Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

What should I say to the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011 | 10:38 AM
Rigby2011Cooper
|
Neutral
What should I say to the dealer?

Hey everyone! So, I will be going into MINI on Friday for a checkup and I was hoping to be as specific as possible in order to get the best results. Perhaps some of you have some suggestions on what I should have them look at?

Here are my concerns:

First, and probably most prominent is the way the shift **** feels when shifting. Just a precursor, I am depressing the clutch pedal completely before shifting. Regardless of this fact, I am getting a very notchy, clunky, crunchy shift ... it is most noticeable in the lower gears, and very bad in the mornings when it has been sitting. It is a consistent issue, but not an every shift issue.

I have even missed a shift or two because of this, and was stuck in neutral before being able to get into a gear. (this has only happened twice and may have been something I did, but I can't be sure).

The second issue I am having is a knocking sound every time I use the clutch pedal. And almost a knocking/growling in the lower gears.

I feel like this is affecting my driving and is taking a negative toll on the clutch (I hope not too bad).

I'd like to seem fairly educated on any common MINI issues regarding tge clutch, so I can have them look at specific things. This will give me a good base for argument if I should need to do so.

I don't know if this is just how MINIs sound, but mine almost sounds like it has a cold, if you know what I mean. Kind of like an upper respiratory infection haha

And some minor things like a buzzing coming from my door (but you don't have to give me any suggestions for this one)

Thank you very much in advance!

Old 01-04-2011 | 10:43 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
I have had a similar issue with first gear as you describe in the lower gears, but intermittently. The dealer was not able to replicate it, but took my word for it and changed the transmission fluid to see if that would help. It has made it smoother generally but I still have the occasional tough shift. I hope you have better luck than I did! Here on the board I have heard similar problems being blamed on linkage, syncros, and shift box but no one seems to have a definitive answer.

Not sure what to tell you about the clunky clutch but that does sound troubling. Thank god for warranty! I'm sorry I can't offer much help, but hopefully the dealer can sort things out for you. Please keep us updated!

Old 01-04-2011 | 03:56 PM
silkcut
3rd Gear
I have a 2007, and I have no noises like you describe at all coming from the clutch, in any gear.

If the problem is repeatable, they should be able to isolate it. Make sure to get it in writing that the clutch assembly was checked out. This could aid you down the line that you had a "historic" issue with the clutch should it require replacement
At minimum, it sounds like your clutch needs adjustment. You don't have a footwell carpet bunching up under the clutch pedal do you?
I hope it's a very minor issue.

Old 01-04-2011 | 07:17 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Cables need lubing???

From what you describe I would think it may be the Shifter Cables may need attention. There is no reason for your car not shifting properly.Something is definitely wrong.

Old 01-05-2011 | 10:06 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Synchros would give you a tough to get in gear feeling.
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
I have had a similar issue with first gear as you describe in the lower gears, but intermittently. The dealer was not able to replicate it, but took my word for it and changed the transmission fluid to see if that would help. It has made it smoother generally but I still have the occasional tough shift. I hope you have better luck than I did! Here on the board I have heard similar problems being blamed on linkage, syncros, and shift box but no one seems to have a definitive answer.

Not sure what to tell you about the clunky clutch but that does sound troubling. Thank god for warranty! I'm sorry I can't offer much help, but hopefully the dealer can sort things out for you. Please keep us updated!

Old 01-05-2011 | 10:09 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
Synchros would give you a tough to get in gear feeling.
Thanks for the reply! Would it make sense to feel tough only now and then if it is the 1st gear synchro? Since I have an 06 with 5spd getrag, does that mean a whole new transmission or can synchros be replaced/repaired?

Old 01-05-2011 | 10:19 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Ehhh now that you specify, "now and then" would not be concrete enough to have faulty synchros. If they were bad it would be always. Try replacing the fluid first then go from there.

The clutch noise could be your throw out bearing. If its a whirring, have a friend press the clutch for you and see if you can pin point it to the trans.

Also trouble shoot, does it happen in gear or only when the clutch is depressed? all gears or specific(certain gears are on different shafts)?

Before you think catastrophic go with the simple things first.

It would be cheaper to get a new trans then have a tech rebuild the one you have. I was a trans tech for Honda for 2 yrs, average rebuild labor charges were about 6-8 hrs

Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Thanks for the reply! Would it make sense to feel tough only now and then if it is the 1st gear synchro? Since I have an 06 with 5spd getrag, does that mean a whole new transmission or can synchros be replaced/repaired?