Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Another electrical gremlin...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Samysonary
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another electrical gremlin...

The following events have been occurring for about 2-3 months now. They happen randomly as I am never able to set off these occurrences whenever I want to.

First some history. I have installed an aftermarket deck in the secret compartment, with an amp under each seat, replacing all speakers, dynamating the whole car, and building a sub box to fit in the boot. Running about 1800rms, stock alternator and battery, cap not installed yet (haven't found a location and just damn lazy).

So onto the gremlins. At random times, my car will chime, the traction control light and brake light will come on (yellow lights), sport mode will automatically turn off (I always drive with it on) along with seat warmers if they are on. Also, the most annoying thing is my rear wiper will move all on its on. It will move maybe 2 inches, it will not go all the way, just a little bit. Sometimes when I stop the car and I use the remote to lock the car, the rear wiper will move a little, every time I click on the remote.

Usually I can pull over, turn the car off, wait a second, fire it back up, and all will be fine. The gremlins will sometimes come at the start of the trip, middle, or towards the end.

Any thoughts? My initial guess is my audio system is straining the car so I kept everything electrical thing off until after the car has been running for a few minutes. That seemed to help a little, but the lil gremlins still come back. I just replaced the battery, so I will wait to see if that helps solve the problem.

Anyone have any ideas or have encountered these gremlins before?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Stealth 993
2nd Gear
I would go over all the ground connections & make sure they are tight.

You may need a "ground loop isolator" for the radio & amp. Maybe a cap for the amp? It might be causing a voltage drop & causing the weirdness, does it happen when you are listing to loud music?

Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Samysonary
3rd Gear
Yeah the ground is tight. Both amps and deck are ground at one point. I will look into the ground loop isolator, as I do not have a clue what that is. I have a big cap but I just have not installed it yet.

When all the crazies happen, it is at random times. A few times it was a warm day and I didn't even have my radio going at the time, which is why I was thinking it might be the battery going bad.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Stealth 993
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Samysonary
Yeah the ground is tight. Both amps and deck are ground at one point. I will look into the ground loop isolator, as I do not have a clue what that is. I have a big cap but I just have not installed it yet.

When all the crazies happen, it is at random times. A few times it was a warm day and I didn't even have my radio going at the time, which is why I was thinking it might be the battery going bad.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.
It might be the alternator, & not the battery. But you can do simple load test on both of them. Hopefully, it is the battery.