Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Yo-Yo Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
thanks for the info Dustin07 :smile:

---> jblack73: glad you like the Ryephix

Update from MINIUSA: Got in touch with my contact at MINIUSA today. The only info that could be given was that the fix for the Yo-Yo is "about 30 days from being released". I certainly hope this is accurate, the past two days of Yo-Yo is torture after many weeks of Yo-Yo freedom!

until next time,
Ryan

Old 03-08-2004, 09:58 PM
sanddan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed a boost gage and saw the yo-yo on the gage. I was going up a slight hill and gave it a little throttle. The gage went from 10 in vacume to 5 pis boost. Then the needle started to jump from 0 to 5 psi and back. The yo-yo was too slight to feel but was easy to see on the gage.

Old 03-09-2004, 02:37 PM
GJR
2nd Gear
I have a 7/03 build MCS with prominent yo-yo symptoms. It's so bad that I quite often find myself thinking about bailing out and purchasing something else...hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:27 PM
TXDeepone
Neutral
Ryan
Are you planning to file a Lemon Law claim if it isn't resolved?

Jim
>>thanks for the info Dustin07 :smile:
>>
>>---> jblack73: glad you like the Ryephix
>>
>>Update from MINIUSA: Got in touch with my contact at MINIUSA today. The only info that could be given was that the fix for the Yo-Yo is "about 30 days from being released". I certainly hope this is accurate, the past two days of Yo-Yo is torture after many weeks of Yo-Yo freedom!
>>
>>until next time,
>>Ryan

Old 03-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
---> TXDeepone - I plan on Lemoning MM2 due to the Yo-Yo. I will start drafing my Last Chance letter to the dealership shortly. Since there is nothing the dealer can do about the Yo-Yo, this will be a relative walk in the park, I hope. I plan on getting another MCS, pending no Yo-Yo upon delivery, of course.

Old 03-11-2004, 05:38 AM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
>>---> TXDeepone - I plan on Lemoning MM2 due to the Yo-Yo. I will start drafing my Last Chance letter to the dealership shortly. Since there is nothing the dealer can do about the Yo-Yo, this will be a relative walk in the park, I hope. I plan on getting another MCS, pending no Yo-Yo upon delivery, of course.

Something tells me you will get the "Beta" fix after your letter is sent. Similar to the early V36 Beta users. Let us know what their response is. If they truely have a fix planned for 30 days, they will probably drag their feet for a few more weeks. Good luck, hate to see it come down to LL.

Old 03-11-2004, 11:05 AM
jblow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 MCS just returned from local MINI service; the tech was unwilling to acknowledge the 'yo-yo', rather focusing on the fact that they reflashed my car w/ v.36. Even though I have an early Sept build, feedback was that I already had v.36 from delivery. The 'yo-yo' has been apparent since day 1; hopefully MINIUSA is working towards a resolution.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Dustin07
Neutral
cool, i hope that they are within 30 days of a release, because i plan to buy 2 Minis within 60 days.

when i was talking to the dealer he "had no idea what i was talking about" when i mentioned the yo-yo.

Old 03-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Meeting at MCM was a mixed bag. My Service Advisor was cool as usual. Separately, I wrote the General Manager a letter describing the fundamental unprofessionalism of the Service Manager, however. When the SM got wind of it, he phoned me very rudely and stated "pick up your car immediately, you are no longer welcome at this dealership!" and then hung up on me despite my repeated questioning onto WHY he was making these brash statements. To say he's an over-emotional ********* is being nice

LOL! like a lowly SM is in that sort of powerful position. So I phoned the GM and summarized his SM's behavior, and he was mortified, and insisted he will "make it right". The GM is supposedly setting me up to "work directly" with MINI's regional engineer on the Yo-Yo issue. In any case, I did pick up MM2 soon after the SM's lash out against me. I will not tolerate unprofessional behavior, and leave my MINI in the responsibility of someone so hotheaded.

So, the whole morning was wasted, I think. Hopefully, the GM will make good on his word (so I don't have to roll more heads), and expedite my Lemon pursuance. While the behavior from the Service Manager today sealed that I will never do business with Motor City MINI again, the General Manager can still at least save some face by doing what is right. How the interaction of the Regional Engineer plays out will dictate when/if I put my Ryephix #2 back in.

Yuk, lots of drama, minimal results today

Old 03-11-2004, 07:16 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
ROFLMAO squared Wish you had it on tape

>>Meeting at MCM was a mixed bag. My Service Advisor was cool as usual. Separately, I wrote the General Manager a letter describing the fundamental unprofessionalism of the Service Manager, however. When the SM got wind of it, he phoned me very rudely and stated "pick up your car immediately, you are no longer welcome at this dealership!" and then hung up on me despite my repeated questioning onto WHY he was making these brash statements. To say he's an over-emotional ********* is being nice
>>
>>LOL! like a lowly SM is in that sort of powerful position. So I phoned the GM and summarized his SM's behavior, and he was mortified, and insisted he will "make it right". The GM is supposedly setting me up to "work directly" with MINI's regional engineer on the Yo-Yo issue. In any case, I did pick up MM2 soon after the SM's lash out against me. I will not tolerate unprofessional behavior, and leave my MINI in the responsibility of someone so hotheaded.
>>
>>So, the whole morning was wasted, I think. Hopefully, the GM will make good on his word (so I don't have to roll more heads), and expedite my Lemon pursuance. While the behavior from the Service Manager today sealed that I will never do business with Motor City MINI again, the General Manager can still at least save some face by doing what is right. How the interaction of the Regional Engineer plays out will dictate when/if I put my Ryephix #2 back in.
>>
>>Yuk, lots of drama, minimal results today

Old 03-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well...I've been on Ryephix #1 for about a week now to try to detect the throttle "break-point" issue. I have not experienced it during constant acceleration. However, I have noticed it when I try to get on the gas again after a period of deceleration; kind of a "snap" describes it very well, Ryan.

My question is this: is this part of the whole bypass/overshoot thing or is this a separate issue? I find the break-point thing kind of curious because if I decelerate then *ease* on the throttle, it is not noticeable. It only seems to happen when I am agressive with my throttle input (foot).

Hummmmm...

Old 03-12-2004, 10:44 AM
TXDeepone
Neutral
Hi Ryan
You are at least the second person I've heard about being banned from their Mini dealership. What a disgrace!
Jim

>>Meeting at MCM was a mixed bag. My Service Advisor was cool as usual. Separately, I wrote the General Manager a letter describing the fundamental unprofessionalism of the Service Manager, however. When the SM got wind of it, he phoned me very rudely and stated "pick up your car immediately, you are no longer welcome at this dealership!" and then hung up on me despite my repeated questioning onto WHY he was making these brash statements. To say he's an over-emotional ********* is being nice
>>
>>LOL! like a lowly SM is in that sort of powerful position. So I phoned the GM and summarized his SM's behavior, and he was mortified, and insisted he will "make it right". The GM is supposedly setting me up to "work directly" with MINI's regional engineer on the Yo-Yo issue. In any case, I did pick up MM2 soon after the SM's lash out against me. I will not tolerate unprofessional behavior, and leave my MINI in the responsibility of someone so hotheaded.
>>
>>So, the whole morning was wasted, I think. Hopefully, the GM will make good on his word (so I don't have to roll more heads), and expedite my Lemon pursuance. While the behavior from the Service Manager today sealed that I will never do business with Motor City MINI again, the General Manager can still at least save some face by doing what is right. How the interaction of the Regional Engineer plays out will dictate when/if I put my Ryephix #2 back in.
>>
>>Yuk, lots of drama, minimal results today

Old 03-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I'm not banned from the dealership - the General Manager isn't that stupid! I would have the BBB on their tails faster than a _______! The Service Manager doesn't have the authority to "ban" me from the dealership; he can choose to not service me if that's the attitude he wants to push; however that would be not be in the best interest of the dealership. Clearly they have some fundamental customer relations issues to work out. BTW - the GM did NOT call me back today. Heads will have to roll on Monday I'm sure the owner of the dealership won't be happy to hear his employees are actually trying to screw customers!

Amused,
Ryan [on an anti-**** vendetta]

Old 03-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ryephile, have you considered having a priest perform an exorcism on MM2?

Everytime I read this thread, my heart sinks a little bit. I'll keep you and MM2 in my best thoughts, and hope the yo-yo can finally be exorcised from your MINI

Old 03-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I spoke to another old-timer (read: carbureted) engine management guru. Since he has a relatively negative viewpoint of e-gas, it was interesting to hear his perspective. He said that the Break-point is most likely the computer predicting my throttle position end point before I actually get there; basing its' prediction upon the slope or acceleration rate of the throttle pedal. I think this is quite interesting. My Break-point seems to be the opposite of Koopah's; it's most noticeable when I slowly push the pedal down. The closer I get to the floor, suddenly, the computer will decide at a certain point to snap open to WOT! It can be as big a jump as, I'm guessing here, from 50% throttle position to WOT in very few degrees of pedal position, DEFINITELY not proportional!

---> Koopah, to answer you question: No, I don't believe the Break-point is necessarily related to the Yo-Yo like the Overshoot is.

I'm further flabbergasted that MINI Engineering feels the Yo-Yo has nothing to do with the bypass valve. (Oops, was I supposed to leak that tidbit? hee hee) It's clear as day when I install my Ryephix #2 that the stiffer spring definitely eradicates the system instability, however the Overshoot is still there (I believe this to be the ECU part that needs to be fixed). I suppose we'll have to wait and see; sooner is obviously better than later. In the meantime, this damn stock bypass valve is coming back off very soon, driving with the Yo-Yo sucks!

Motor-On,
Ryan

P.S. Another little tidbit: I was able to get the Yo-Yo to occur all the way up to 6,000 RPM yesterday (in 2nd gear) This blows out of the water the previous myth that the Yo-Yo only occured below 4k RPM. It was still part throttle, and since the power and subsequent quickness of RPM change, the Yo-Yo is more like one or two oscillations before the engine loading and throttle angle would be out of the "sweet spot" for the Yo-Yo to occur.

Old 03-14-2004, 04:54 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
>>{snip} My Break-point seems to be the opposite of Koopah's; it's most noticeable when I slowly push the pedal down. The closer I get to the floor, suddenly, the computer will decide at a certain point to snap open to WOT! {snip}

Ryan,

I'll give it another try to replicate your experience with the break-point issue. I assume that you noticed this with Ryephix #1 installed? If not, I'll change back and try to replicate it.

Have you noticed the deceleration-accelleration break-point effect or is it just me?

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
The Break-point is easier to notice with either Ryephix, because you don't have the Yo-Yo acting as noise to mask it.

I think your transition snap effect is normal; the engine will transition quicker with no bypass valve, subsequently it will also be more abrupt (as you indicate). None of the Yo-Yo issues I've talked about to date occur during accel/decel transition, or during gear changes - only during acceleration.

I hope that helps clarify

Old 03-15-2004, 05:21 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
>>The Break-point is easier to notice with either Ryephix, because you don't have the Yo-Yo acting as noise to mask it.
>>
>>I think your transition snap effect is normal; the engine will transition quicker with no bypass valve, subsequently it will also be more abrupt (as you indicate). None of the Yo-Yo issues I've talked about to date occur during accel/decel transition, or during gear changes - only during acceleration.
>>
>>I hope that helps clarify

Indeed it does. I'll be doing a recon for the MINIs onTop route to NH tomorrow and will have plenty of time to try to replicate the break-point. Glad that the decel/accel "snap" appears normal.

Thanks, Ryan

Old 03-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Dustin07
Neutral
I dont know if i'm actually contributing... but My newer Chev has a similar break-point to what you are describing Koopah, and it seems very normal. If it's anything like what mine does i wouldn't worry. On the e-gas type setups i notice is mostly if you give it a heavy does of fuel after or during decel. if you gradually increase i don't think it will bother you as much...

but then again, what fun is a gradual throttle increase?

Old 03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Thanks for the insight Dustin07!

agokart and I put my Ryephix #2 back on today - whew, I forgot how SMOOOOVE it is to drive with no Yo-Yo! I want to wind up a new spring that was of "moderate" stiffness; stiffer than the #2, but not as soft as stock. This would be to try to bring back more of the fuel economy without going so far as to bring back the Yo-Yo.

dealership - no call back despite voice mail. I heard rumors that I am "actually" banned from the place. Looks like I'll be calling MINIUSA tomorrow and filing yet another complaint towards Motor City MINI. I would enjoy working with Classic MINI, as they are kind and informed, however the 3-hour drive is painful.

Yo-Yo Free yet again
Ryan

Old 03-16-2004, 06:24 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Banned" ?!?! Now THAT'S something to be proud of! Sounds like the staff of MCM has their collective head planted somewhere very dark. I work at a Nissan Dealer, and if any of the Service Advisors ever acted like yours did, they'd be SO fired! Two words: Customer Service. Make that call to MINIUSA !!
Good Luck!!
Jim

Old 03-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Jim - It wasn't the Service Advisor that lashed out against me, it was the Service Manager! The Advisors have a much better feel for reality that the Manager, apparently.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Tokio
2nd Gear
After being told on the phone by the mechanic at my local service center that he was readily able to produce the yoyo in my car but was much worse in others, I was surprised (ok, may be not really) to see that on the service report he had written that he was "unable to replicate customer stated problem".

I stood my ground and demanded the report reflect what the he told me before I picked up the car. They threatened to call the police and I have been banned.

There is no warranty on these POS cars!

BMW CRAP!

The lies and deceit from BMW go way beyond any of the joy this car ever gave me and it is being LEMONED!

If anyone were to ask me about buying BMW I would strongly advise them against it.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I wonder if this is a corporate policy: "Ban anyone from the dealership that demands competent service"?

oooh wee! Doesn't it smell all Lemon fresh in here, lol.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:05 PM
sambusik
6th Gear
You did the right thing, it's no use unless you have it documented.

Quick Reply: The Yo-Yo Chronicles