Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Yo-Yo Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:08 AM
efcmini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>I haven't tried any of the Ryephixes yet, but if it comes back I'm likely to try #1.
>>

I'm still waiting to know what the difference is between #1 and #2. Are you guys gonna make me read through the entire thread again?

Ken

Old 04-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Pound
1st Gear
Ken,

Ryan answered this for you right after you asked it....

"Ken - here are your answers!

Difference between Ryephix #1 and #2. #1 is the zip-tie method. #2 is the stiffer return spring inside the bypass valve. #2 is way more tedious to do, however does bring back some of the fuel economy lost with Ryephix #1.

NO, I do not plan on having as many iterations of Ryephix as MINI has ECU versions! It would be a full time job trying to smoke up dumb new ideas on how to screw up perfectly good phix's, lol.

Powerchips mapping had no effect on the Yo-Yo. GunmetalSRacer has noted that the effect seemed to have been diminished with his AmD One-Click, though not eliminated. This is because AmD remaps the throttle more aggressively than Powerchips.

Cheers!
Ryan"

cheers
pound

Old 04-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
---> BigBrownDog - I've also tried swaping throttle bodies, to no effect on the Yo-Yo. Perhaps either of our findings could be flukes, or I could've also tested a fellow yo-yo'ing throttle body. I kinda ruled out the throttle body being a major player after finding the bypass valve was a major culprit. MINIUSA has hinted that the Yo-Yo Fix will NOT be hardware, and that confirms the V38 rumor, though only time will tell. (T-minus 2 weeks now?)

until then, Motor-On

Old 04-05-2004, 02:53 PM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
10/04 MCS CR/B with mild Yo-yo

I just spoke with my SA at Rasmussen in Portland. She said that the new software upgrade hit the dealership TODAY!!! For the heck of it, I asked her what version it was - she claimed it was V.37. Head for your dealers, boys and girls!

Old 04-05-2004, 03:52 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
This had better not be a joke!

....You have won a Million dollars!...A trip to Hawii!...A new car!....Just write down your bank account # and social security # for verification......

Did the SA say anything regarding if this a 'fix' for the Yo-Yo, or just a V.37 improvement of the V36.4-3-A/B software which is .1 better? Just my .02.

Seems like they are releasing more code than Microsoft! :smile:

Old 04-05-2004, 05:11 PM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
Aye-aye, commander. Motoring in progress....

I've got over 400 miles on the new TB, and not a yo in sight. I don't really understand much about the "learning" capabilities of the ECU (other than short and long term fuel trim) so if you have any specifics you know about, I'd be interested in it's cognitive abilities

Old 04-05-2004, 06:01 PM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
Fishey,
No, it's not a joke. The SA didn't give me alot of details about the upgrade version, but she said it arrived today and they were busily putting it into their computers. And yes, this is what my dealer is prescribing for my Yo-yo. Of course, we'll all have wait and see if it really works. I really hope it does because I've been putting off doing any mods until this Yo-yo thing is actually resolved - so I can drive even faster. I am unfortunately leaving town for the rest of this week so I won't be able to have it installed til next week....TORTURE! I will let you know how it works out for me, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Did you mean what you said about the new car? Cheers, Brian

Old 04-05-2004, 10:50 PM
baggins
1st Gear

>>I just spoke with my SA at Rasmussen in Portland. She said that the new software upgrade hit the dealership TODAY!!! For the heck of it, I asked her what version it was - she claimed it was V.37. Head for your dealers, boys and girls!<<

Bummer! I just had my 10K service at Rasmussen today, and I even asked the SA about the new software and she said it was "coming soon." Must have been before the package arrived. She has always acknowledged the yo-yo, and told me several times since I 1st mentioned it to keep checking back to see if the newer versions fixed it yet. I'll definitely be calling tomorrow. V.36 minimized the yo-yo, but didn't get rid of it. The SA said the reason that it takes so long to get new software out is that it has to be checked out with all 50 states' DEQ since emissions checks are now done by plugging in to the OBEII port. She also explained that the yo-yo had to something to do with current resistance at certain rpms. Not being very savvy in these things, I didn't exactly follow the explaination very well.

I must say I have been extremely happy with Rasmussen's service department, which makes it easier to be patient with BMW taking so long to fix this crap!

2003 MCS with yo-yo, TD58934, Sept 02 build

Old 04-06-2004, 04:46 PM
elenex
1st Gear
I'm scheduled to get my v.37 upgrade on thursday at Mini of North Scottsdale (AZ). Haven't noticed a yo-yo issue on my 01/04 build mini cooper s, but figured i might as well get the upgrade done while i'm getting an annoying rattle fixed.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Rasmussuen MINI and MINI of North Scottsdale both have V37?!
Looks like I'll be talking to my contact at MINIUSA tomorrow to see why I don't already have this software on my car!

Old 04-06-2004, 10:50 PM
baggins
1st Gear
I confirmed with the SA at Rasmussen today that they have V.37. She recommended waiting until they had tested int on a few other cars first. I've got to wait a little while anyway for the side marker light to come in that randomly fell off today

Old 04-08-2004, 12:33 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
I've got about 35 miles on the v.37 code and so far so good. I spent much of that drive trying to get it to yo-yo and either it was not there anymore or the car was in a good mood today. My yo-yo has never been that bad, so it is possible that today was just a no-yo-yo day. More time will tell.

If I remember correctly some people had good juck with v.36 right after the upgrade, but the yo-yo came back after some miles, possibly due to the adaptive stuff in the computer. Can anyone say from experience how long it would take for the yo-yo to come back?

Some other observations:

- The car is alot smoother off the line. It had a tendancy to bog down if you tried to get going in a hurry, and that problem is reduced, but not completely eliminated. Could that have been the stumble? I have a 12/03 build car which I figured already had v.36 on it, which I thought fixed the stumble.

- The transition from zero throttle to some throttle is a little choppy unless you do it _very_ slowly. I don't recall if this was happening before the upgrade or not.

-

Old 04-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I left a message with my MINIUSA contact today. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon!

--->early_apex - Thanks for sharing your new V37 experience. The part-throttle transitioning seems to be similar with V36, though it's nice to hear the car feels smoother overall. On how long it takes the Yo-Yo to "come back". I've found it's anywhere from immediate, to 50k from now

Old 04-13-2004, 06:48 AM
jgregga
1st Gear
Any news? I've had my MCS for 1 week now, and I think I'm starting to feel the slightest bit of yo-yo in 2nd gear from time to time. For now, I'm thankful that it's very slight--not enough to complain about yet. But I'm interested in news about the fix. Is V37 still holding up?

Old 04-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
OK, I called Classic MINI. They've had V37 for about a week now, but they didn't know if it was supposed to fix anything. Fellow member synergy1 did some homework for us, and this is what he PM'd me with:
I reached Mark at John Roberts here in Dallas. He was told that V37 is software for the convertible. He and his staff are unable to confirm that MINI is even working on a solution [for the Yo-Yo]...
Thanks synergy1! Looks like V38 is going to be the software version we need for the Yo-Yo. Hopefully within the next few weeks we'll get more info from MINIUSA.

Motor-On,
Ryan

Old 04-13-2004, 09:14 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
I've got about 300 miles on V37. The yo-yo was fixed immediately after the upgrade, but there have been a few times where I thought it came back just a little. Each time it was very very minor and I couldn't reproduce it when I tried, so I'm not sure what to think at this point.

The MA at Rasmussen was under the impression that the yo-yo and cold starting should be improved with V37. So far both are better than they were, but the jury is still out on the yo-yo.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Tokio
2nd Gear
Thought you may all like to know that I have just been awarded LEMON status on my Cooper S. The Florida Lemon Law Board deemed that the YoYo is a substantial impairment to the value of the car and awarded me a refund less the statutory mileage offset calculation.

This was my second hearing - I had a pulley on the car before and BMW tried to cloud the issue with that modification - which we all and they know has nothing to do with the yoyo.

Take that BMW

I suggest you all do the same if you are not happy with your car YoYoing. BMW are just buying time with all their software available soon carp. Sooner or later your warranty will run out.

NO fix = No Warranty

Old 04-14-2004, 11:37 AM
atn57
4th Gear
Tokio,

how long did it take to lemon your car? Did the Lawyer cost much?

thanks

tony

Old 04-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Tokio
2nd Gear
>>Tokio,
>>
>> how long did it take to lemon your car? Did the Lawyer cost much?
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>tony

Tony,

I acted on my own behalf - no lawyer involved on my part - Lemon Law is set up for the consumer and the hearings are quite informal. Just make sure you have all your paper work in order. 3 + 1 service reports for the same condition. Follow the Lemon Law guide book supplied with your car.

From the time of my final repair attempt it took 3 - 4 months.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:47 AM
atn57
4th Gear
Thanks Tokio,

I have an 1/04 build mcs. I do have the yo-yo effect but it is minor. But I am considering to lemon it if the v38 doesn't fix it.

Again thanks

tony

Old 04-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Big Update!
I spoke to MINIUSA today, and they were very helpful in answering our latest questions. Turns out CD-37 has nothing to do with the MINI, but has updates for other BMW-brand models. This was the first I've heard that the CD is a company-wide product. This would indicate that not every CD indicates a software update for the MINI.
What about a fix for the Yo-Yo? Well, the planned release date was "end of March", however that hasn't happened. Turns out the release has been pushed back to "end of April". BMW/MINI has to wait for the EPA to finish up emissions certification and the like for "the fix" before it can be released.

Hold on tight, only two more weeks!
Cheers,
Ryan

Old 04-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Tokio
2nd Gear
Ryan,

I hate to say it but I've heard it all before and for a very long time.

I hope they do get you fixed but I have serious doubts.

Good luck with waiting again.

Old 04-15-2004, 05:45 AM
jgregga
1st Gear
Ryan,
Did they indicate what the fix consisted of? It would be nice to know if they are fixing something that you think will be a real solution. Did they mention the throttle overshoot?

Old 04-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I can't "confirm it", but it looks like it'll be new software (aka the V38 rumor). If done right, new software should fix the problem. They've alread hinted repeatedly that the fix wouldn't be hardware (i.e. Ryephix #2), because it would negatively impact the fuel economy.

Old 04-15-2004, 08:57 AM
HiredGuns
1st Gear
Okay, Now I’m very concerned, I have read about 80% of what’s been written on this subject “yo-yo effect” I am to take delivery on my “new” mcs May 1st. After reading all this the last thing I want is this yo yo lurking around n my new 25,000,00 car. This may push me towards taking the loss of the deposit. I have always felt better to cut your losses than to deal with someone that doesn’t want to deal. Mini (BMW) R U Listening? So far from what I’ve read, you’re not!

Quick Reply: The Yo-Yo Chronicles