Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Yo-Yo Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 11:32 AM
tme
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tme
I'm coming up on my 10K mile service and I can't decide whether to get the upgrade to V38 or not. I had a terrible yoyo until I applied the cable tie fix, now I have NO yoyo, and better throttle response, and minor (if any) gas mileage reduction (of course I'll snip the ties before it gets to the dealer).

I've read in a couple of places that V38 "fixed 99% of the yoyo" or "almost fixed the yoyo".... The cable tie fixes it 100%.

So I'm wondering, since I'm pretty happy with the cable tie fix. Why should I get the new SW? Is there a compelling reason to get V38, or not to get it?

As a corollary what if I get V38 and then re-apply the cable tie fix anyway?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

And to MINIUSA please don't input your "lawyer post" about "modifications to the vehicle void the warranty"....
Well I finally got my V38 upgrade, and the yoyo seems to be gone, so is the cruise control variability.... BUT now I have the rough idle problem!!!
MINI really should hire someone to write some decent firmware...
the word incompetent comes to mind

Old 08-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
The inconsistency in everyone's findings is bothersome; why is it that some cars have the "rough idle" with some software versions but not others, and others react differently? Is the "adaptive logic", too adaptive, or too sensitive?

Old 08-26-2004, 05:41 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
V38 hasn't entirely eliminated the yo-yo, but now it's slight. Unless I really try for it in 3rd or 4th gear repeatedly, it doesn't bother me.

Cruise control is good, consistently +/- 1MPH. On very steep hills, occassionally -2MPH briefly.

Cold start is worse, tho

Old 08-26-2004, 07:42 AM
dotBob
Coordinator :: Houston MINI Motoring Society
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MTH software seems to have gotten rid of the yo-yo. At least to the point that I don't notice it at all.

I've read that UNIchip's mapping is very dense in the RPM range that the yo-yo occurs, and it seems that MTH's mapping is similar. I've driven two tank-fulls (about 500 miles) since the MTH software install, and have yet to notice the yo-yo. All I feel in that range is torque. And today I even drove very mild mannerdly. [maybe that's where the word "nerd" comes from]

Old 09-01-2004, 08:53 PM
spoonleg
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tme
Well I finally got my V38 upgrade, and the yoyo seems to be gone, so is the cruise control variability.... BUT now I have the rough idle problem!!!
MINI really should hire someone to write some decent firmware...
the word incompetent comes to mind
This is EXACTLY what happened to me! I was so thrilled to zip around town after my v 38.0 upgrade, yo-yo free... then all of a sudden I realized I sounded like an old broken down hoopty when idling at a stop light! I didn't make the connection with the software upgrade until I started snooping around here. What a bummer.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
For what it's worth, my car has the rough-idle problem much less frequent with V38 than V36. More weirdness how our cars are so different behaving

Old 09-05-2004, 07:31 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tme
Thanks for the info.... I know I'm keeping my bypass valve tied up so all the air flows through the supercharger!!!!
Keep in mind that along with lower gas mileage, you'll also be compressing air with the supercharger considerably more often thus lowering the life of the supercharger. I would imagine the effect may be greater than using a smaller pulley (which has even a greater positive effect on throttle response).

Old 09-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
^^^ughk, Greatgro, we've been through this all before...

Old 09-07-2004, 01:16 PM
zfxr
5th Gear
rough idle is back when the car has been sitting for a few days and the outside conditions are very humid... Goes away once it's up to normal operation temp...

Old 09-08-2004, 03:54 PM
PNSCMINI
Neutral
Oh-no more yo-yo

Hi all,

I must admit I am a newbie at this, so if I repeating anyhthing already discussed please excuse my ignorance of not seeing it.

I am the new owner of a 04 MCS, I am to plagued with the infamous yoyo. My car originally had v36, but after 4 trips to the dealer they dropped in v38. I feel it actually made it worse, although the yo yo is not as high reving it is more frequent at idle. I of course took it back and they said they dropped in v38.1, but I think they are shooting me a line of " ".... I was also wondering if dropping a pulley on will make matters worse? And will putting on a pulley really shred the water pump and the sc as fast as some folks say....

Thanks for any input...

Old 09-09-2004, 10:39 AM
HAIGHTD
1st Gear
Yo-Yo is gone, but...

Took my '04CooperS to Assael Mini out here in Pasadena, CA for a second look at my short list of complaints: (1) engine knock; (2) yo-yo; (3) rough shifting trans from 1-2; (4) coolant loss; (5) squeal in window motor. They claimed the engine knock "is normal for '04CooperS models" ; they blew a new software revision v38.x in which appears to have eliminated the yo-yo, but the car idles roughly now and the overall performance seems less responsive; they replaced the entire trans; they put a new cap on the top of my coolant overflow bottle and replaced the driver's side window motor. I give Assael high marks for attentiveness, politeness and willingness to listen, although I do not buy the line about the engine knock. This issue I will have to escalate. In the time since I took the car back, the Mini seems to have developed a problem/noise in the A/C compressor and the entire climate control system went dead for no reason, but then comes back to life a couple of hours after sitting in the parking lot . I believe this car will continue to be problematic (although just a blast to drive!)...I think it would be unwise to keep it a day beyond it's 3 year factory warranty.

Old 09-15-2004, 07:54 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
should I???

I have a YO-YO free '02 MCS. I am currently on v.36. I still continue to have cold start problems on occasion. Should I have my dealer upgrade me?

What are the potential benefits of putting v.38 in an '02 MCS?

What are the potential drawbacks?

Old 09-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
--->biggripper: When it comes to MINI factory software, the ole' saying comes into play "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." V38 won't help your cold-start, so if you're satisfied how it runs, don't mess with it.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
{snip} ...if you're satisfied how it runs, don't mess with it.
What he said...believe me!

Old 09-16-2004, 08:34 PM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
Just turned 10K today

I am going in for my one year (exactly one year from when I picked up my car) service and have requested v38 be installed. I am hoping to rid my MCS of the yo-yo and cruise control +/- 4 mph issues. I will report back soon...

Cross your fingers, I would but it was too hard to keep typing. Hopefully I won't inherit the cold start issues or rough idle problems.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:48 PM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
v38.1 installed today

My first service appointment went well. The service department did an excellent job patiently listening to my concerns and documenting all issues I have experienced in the past year (auto climate control did not turn on one time during the winter but worked after shutting the car off and turning it back on; my rear wiper stopped in mid-swipe two days ago and worked properly after turning the wiper off and then turning it back on; yo-yo issues; cruise control fluctuation; rattle from the boot area).

I am happy to report the cruise control was fixed (at least for now). Worked like a charm for 70+ miles after my appointment with maybe +/- 1 mph. I was impressed.

The yo-yo between 3-4K rpms appears to have been solved, too, with v38.1 (version my advisor verbally said and what is printed on my receipt). Didn't feel a thing during the ride home. Will update if any change occurs. I tried to get it to yo-yo but it wouldn't, thank goodness. Feels so much smoother with no rough idle or cold start issues. However, I only started my car twice since the update. I was stuck in rush hour traffic in Indy with no rough idling.

The rattle in the rear boot was stopped with the installation of a thicker striker. Apparently the striker on my car allowed some movement of the hatch. If you have a rattle, the dealer will fix - at least mine did without any hestitation.

Asked about the operation of rain sensing wipers. If it is raining and I turn the car off with the switch still set to auto mode and then get back in, for the auto wipers to work I have to turn them off and back on for the auto mode. Not so auto in my opinion. Anyone else with this issue? The dealer documented, 'advise customer that this is normal operation - must be reset each time ignition is turned off.' Comments please.

Also asked about programmable options. The dealer did not have a list but called me with a list of 5 options. They said with the v38.1 only 5 options are available. I wanted to program the central locking toggle switch to open the sunroof and windows if held in the up position. Apparently, this is not an option. Any comments?

Overall, quite satisfied with the outcome of my visit. However, one odd thing happened. I asked the dealer not to test drive my car and made it clear to them this was not negociable. I dropped my car off with 10140 miles on the odometer. When I picked up my car, it showed 10138 miles. How in the hell did my car lose 2 miles???? Quite odd and a little suspicious. Trip odometer only showed .1 mile (reset it when I dropped it off). Computer malfunction? Drove it around in reverse? I have no idea.

Steven

Old 09-17-2004, 11:14 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
-2 miles? quite strange indeed!

Old 09-18-2004, 07:06 AM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
i sent an email to miniusa. We'll see if they respond...

Old 09-18-2004, 07:33 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think when they program the ECU, they have to type in the mileage manually. I lost over 80 miles the last time my car was in for ECU issues, I was in for back to back visits (only a day apart), and I believe they used the mileage from the previous day and not for the current day I brought the car in.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:59 AM
mattcoon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SwingMCS03

Asked about the operation of rain sensing wipers. If it is raining and I turn the car off with the switch still set to auto mode and then get back in, for the auto wipers to work I have to turn them off and back on for the auto mode. Not so auto in my opinion. Anyone else with this issue? The dealer documented, 'advise customer that this is normal operation - must be reset each time ignition is turned off.' Comments please.

Steven
This is standard. I thought it wierd at first,too, but after asking other people with this option on other makes, this seems to be typical of this feature. After thinking about it, it makes sense. The sensor works on the delta of the temperature on the windshield. If you turn them on, they assume you want to wipe and look at the delta. If they are left on, they would need to wipe as soon as you started the car, but it probably isn't raining so the calibration would be wrong.

Old 09-19-2004, 01:26 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
SwingMCS03 - Yours is not the first case of "-2 miles" I've read about. Others have had an ECU update & reported the very same thing.

Old 09-19-2004, 01:48 PM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mattcoon
This is standard. I thought it wierd at first,too, but after asking other people with this option on other makes, this seems to be typical of this feature.
When the auto rain sensing wipers were first introduced, people almost always leave it on the auto-sensing position. Guess what happens when the car goes into a car wash. After a few broken wipers (those brushes aren't kind to moving wipers), automakers changed the way rain sensing wipers operate.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:28 PM
PNSCMINI
Neutral
Loss of mileage

I have had my car reprogrammed 4 times by the dealer and I always lose a couple of miles here and there. I just got used to it, I look at it this way it is just 1 or 2 more I can drive to catch up..... lol

Old 09-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Blue Brummie
4th Gear
V.38 comment

Just brought my MINI in for it's first unscheduled service, and although the manager seemed to know exactly what was causing the boot rattle I've developed over the past few months, the thicker striker did nothing.

Although this result is a bit disappointing (especially since I'd already tried the electrical tape fix others have suggested, and quite honestly, I don't think they really tried to find the source of the problem), the service manager at MoP was very positive, and said they'd find and fix the problem. Has anyone else noted any other sources of noise in the boot area (particular in the Left rear side) ??

I know this does not pertain directly to the Yo-Yo problem specifically, but while having my boot rattle looked at, I overheard someone speaking about the V.38 software upgrade, and it seemed they had no improvement with this upgrade. I know this has been mentioned before, but I just thought I'd add another data point.

BB

Old 09-20-2004, 08:32 AM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
If your rain sensing wipers happened to get frozen to the windshield over night, would it not tear the hell out of things if the wipers tried to start automatically when you started the car up next morning?

Quick Reply: The Yo-Yo Chronicles