Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Yo-Yo Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 07:18 AM
Minimoto
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am wiling to join a class action suit.

I'm sick of the BS that BMW is spewing. I don't believe that they do have a fix coming. I'm sick of driving a car with poor daily driving characteristics - I can't drive "full out" all the time and the yo-yo in my car is significant enough that driving in stop-and-go traffic is miserable - it's even made passengers puke.

Many lemon laws state that a defect only has to harm the resale value of the car; we ought to focus onthat rather than safety. We ought to be pushing the word out via the media: 1) that the problem exists for many, and 2) that BMW is encouraging dealerships to obfuscate the facts. If we can get the print and TV media discussing the problem, it is much more diffiult for BMW to ignore the issue - because it will begin to affect their bottom line and their consumer corporate image.

Let's be an ingrown hair on the tush of BMW! :evil:

Old 03-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Xanthus2523
Neutral
Well, why not document all the problems with the Mini so far, windshields, yo-yo, stumble, etc and send it to a news organization. Like Dateline or something like that. They love jumping all over crummy car manucactures. Especially ones that DON'T fix the problem and say its "user error/fault/etc".

There is alot to be said about Mini's corperate methods. I personally do not own a Mini, however I use the internet to inform myself about buying decisions. I have been looking at several different import sedans, and I would love to own a Mini, but, my 25,000.00 is a waste if the company I purchased it from won't back their product. Especially if there IS a design fault on their part. Thats not fair to the consumers.

My family nor I have ever had problems with a domestic dealer. We mostly buy Chevrolet, Ford, and now Dodge. None of these companies have caused use problems like Mini has with other consumers. Thats not acceptible in any form. We have also had our vehicles in for service/warranty work and have we have never gotten the run around. They fixed it, period, case close, happy customer.

Mini seriously needs to get their act together, especially with this wide spread "word of mouth" tool called the internet around. Its a shame to see you folks havign so much trouble with your dealers. Anyways, sorry for the OT.

Old 03-20-2004, 02:25 PM
FloridaChris
1st Gear
OK, add me to the yo-yo list. Feb 04 build with the JCW package installed...so much for hoping the Works package would be immune.

TD83472

Old 03-21-2004, 01:06 PM
OpusMini
4th Gear
>>I am on the thought train that it is related to the supercharger bypass valve!

Has anyone done the Fletch joke about ball bearings and Quaker State yet?

Old 03-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
--->MINIMoto - could you look into how we go about a Class Action?

--->Xanthus2523 - not OT! Your comparison is relevant, and only shows that MINI has lots of work to do if they plan on staying successful

--->FloridaChris -

Old 03-22-2004, 08:01 AM
OpusMini
4th Gear

>>--->teldon - haven't heard of that joke, do tell!

Fletch (Chevy Chase) is impersonating an airline mechanic and the real mechanics who were expecting a mechanic to come help them asks him to assess a problem with a jet. They tell him they think it's the bypass valve. He orders ball bearings. They understanably act confused.

Fletch: "Ah, come on guys it's so simple! Maybe you need a refresher course - it's all ball-bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that fetzer valve with some Three-In-One oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need about ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No... no make that Quaker State."

Kinda loses a little out of context, but in the film it's hilarious.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:27 AM
gravedgr
4th Gear
Sorry to hear of all the problems you guys are having (another roadblock to visiting the dealer and placing my order). I'm not sure how familiar you guys are with the E46 S54 engine debacle (M3's), but the amount of public pressure and mounting evidence (thanks to the Internet, for once) finally caused BMW to cave in and admit to the problem.

If you have never been HERE, please go check it out. Don't give in - keep the pressure up!

Doug

Old 03-22-2004, 10:16 AM
dgibbphoto
2nd Gear
Well, just called my SA in Portland, OR. She told me that the yo-yo is a known issue and software version 37 will be out in 30 days. This should take care of the issue. She said that there are small surges to the throttle body valve that cause this and is effected by multiple conditions, humidity, etc. Hope this is the solution.

Old 03-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>Well, just called my SA in Portland, OR. She told me that the yo-yo is a known issue and software version 37 will be out in 30 days. This should take care of the issue. She said that there are small surges to the throttle body valve that cause this and is effected by multiple conditions, humidity, etc. Hope this is the solution.
>>

Interesting...

A software-based Phix! Now that's a step in the right direction (if this isn't a bunch of sunshine being blown up our drawers). Can anyone cross check with other SAs?

Theo

Old 03-22-2004, 01:36 PM
countrym
6th Gear
I'm with MINIUSA. We're really sorry to hear about your problems. Really. We really really are. Now bug off. :evil:

Old 03-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Tokio
2nd Gear
>>Well, just called my SA in Portland, OR. She told me that the yo-yo is a known issue and software version 37 will be out in 30 days. This should take care of the issue. She said that there are small surges to the throttle body valve that cause this and is effected by multiple conditions, humidity, etc. Hope this is the solution.
>>

A software fix for a software problem -
That we told you after we sold you
Hopefully might "soon" one day exist.
That not every car has??
That doesn't exist???
But we tried to fix it 6 times????
This characteristic of MINI,
That we can not replicate
That was surposed to be fixed by V36?????

Please trust us and wait for V37??????
Something might happen
You never know what -
BS BMW can come up with next.

Duh..... OK

"You know too much. Now you must leave or we're calling the police."

Did someone say BMW??? - sounds like Dr. Suess NEVER again.

If they weren't breaking the law (knowingly selling bad product without remedy) and playing with peoples lives and hard earned cash, this really would be hilarious.

Just a very small portion of my experience with BMW and their famous MINI.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
--->Tokio, I really fell for you - of course you know that I've gone through similar dealership stupidity, which is aggravating at the least.

I'm crossing my fingers that dgibbphoto's leaked information is something close to accurate!

>>Well, just called my SA in Portland, OR. She told me that the yo-yo is a known issue and software version 37 will be out in 30 days. This should take care of the issue. She said that there are small surges to the throttle body valve that cause this and is [a]ffected by multiple conditions, humidity, etc. Hope this is the solution.
>>

On that note, my break-point was really nasty today. The relative humidity was very low compared to normal. Coincidence?

Old 03-22-2004, 09:29 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Here's a wav of the scene OpusMini is talking about

Fletch's Ball Bearing Phix

Old 03-23-2004, 07:03 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
whew! took me some time, but I just read this entire thread.As one who has had to deal with MiniUSA at it's worst and best, over the issue of my SIX windshields,here are some thoughts.Ryan ,you are awesome ,man.Really,your tenacity in dealing with ALL aspects of this problem are truly inspiring.There must be some lawyers who are members of this community who would be willing to come to the aid of the folks who have registered their VIN's ??Another avenue which was aluded to here are the "buyer beware" segments of local and yes National news shows .In the Boston area these are hosted by Hank Phillipe-Ryan(Lady!) ,and Susan Wornac ,but there is also 20/20 nationally.At the last replacement of my windshield ,I casually mentioned that my car seems to die on take-off,and got the v36 upgrade.If I hadn't said anything ,they would not have offered the info.My clock now reads in 24 hour time, but the stumble is gone.
I was a service manager in a bicycle store for 13 years.If I had even hinted that someone's disatifaction with service somehow justified banning this person for life ,I would have been SOOOOO fired so fast!
In light of my glass issues ,I can't tell you how happy I am that I don't have this yo yo issue (yet

Old 03-23-2004, 09:21 AM
AmRov
1st Gear
I also finally made it through this thread (skimming at times to get to Ryephile's comments). From what I gather, in summary, Ryephile has concluded (and proved in practice) that the problem is tied to both a bypass valve problem, and also some issues with the ECU. MINIUSA is well aware of the problem, but is being very coy -- although apparently is now hinting about a "fix" that will be released sometime in mid-April. (Software v.37?)

I have a January '04 build, and I do experience the yo-yo, but it's not terrible. Definitely not worth a Lemon claim, but I am looking forward to a fix. Other January '04 builds have also experienced the yo-yo, so it's not gone. Glad to hear at least a rumor that BMW is doing something.

Sorry to hear these stories of crummy dealership service treatment. I have yet to go in (knock wood), but I hope to be treated better than that! Banned, sheesh.

Please keep the updates coming!

Thanks all...

Old 03-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
No updates on the Yo-Yo front.

However, I have been corresponding with MINIUSA about both working on improving the dealership service department, as well as making the MINIDivision webcrawler Bot more useful for us and not so cookie cutter.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
dirty little secret:
I had an insider tell me that V37 was scrapped recently, and V38 will be released in less than a month. Time will tell, however I would love to see MINIUSA release this software prior to The Dragon. They can expect big time praise and spreading of the good word if they can pull it off.

Motor-on,
Ryan

Old 03-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>dirty little secret:
>>I had an insider tell me that V37 was scrapped recently, and V38 will be released in less than a month. Time will tell, however I would love to see MINIUSA release this software prior to The Dragon. They can expect big time praise and spreading of the good word if they can pull it off.
>>
>>Motor-on,
>>Ryan

Thanks for sharing this, Ryan.

"You can catch more flies with honey..."

Theo

Old 03-30-2004, 09:13 PM
efcmini
4th Gear
Hey guys, I don't mean to be a pain in the rear. I've been keeping up with all of this thread for ages, but I must have skipped a page or something. What's the difference between Ryephix #1 and #2? I had one of them (zip tie) on before I went in for the 10K oil change and ecu reflash and was going to re-tie in the next day or so but I want the latest Ryephix. On that note, Ryan, do you plan on having as many versions of Ryephix's as Mini has versions of their ecu? I mean they're talking about version 38 coming out and you're only in single digits?! Get on with it man!

Anybody have any input as to what happened to the yo yo after having Powerchip installed?

Ken

Old 03-31-2004, 07:20 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Ken - here are your answers!

Difference between Ryephix #1 and #2. #1 is the zip-tie method. #2 is the stiffer return spring inside the bypass valve. #2 is way more tedious to do, however does bring back some of the fuel economy lost with Ryephix #1.

NO, I do not plan on having as many iterations of Ryephix as MINI has ECU versions! It would be a full time job trying to smoke up dumb new ideas on how to screw up perfectly good phix's, lol.

Powerchips mapping had no effect on the Yo-Yo. GunmetalSRacer has noted that the effect seemed to have been diminished with his AmD One-Click, though not eliminated. This is because AmD remaps the throttle more aggressively than Powerchips.

Cheers!
Ryan

Old 03-31-2004, 08:55 PM
efcmini
4th Gear
Thanks for the reply Ryan. I have no idea if I did phix #1 or #2. I know my mileage was worse after I tied off. But still don't know which one I did.

I know I looked at pictures on here and did my tie based on that. Any idea what page on this thread?

Oh...and I got the Powerchip installed yesterday that's why I asked about it. So it sounds like I need to tie off again if it doesn't help the Yo Yo. Funny thing is I asked the guy at Powerchip if it fixed the Yo Yo and I got one of those "eyes down and look away" looks. I knew it was a "No". I didn't even listen to his reply.

Nice ride home though.

Ken

Old 04-01-2004, 07:09 PM
mmanasas
1st Gear
The Yo-Yo returns or: Alas the Yo-Yo, I know it well.

Being the optimist that I am, I just threw my summer wheels back on my MCS. I had enjoyed several months of Yo-Yo free driving, assumably due to the lighter winter wheels - I'm running narrow steel rimmed 15" wheels as winter tires and heavy factory rim run flats as summer tires.

At first all was well. I didn't notice any Yo-Yo. For about 50 miles all seemed good. I have recently begun to notice it creeping back into the algorithm though.....

So - Ryphile, while I am amazed at your ability to track down a fix for this issue, I think somehow you have found a way AROUND the problem. My experience leads me to believe it is something in the torque feedback system that is amplified with heavier wheels / tires. I'm not sure how your fix compensates for this, but I guess it does.

As we all are hoping, I'm waiting for that magical software fix that MINI is going to SOON release that will fix this.

Just my 2 cents, in the hope of adding another point of data to the deductions.

cheers,
Mark

Old 04-03-2004, 05:38 AM
C4
Banned
>>dirty little secret:
>>I had an insider tell me that V37 was scrapped recently, and V38 will be released in less than a month. Time will tell, however I would love to see MINIUSA release this software prior to The Dragon. They can expect big time praise and spreading of the good word if they can pull it off.
>>
>>Motor-on,
>>Ryan

Ryan:

Have you heard any more news about v38? Aside from the yo-yo what other fixes it is expected to address?

I read with worry about some owners here that had v36 flashed and claim to have the Stumble creeping back again in recent weeks!

Old 04-03-2004, 07:04 AM
emerika
2nd Gear
So... I ordered my MCS back in January. After that I discovered The Yo-Yo Chronicles. Of course it concerned me, but not enough to stop me; I just hoped for the best. I got my Mini about three weeks ago and was quite happy that there was no yo-yo. hmmmm

For about a week now, I have felt the yo-yo creeping in. At first I only seemed to notice after it happened and then I thought it was my imagination... that or I somehow caused it. And it was really hard to reproduce. Durning the last week it happens more and more and I can pretty much reproduce it when I want, but not always. :???: Once in awhile it's quite dramatic.

For me it usually is worst in second gear and anywhere from 2500 RPM to as high as 3500 though generally more like 3000 RPM. I have felt it in third gear, but only a couple times and it's not very noticable.

At the rate this is getting worse I am really concerned. Is there any point taking it to the dealer now? I sort of wonder if I should just wait until v38 comes out in order to save some aggravation.

thoughts?

emerika

Old 04-03-2004, 07:26 AM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
I just had my Throttle Body (elektronischer Drosselkörper or EDK as BMW refers to it) replaced to fix a severe rough idle/stalling problem that I've had for a couple months. Prior to this, I had moderate to severe yo-yo at ~3000 RPM, which was made extremely easy to notice and hear due to a ALTA intake. Anyway, got the car back on Thursday with the new TB installed. The yo-yo has apparently vanished. I have a feeling that it is a "learned behavior" and it will come back eventually, but it just makes me wonder if there's something related to the TB position sensor that's influencing the problem. The problem with my TB was that it kept throwing a P1229 DTC code, saying that the Throttle Position Sensor adaptation was failing. The dealership's first repair was to replace the wiring harness, 2nd try was to flash with V36. The TB replacement was the 3rd attempt to fix this problem. So far so good, I put about 300 miles on the car yesterday and no hint of rough idle or stalling.

I haven't tried any of the Ryephixes yet, but if it comes back I'm likely to try #1.

Quick Reply: The Yo-Yo Chronicles