Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Yo-Yo Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 04:08 AM
C4
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find the operation of the cruise control of my MCS pretty annoying with V36. The car is due up for its very first 10K oil change very soon and would like to know if V38 is already available at the dealers.

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:25 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Cooper4us
I find the operation of the cruise control of my MCS pretty annoying with V36. The car is due up for its very first 10K oil change very soon and would like to know if V38 is already available at the dealers.

Thanks.
I was at my dealer yesterday (MINI of Peabody, Mass) who is one of the top dealers in the country....and no v.38. They were promised "late June", so maybe June 35th or something?

I would guess it will be in a short time...call your dealer/service mgr.

Old 06-30-2004, 05:44 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V.38 Download

Based on some information I have received (not verified, however), this update is transmitted "on demand" to the dealer network via the MINI VPN/extranet. However, the dealer needs to keep their computer on network to receive the download.

My understanding is that this is at least a partially automated process and is centralized (at MINIUSA) in design. Thus, if V.38 is available to one dealer, all dealers should have access. When I asked my contact if there is a "priority basis" to the distribution scheme, the response was negative. When asked about the higher rated (CSI) dealerships getting first "dibs", the response was negative.

I do know of at least one person that has been updated within the last week at his/her MINI dealer; not the "Jersey-ECU" method. Thus, if the information in the above paragraphs is correct and we have at least one person who has received the update at the dealer, then V.38 should be available to all dealerships at this time.

It may be worth another call to MINI of Peabody (an excellent dealership, BTW) to have them check the MINIUSA network once more.

FWIW,

Theo 8^)

Old 06-30-2004, 12:46 PM
mczinn
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
method to duplicate yo-yo consistantly?

Hi there. Can anyone give me directions on how to duplicate the yo-yo consistantly? I am taking my car in tomorrow to be looked at and all of a sudden I can't make my car yo-yo. Of course. Murphy's law. The more detailed the description the more it will help me.

The folks at the service department said that they will only do the upgrade if they can duplicate the problem. Unfortunately, I won't be able to duplicate it for them (long story) so I want to write detailed directions.

Thanks!

Last edited by mczinn; 06-30-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mczinn
Hi there. Can anyone give me directions on how to duplicate the yo-yo consistantly? I am taking my car in tomorrow to be looked at and all of a sudden I can't make my car yo-yo. Of course. Murphy's law. The more detailed the description the more it will help me.

The folks at the service department said that they will only do the upgrade if they can duplicate the problem. Unfortunately, I won't be able to duplicate it for them (long story) so I want to write detailed directions.

Thanks!
I used to be able to get my 04 MCS to reliably yo-yo in a mid-throttle, second gear acceleration (3,000 to 4,000 rpm range), with a passenger. It usually worked without a passenger but I believe the extra weight made it more pronounced.

I know there's a long story, but I would emphatically urge you to reschedule the appointment for a time when you and the technician can go for a ride together. That way there is no question about it and the Service Department will not be able to say "could not duplicate the problem".

Please carefully consider rescheduling,

Theo 8^)

Old 06-30-2004, 01:11 PM
mczinn
1st Gear
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I can't reschedule (more long story), but that isn't the only thing my car is being seen for so I will take it anyway. Maybe I will save this for a time when I can demonstrate. Or is there any harm in reporting it and letting them try? The worst thing would be that I have to come back again, right? They should be able to duplicate the cruise control problem, but I don't know if they will find that a good enough reason to upgrade.

Last edited by mczinn; 06-30-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:19 PM
CoryB
3rd Gear
On my 04, 25mph in 2nd gear is exactly 3000 rpm. Do that and I have a noticable yo-yo.

I yo-yo down my street every morning and afternoon.

Old 06-30-2004, 01:42 PM
mczinn
1st Gear
Anyone know what kind of documentation the dealer gets when downloading the new software versions? Do you know if the cruise control fix is in the list of items that the software is supposed to fix? I may be able to get my dealer to install v38 software just to fix the cruise control and not even mention the yo-yo. But this will only work if the cruise control fix is documented.

Thanks again!
mczinn

Last edited by mczinn; 06-30-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:45 PM
dotBob
Coordinator :: Houston MINI Motoring Society
Anyone know what kind of documentation the dealer gets when downloading the new software versions? Do you know if the cruise control fix is in the list of items that the software is supposed to fix? I may be able to get my dealer to install v38 software just to fix the cruise control and not even mention the yo-yo. But this will only work if the cruise control fix is documented.

Thanks again!
mczinn
My SA didn't know anything about the cruise control issue at all. Past or present. Of course, MINI of The Woodlands is a new dealership, so they haven't heard all of the old gripes yet.

I just had v38 installed this morning. Initial results: smoother take-off in 1st gear, and no yo-yo! So far. I'll have to put a couple tanks of gas through Sylvestre ('04 MCS) before making a final declaration of no-mo-yo-yo.

1st gear doesn't seem quite as tall any more. IE, I hadn't realized that 1st gear had the yo-yo until after v38 smoothed it out. I had been giving extra gas in 1st to smooth out the transition to 2nd. That's not necessary now. I'll have to take the back roads home to see if v38 affected anything else (positively or negatively) - especially the rate at which the accelerator is pressed..

Last edited by dotBob; 06-30-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 AM
mczinn
1st Gear
So we took the car in this morning and the service advisor insisted that v38 did not fix the cruise control. He said that they had already loaded it on lots of cars and it doesn't fix the cruise control So he won't load it for that reason. Argggg! How do we convince them that it fixes the cruise control?????

Old 07-01-2004, 09:23 AM
dotBob
I think the magic word they're listening for is "yo-yo".

Old 07-01-2004, 09:29 AM
mczinn
1st Gear
Yeah, I told them about that too. And gave them very very detailed directions on how to reproduce on my car. But since I couldn't be with them to duplicate it, I am sure I will need to go back for round two.

I just wanted to let people know about the cruise control thing because I know some people want the software just to fix that.

Plus, I was hoping that if they couldn't reproduce the yo-yo, that they would load 38 anyway for the cruise.

And, BTW, this dealer is the most experienced dealer in the Bay Area. So if they don't think it fixes the cruise, most other dealerships probably don't think so either.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
{snip} He said that they had already loaded it on lots of cars and it doesn't fix the cruise control {snip}
First, v.38 is so new that I seriously doubt that they have "loaded it on lots of cars"! I think they are refering to v.37.

Second, v.38 did correct the cruise control in my 04 MCS and Ryephile's 04 MCS. That is an undeniable fact.

I think your MINI dealership is still not savvy to v.38 and is, instead, thinking that you are "meaning" to refer to v.37...which, in fact, did not do anything to correct the cruise control and has been around long enough for them to have done "lots of cars".

Please remember that the cruise control correction was an "unadvertised" benefit of the v.38 update. Even our contact at MINIUSA did not tell Ryephile and me about it; Ryephile "discovered" it. Therefore, the cruise control correction may not be documented in the v.38 dealer distribution information received from MINIUSA. But surley the yo-yo would be documented as a problem addressed by this update.

Again, I would strongly suggest that your appeal for v.38 be based on the yo-yo, not the cruise control. This will mean that you will need to replicate the yo-yo with a technician in the right seat. Therefore, you will need to be able to reliably replicate the problem and be present when the car is taken in for service.

If you do all of this (replicating the yo-yo) and the dealership still refuses to update you to v.38, you need to have a heart to heart with the Service Manager and the General Manager of the dealership regarding this issue. Ask them to contact the Regional MINIUSA Office for information regarding v.38.

If your appeals to the Management of the dealship fail, I would strongly suggest that you call MINIUSA in Montvale, NJ and speak with the VP of Customer Relations.

Theo 8^)

Last edited by Koopah; 07-01-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:15 AM
mczinn
1st Gear
My dealership just called me. They haven't tried to reproduce the yo-yo yet but were optimisic that they could. He said that is such a common complaint that they are quite familiar with it, know how to produce it and that they have been inundated with people trying to get 38 this week. They are definitely aware that 38 fixes the yo-yo and said as much 3 times. He was very nice about it actually. He still insisted that he didn't know that it fixes the cruise control. But I think your guess is right that it isn't documented. I told them that if they loaded 38 to fix my yo-yo, that I would report back on my cruise control. He kept saying "when we load 38", so I am optimistic and he seemed interesting in hearing if it fixes the cruise control. I think he just didn't want to get my hopes up. Which I can understand if it isn't documented.

No big deal if they can't reproduce the yo-yo by themselves. I will just go back to take a ride with them.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I stoped by a dealership today and even though v38 is out they do not have it yet, and said they got a bulletin to stop uploading due to an error in the program. Not sure if any of this is true, but it is what came out of his mouth. Personally I do not believe too much of what is said other than I am sure they do not have the V38 CD.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by agokart
{snip}...they got a bulletin to stop uploading due to an error in the program. {snip}

YIKES!!!!

Why do I feel like I'm driving a ticking timebomb?

Ryephile -- Whoever's MCS blows up first needs to call the other one!

Seriously though, this may be for the tach lag issue or perhaps a subsequently corrupted source file for the binary copies. Dare I say it might be to correct the dampening algorithm????

Theo 8^)

Last edited by Koopah; 07-01-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:54 PM
mczinn
1st Gear
Yikes! I hope not. My dealer just called and they were able to reproduce the yo-yo (on their own, yay) and they loaded 38. I sure hope there isn't a problem with it!

What is a "subsequently corrupted source file for the binary copies"?

Last edited by mczinn; 07-01-2004 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
{snip} What is a "subsequently corrupted source file for the binary copies"?
Yeah....Did sound rather cryptic, eh what? This time in English....

There is a master version of the ECU software from which copies are either downloaded or burned to CD. I was refering to this master copy of the software. Perhaps in preparing it for the duplication/transmission process, the master software program was damaged.

Sorry!

Theo 8^)

Old 07-01-2004, 02:08 PM
mczinn
1st Gear
Ahh, thanks. He did say upload and not download though

I sure hope it is nothing serious (if true). Any way to confirm? Obviously my dealer wasn't away of any memo if it existed.

Also, how many miles have you all gone now on your 38?

Last edited by mczinn; 07-01-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:41 PM
okeeton
1st Gear
I've been following along on this thread for some time and have the yo-yo effect on my Sept 03 MCS (reproducible between 2200-3500 RPMs in 2nd & 3rd gear prior to ryefix #1). I applied Ryefix #1 (the zip-tie fix - though I didn't remove the connector to the acctuator arm) with good results and subsequently scheduled my 1st service service visit for July 1 in hopes have having v.38 applied... Anticipating such a visit I removed the zip-tie two days earlier and was unsuccessful at reproducing any noticeable yo-yo, and as a result when I went in for service was unable to demonstrate the issue for the service tech ride along.

Does anyone have any insight in terms of how long it takes for the ECU to relearn the yo-yo effect... not complaining if it has in fact gone away/learned good behaviour but somehow I doubt it...?

Curious-

Okeeton

Old 07-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
whooooo boys. take what i said there with a grain of salt since i can not confirm any of the info i posted, it was just what i was told. i feel he told it to me so i would not want it and they would not have to load it on my car. i am sure any dealer that has it and is installing it on cars would have gotten the bulletin and would know all about any problems (if any). so i did not mean to shake up the soda pop and open the can, i just wanted to let you know what i was told and see if anyone else had heard anything like that.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:11 PM
dotBob
I need to verify that I actually have v38 installed. I've noticed a very lessened "yo-yo". I had the AC on, and had been driving for over 30 minutes, so the engine was warm. In 2nd, at moderate acceleration around 2700 to 3000 RPM, I noticed a very brief, slight yo-yo. So slight that if this were the first time feeling the yo-yo, I wouldn't consider it abnormal or a problem. I shifted to 3rd, and immediately noticed the staccato, brief yo-yo - again, so brief and slight that I had to feel it a few more times to confirm that I hadn't imagined it.

Now I'll be searching this site to see if there's a way to check the ECU version via the trip-meter control.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:33 PM
sorsha6
3rd Gear
if they won't upgrade your ecu unless you have a problem (which seems rather silly), tell them you have the cold start problem. i do, and i'm taking mine in the next week or two. it's not something they can duplicate because the car has to be sitting off for 8 hours or so before it won't start on the first time. i go to mahwah mini in nj and they're super nice about any problems i have. they've fixed everything from a loose attatchment in my trunk to replacing the amp... plus i get coffee, hot chocolate or bottled water while waiting! oh and the use of their internet connected computer... and magazines... yay mahwah mini!

Old 07-01-2004, 07:37 PM
olYeller
2nd Gear
to theo

Theo,

to your knowledge, is Peabody pretty good about the software fixes if you complain about yo-yo? i have a 4 hour drive 1 way and don't want to waste my time. my yo-yo isn't bad when i drive normally , but if i slow down or am carrying eggs or buckets of acid or my wife is sleeping or something and accelerate SLOWLY i can feel a bit of yo-yo.

thanks,

Blaine

Old 07-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yuk. Reading this page makes me depressed. MINI Dealerships obviously have NO CLUE what's going on. Are there not meetings and dialog between MINIUSA and their dealerships?

Yeesh

Quick Reply: The Yo-Yo Chronicles