Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

The Yo-Yo Chronicles

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 04:42 PM
adis_daddy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch!!

And another happy customer. Enjoy your FX35 dude.

Just dropped off the car for some non scheduled service items and was surprised to hear that they are going to install V39.3 primarily for an evaporative cooler, EPA thing. Wasn't looking forward to an ECU upgrade because as I understand it my EVO Tech remap will be overwritten. Does that sound correct?

Anyways, going to be away for the better part of the next week but will post here when I get it back and have a chance to test it out. I'm nervous

Old 10-23-2004, 04:45 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adis_daddy
Anyways, going to be away for the better part of the next week but will post here when I get it back and have a chance to test it out. I'm nervous
Let us know what happens! I got this recall letter in the mail this week but I'm afraid to do it b/c of MINI downloading a new ECU. I have my original early 2003 build software (v 31 or 32 I think) and I never had the cold start issue or the yo-yo or hiccup. So I'm afraid to get this "voluntary" recall.

Old 10-23-2004, 04:55 PM
adis_daddy
2nd Gear
I do have Yo-Yo but it doesn't make me sick. The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is the improved throttle response if that works out the way the SM says it will. I'm seriously concerned over my ECU upgrade and the EVO Tech re-map. I have heard stories about v38 causing problems with the Powerchips program. We'll see.

Old 10-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had V.39 for about 450+ miles now. Plenty of time for the adaptive settings to settle down (and for the "ghosts" to return!).

I still have a slight yo-yo but the annoying off-throttle hiccup seems to be cured! Also, my cold starting and rough idle has yet to return. As far as the regression side of the equation is concerned, cruise control remains steady as fixed in v.38 and first full tank after V.39 yielded 27.5 mpg (calculated method).

We'll see as additional miles are put on the clock, but at this point my worries of a V.39 regression and the introduction of "new ghosts" seem unfounded.

Here's hoping...

Theo

(go SOX! )

Old 11-02-2004, 11:53 AM
GrnGbln
1st Gear
05 Mcs

I just called my dealer and they said that the new '05 MCS are running on V39.1. Any ideas if that version has fixed the problem?

Old 11-02-2004, 02:31 PM
kapps
6th Gear
We got v.39 a week or so ago and it's definitely helped the yo-yo. It's there but not anywhere near as obtrusive. It fixed the cold start problem we had where the A/C idle up would not occur so the engine would try and stall. All and all, I'm happy with the update.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I've heard many people give very positive feedback regarding V39 - I'm very curious to hear from MINIUSA what the code changes are! If the "cold start" is fixed, no doubt they smoothed the calibration for the idle-speed controller and/or the wall-wetting routine, which is great news. I look forward to getting V39 myself!

Old 11-03-2004, 12:40 AM
adis_daddy
2nd Gear
V39.2 Update

Well it's been about 300 miles now and all is good. At times I can feel a tiny bit of what was a YoYo but I never had it real bad to begin with. The car does drive a lot better though. Trottle response is better, smoother. Just more fun to drive, if that's possible.

The one thing that pisses me off is that my EVO Tech software is gone and I don't know what to do to get it back. If I have the ECU reflased again now will it re-install codes that were on the original software and basically undo everything that V39 fixed

Bottom line, V39 is better from my perspective.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Cooperb!
3rd Gear
So if you live in CA, you'll be forced to get V39!

I got a recall notice from MINI USA, 04E-A01, covering possible issues with the DMS software not being able to detect vapour emissions from the gas tank.

Fix is 'lastest software', and if I don't get it done, I cannot re-register the MINI next time round.

Covers 02-04 MINIs.

Other states will get the recall, but in CA I have to have it fixed before I next register the car.

So I have no option but to go with V39.x

Maybe they think they finally have a yo-yo etc etc fix, and they're using the vapour thing as a cover to get the software updates done, without admitting they screwed up......

Any way, booked in for Tuesday so we'll see

Chris.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:05 AM
CooperSS
4th Gear
I had my 04 MCS updated last week for the recall with the V39 software.

I was one of the lucky ones that had no stumble or yo-yo, so I was a little worried about doing anything to screw that up.

Not worry, no problems, if anything the car seems more responsive to throttle inputs and now the cruise control works like it should.

Bill

Old 11-07-2004, 05:31 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
I just got V.3x.xx installed Friday, the dealer (Knauz, Lake bluff, IL) was very uninformative/elusive about their service and software version to be installed. So I am assuming it is whatever the latest version is.

Yo-Yo was terrible, now almost gone, or not bothersome.
Cold start problem, gone
Cruise Control works wonderfully!
Gas mileage improved 2-3 mpg (highway)
It also seems to have better throttle pedal sensitivity, particularly on 1st gear from a stop, it is a better clutch/gas transition. Maybe I really do not know what I am talking about, but it is easier to drive.

Now to get my ecu software back on....

Old 11-07-2004, 06:28 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Did Knauz put an emissions compliance sticker on your MINI (under the hood; mine is above the left wheel arch):

That would confirm V39 ...

Old 11-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Cooperb!
3rd Gear
Just has my V39 install done this morning on recall.

Took off my tie-wrap mod before I took the MCS in for the install.

1st impressions:

Smooth - no yo-yo or surge issues on the throttle

Less instant power than with the tie-wrap mod

So far, no start or idle issues of any kind

Better fuel economy on the way home than on the way there!

So it looks promising. I'll have to drive around a fair bit to be sure

Chris.

Old 11-09-2004, 11:38 AM
rajron
3rd Gear
was it down hill going home?

Old 11-09-2004, 12:50 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Campaign Number: 04E-A01

Originally Posted by Cooperb!
Just has my V39 install done this morning on recall.

Took off my tie-wrap mod before I took the MCS in for the install.

1st impressions:

Smooth - no yo-yo or surge issues on the throttle

Less instant power than with the tie-wrap mod

So far, no start or idle issues of any kind

Better fuel economy on the way home than on the way there!

So it looks promising. I'll have to drive around a fair bit to be sure

Chris.
Was this for Campaign Number: 04E-A01 MINI voluntary emissions recall?
I was going to call and set an appointment today but think I'll wait to see more feed back. Please anyone else with feed/impressions back on this update relating to yoyo, performance, drivability or mileage improvement.
Thanks, norm

Old 11-09-2004, 01:18 PM
adis_daddy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
I was going to call and set an appointment today but think I'll wait to see more feed back. Please anyone else with feed/impressions back on this update relating to yoyo, performance, drivability or mileage improvement.
Thanks, norm
Mine was and so far so good. In fact, as others have commented, I think the car drives better now than it did and I didn't have a particularly bad yo-yo.

The only problem now is my ECU upgrade (EVO Tech) that I'm trying to figure out how to replace without buying a new one.

I don't think there is anything to fear, especially if you haven't got a Powerchip, EVO Tech or any other ECU mod.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Cooperb!
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
Yep, it was the 04E-A01 recall.

No choice but to have it done in CA, or so they lead you to believe.

They give you a form confirming the work has been done, and also put a sticker in the engine bay.

Seeing as I had terrible yo-yo before, so far I'm impressed

Chris.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:33 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
No ECU flash

No ECU flash to confuse the issues here, watching the MTH and Helix though.
What ever happened to the Mods. list on our signatures, I see some have them and mine are gone from my Sig., oh well. The yoyo on my MCS is very slight, I can make it happen anytime or mostly I just drive through it with a little more gas. I just put my 15" wheels on to use up the last of the rubber and haven't noticed it at all.

Old 11-09-2004, 02:32 PM
mikesMINI
2nd Gear

Had version 39.1 flashed in middle of October. Drove the Dragon the next week. Car runs great. No yo-yo no stumble. Great cold starts and even cruise speed. Gas milage is up about 2mpg on highway. This is on 03 mcs built May 03. Car has Alta intake with hose, Borla street exhaust and Alta 15% pulley. I love the new software, no more yo-yo.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:57 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
This thread is all good for the software update

The other thread is not so good, what gives yoyo or not. Keep that feed back coming in.

Last edited by norm03s; 11-11-2004 at 12:03 PM. Reason: text spelling
Old 11-11-2004, 09:24 AM
William Courant
2nd Gear
v39 upgrade

Had the v39 upgrade done last week as part of the recall here in California. I run an 03 MC and can report more low end torque, smoother power onset and vastly improved highway mileage. Near the end of the "voluntary" recall notice is a statement saying that the names of those who do not have the recall done will be turned in to the DMV. How voluntary is that?

Old 12-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
The e-gas overshoot is part of the ECU algorithm, and not affected (albiet can be masked) by any aftermarket mapping. Ditto with the Ryephix2; though it takes a more crowbar approach by closing the BPV very early, at very low engine loads. The Ryephix2 at least gets rid of one of the hiccups in the ECU algorithms (the other being between low and high boost).

The stock BPV may be suffering from vacuum feedback issues, though I haven't proven that yet. This would mean that you could not get rid of the Yo-Yo with the stock BPV, regardless of ECU tuning (that would be the yukkie scenario)

Old 12-11-2004, 10:29 AM
minihopeful
1st Gear
Ryephix #2/2005 MCS

Do the newest MCS's have this same algorithim overshoot/BPV problem? Will I need to invest in the Ryephix #2 when my 2005 MCS rolls off the assembly line sometime in May 2005?

I've been an avid reader/sometime poster of this board since July 2002. I'm going to place my order in February 2005 (have to have the LSD). I know the Siemans computer software has been updated countless times (up to V39.2 aren't they ), but are the new vehicles rolling off the assembly line still having these issues?

Old 12-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
I've only driven one '05 so far, it was the demo at Classic. It did not have the Yo-Yo, but there are a few '05 owners claiming they have it, but I haven't been able to drive their cars yet. The revised gearing might help mask it, ditto with however the ECU is tweaked. There doesn't seem to be a Yo-Yo epidemic like there was with the '04 models.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Skottoman
3rd Gear
Just being curious I tried the zip tie mod to se what it would do. Drove my car and it had no power at all. It was like the supercharger wasn't doing anthing. Took the zip tie off, and the power was back.
I zip tied it just like the instructions in this thread.
???

Quick Reply: The Yo-Yo Chronicles