields, the yo-yo and the garbage floating in my coolant, could be made up on return buisness in 4 or 5 years.

The customers they loose to misinformation, denial of wide spread known issues and a seeming lack of response to those issues, are customers they loose forever, for all of there products. Curious behaviour at best.

There seemingly dishonest aproach does nothing to build confidence in the long term durability of this product.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:44 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
I feel the pain, now that I've drive it a bit- the yo-yo is a sign of poor engineering validation. I do feel confident in my MCS and it not leaving my stranded, but I've already developed a few rattles @ 100MI.

I do have the yo-yo, tho it isn't bad, IMHO. I t drove my MA's car, which certainly was worse. I will say, tho, that my expierences with GM haven't been any better. I have a 2001 olds intrigue that was in for 3 headliners because the felt would tear back by the roof opening. My 1999 had it replaced too! I also went thru a radio headunit on each, due to horrible skipping on all. And after a year on the new unit, it's back to skipping again. My Vette, oddly, was nearly ok. With the exception of a random passcode problem (ignition lock), which I would have to make many attempts and take nearly 20 minutes to start the car up "no fix, happens randomly" dealer said...

Old 02-16-2004, 05:42 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ryan---

What's the secret to popping-off the tie rod on the bypass valve linkage? I *carefully* tried a number of methods (and tools) and didn't feel like I would be able to make any progress without damaging the linkage. Of course its pretty tight in there.

When I was sitting at my desk, I glanced at my hand-held hole punch and got this idea to modify the end of the jaws with the hole in it. Basically, it would require flattening the jaw out and cutting it into a two-pronged fork and modifying the "punch" side of the jaws to make the post smaller in diameter. Kinda like making a hand-held gear puller.

Before I go to all the trouble, however, I wanted to know if there is an easier way. I suppose I could zip tie the whole thing without disconnecting the linkage. Any forseeable issues with that?

Thanks,

Old 02-16-2004, 02:52 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
You can add me to the list. It's not bad but it's there.
Mid November '03 build (04 model MCS)
TD79183

And also, the pix someone posted on how to do the ryefix #1 are red x's. So other than ryan's pic of the cable tied valve, there isn't anything to go by...

Old 02-16-2004, 03:11 PM
AmRov
1st Gear
Please add me: AmRov, TD82228. 01/04 build MCS.

Just took delivery 2/12/04; experiencing the acceleration oscillation around 3000 RPMs...

Old 02-16-2004, 03:52 PM
orthomini
3rd Gear
>>>BMW and their agents can not be trusted to do anything but lie and hide their problems in my experience.
>>
>>There are alternatives to this car.
>>
>>i agree that BMW and many big corps. find it easier and cheaoer to pay off individuals that do an outright fix . however with internet forums it seem much harder or impossible to hide such problems and will hurt them in the long run. a local BMW mech. says they have a history of putting cars on the market and then tweaking the electronics as needed, so maybe there is hope.

Old 02-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
--->Koopah: I used needle nose pliers to pop off the bypass valve linkage. You can also use a pair of flathead screwdrivers to get better leverage. Just like everything else on the MINI, you'll feel like you're breaking it, but you won't. However, like many others have found out, you can zip tie the valve shut with the linkage in place - no harm, just make sure you use a strong zip tie.

--->Tokio and gmack: I agree about the dishonesty of the Dealerships, however, while MINIUSA is difficult to contact directly, they are not conciously being dishonest; the problem is they don't have in place an effective way to communicate to the public so the hearsay turns into myth, into fact.

--->AmRov: sorry to hear you're joining us in here, you seem to be the 1st 2004-built so far. Keep your foot down, and you head up - we can only hope the fix will come around soon.

...speaking of "the fix" from MINI, I would like to tenitively announce that MINI has said they will contact me as soon as a fix is "approved", and I will be the first person outside the engineering group to recieve "the fix". This way I can let you guys know ASAP when "the fix" is finished and on its way to the dealerships!

In other news; I uploaded my Webb/Powerchips ECU again. I must say, the phenomenon that seems to be the PID overshoot (the "snap" from part-throttle to full-throttle), is diminished in amplitude and relocated in throttle pedal position. This is, my guess, due to the increased torque and subsequent change in loading on the powertrain; as Randy Webb claims they do no have the ability to re-write the algorithms with the ECU upgrade. What does this mean; I dunno. I remember that when I was running the stock bypass valve, the aftermarket mapping made similar changes, but the net effect was similar to stock instead. Hmmmm...

Old 02-16-2004, 09:32 PM
efcmini
4th Gear
I tried to post this earlier today but couldn't so hopefully this will still help somebody.

Koopah,

I didn't disconnect the linkage as I didn't trust myself from damaging it.
I zip tied with the linkage in place, but I'm not harming the linkage as I
went "inside it" if you see what I mean. I bought an extra long zip tie,
kinked it into a sort of V shape, snaked it "front side" (maybe a better
term than my earlier "inside&quot of the linkage and then tied it off. Cut off
all of the extra tie and voila, done. As you say, it is very tight in
there, but that extra long zip tie definitely helped. I can't be harming
the linkage as I'm not touching it and it's just not moving.

Hope that helps.

Ken

White over Indi Blue 03 S, Magnaflow exhaust; MiniMania: Pulley, Header, Short Shift; Mini Madness: Rear Sway bar, Cold Air Intake; Pilo ignition & wires; Alta Intercooler air diverter; 5Zigen 5ZR 17x7.5 w/ Yoko ES100's; tint; 4" stubby ant; UJ sunroof

Old 02-17-2004, 06:34 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Can someone please post a pic of where this bypass valve resides in the engine compartment? Or a really detailed description? I took a quick peak this morning and couldn't find it. And the pics posted earlier in this thread are dead.

Thanks! :smile:

Old 02-17-2004, 06:43 AM
Mike87
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
You can add me to the list... TD58221 09/02 build.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
d2mini - my 1st pics were on page 2. Parklife posted a how-to with good pics on page 6, however they're down, but I just PM'd him about it. Where is the bypass valve: open the bonnet (duh). on the drivers side of the compartment; between the bottom side of the intercooler tubing, and the supercharger inlet black ducting. If you know where the throttle body is, it's immediately downstream of it.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:39 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
ahhh...thanks ryan. somehow i missed your pics on page 2 the first time around. :smile:

Old 02-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just read this news article about Siemens moving 15,000 software programming jobs to India, China and Eastern Eurpope to cut costs. The article can be found HERE.

Looks like we need to get Siemens to put the MoJo on the Yo-Yo pronto!

Old 02-17-2004, 02:40 PM
jblow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sept. '03 build '04 MCS. Yo-yo since delivery; TD75xxx.

Old 02-17-2004, 02:48 PM
BMWNA
3rd Gear
I'm with MINI USA. An important reminder : Modification of your vehicle or installation of any non-approved aftermarket performance accessory will void the MINI new passenger car limited warranty. Components attached to the vehicle which alter the original engineering and/or operating specifications will void the MINI new passenger car limited warranty. Components attached to the vehicle that result in damage to other original components will also void the MINI new passenger car limited warranty coverage. Feel free to call us at 866 ASK.MINI if you need any further clarification.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:01 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
>>I'm with MINI USA. An important reminder : Modification of your vehicle or installation of any non-approved aftermarket performance accessory will void the MINI new passenger car limited warranty. Components attached to the vehicle which alter the original engineering and/or operating specifications will void the MINI new passenger car limited warranty. Components attached to the vehicle that result in damage to other original components will also void the MINI new passenger car limited warranty coverage. Feel free to call us at 866 ASK.MINI if you need any further clarification.
>>

Unfortunately it seems that owners like Ryephile are forced to take matters into their own hands when Mini refuses to aknowledge there is a problem for so long.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:36 PM
efcmini
4th Gear
>>I'm with MINI USA. An important reminder : Modification of your vehicle or installation of any non-approved aftermarket performance accessory will void the MINI new passenger car limited warranty. Components attached to the vehicle which alter the original engineering and/or operating specifications will void the MINI new passenger car limited warranty. Components attached to the vehicle that result in damage to other original components will also void the MINI new passenger car limited warranty coverage. Feel free to call us at 866 ASK.MINI if you need any further clarification.
>>

No doubt you logged all of those vins perfectly though didn't you?! You guys have to be good at something.

Ken

Quick Reply: The Yo-Yo Chronicles