Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2nd oil pan gasket in 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd oil pan gasket in 6 months

Hi all,
Had the oil pan gasket replaced a few months ago and spotted the same leak in the same place this morning. Again, it's the oil pan gasket. It is being fixed and gone through to determine just what's up with that.
If this might have happened with anyone here, (two in a short time span)what was determined to be the fault. What are the odds of two bad gaskets. I'll have more info, when I get a call tomorrow but wanted to know your opinions on this.
Thanks
Kathy

Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
All MINI dealers warranty their parts and labor for 2years, if you got it done there you'll be ok. Also make sure that is what is leaking, it could be a crank sensor oring, they leak right onto the oil pan and can look like an pan gasket leak.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
All MINI dealers warranty their parts and labor for 2years, if you got it done there you'll be ok. Also make sure that is what is leaking, it could be a crank sensor oring, they leak right onto the oil pan and can look like an pan gasket leak.
Thanks for your reply.
Have not heard back yet but since no one here has had the same problem or wondered the same thing I'll just wait to hear what the mechanic has determined. My first instinct was possible over tightening but I'm not the mechanic. Wish I was one.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:35 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I also hate to say it, but the gasket may have never been replaced. There are alot of crooked techs out there, even at the dealerships, that would say they replaced it and never did. I've seen that happen a few times, but I'm not naming dealerships. But I don't trust any of them.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Kathy, is there any reason you can think of that you can't learn to work on your own car?

Unless there are physical reasons, I can't think of any others.....I taught my daughter how to work on her cars when she was in college, she still takes care of all her families car-related problems, even if it's just interfacing with the shops.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I also hate to say it, but the gasket may have never been replaced. There are alot of crooked techs out there, even at the dealerships, that would say they replaced it and never did. I've seen that happen a few times, but I'm not naming dealerships. But I don't trust any of them.

Thanks again for your input.
The car is fixed, no charge, gasket replaced, many hours put in and I'm confident in their judgement. They stood behind their work and to my mind went a step beyond. They are a busy private shop and I doubt that tying up a lift, would be practical for them. With worry time on my hands, I explored on the computer finding diagrams etc. of internal engine parts. I posted here to ask if anyone had had a similar experience.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Kathy, is there any reason you can think of that you can't learn to work on your own car?

Unless there are physical reasons, I can't think of any others.....I taught my daughter how to work on her cars when she was in college, she still takes care of all her families car-related problems, even if it's just interfacing with the shops.

I can think of several reasons why I can't replace an oil pan gasket but thanks for your input.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Good to hear the shop "made it right".
Still sucks that you wasted you time, but atleast it did not take a fight or a wad of $$.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Thanks Zippy,
Almost a year ago I got my little MINI. I always thought I got a good deal and always knew a little used car with 68,000 miles would invariably have some issues even though we don't like it when it happens.
Have done a lot of my own maintanance and have kept a large white cleanable sheet of plastic under it when it's parked.
Have lost a few nights sleep over it but in no way do I hold anyone responsible for that. I've also priced new ones, checked out the new features and still have a long way to go before mine is ever that expensive to repair, plus I love it. Everything's good.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
Hi all,
Had the oil pan gasket replaced a few months ago and spotted the same leak in the same place this morning. Again, it's the oil pan gasket. It is being fixed and gone through to determine just what's up with that.
If this might have happened with anyone here, (two in a short time span)what was determined to be the fault. What are the odds of two bad gaskets. I'll have more info, when I get a call tomorrow but wanted to know your opinions on this.
Thanks
Kathy
Went back and read some of my original posts and my little car has definitely been an experience. I've documented every repair and saw that a lot of it is here, in my old posts, also. At times, it's felt like it wasn't real.
After 4 oil pan gasket leaks and lots of reading here, I printed out the info about the crank positiion sensor and took it in to the mechanic. At that time the car had gone in for the 4th oil pan gasket drip fix and at that time the transmission had also failed. Very, very perplexing times.
Car has been back over a month after a month in the shop. The rebuild is installed and warranteed for 3 years. "knocking on wood", no more oil pan gasket leak. The part that I read about here (CPS) was evidentally the culprit and I have the old one hanging on a hook in the garage. Might even use it as a charm on a chain.
I might even start chanting to Minikins every evening at sundown.