Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New - Love my Mini, hate the SES light!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
easternshoremini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New - Love my Mini, hate the SES light!

Hello everyone! I have a BRG MC and I absolutely love it. I waited 4 years and finally got it in '06. It's a great car and I get compliments all the time. My only issue is the Service Engine Soon light. I saw that there are a lot of threads on this, but I was wondering - I've had it repaired at the dealership 4 times (free, since the first time it was still under warranty). The last time it stayed off for about 10 months, but a few weeks ago it went on again!! Stayed on for a couple of weeks and now it's off. Going to the dealer requires a day off of work, a 3 hour round trip, and a $17 bridge toll. Do I continue to get it fixed or just learn to live with it? (Sorry if my post is redundant.)

Old 01-07-2011, 03:08 PM
03M1N1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by easternshoremini
Hello everyone! I have a BRG MC and I absolutely love it. I waited 4 years and finally got it in '06. It's a great car and I get compliments all the time. My only issue is the Service Engine Soon light. I saw that there are a lot of threads on this, but I was wondering - I've had it repaired at the dealership 4 times (free, since the first time it was still under warranty). The last time it stayed off for about 10 months, but a few weeks ago it went on again!! Stayed on for a couple of weeks and now it's off. Going to the dealer requires a day off of work, a 3 hour round trip, and a $17 bridge toll. Do I continue to get it fixed or just learn to live with it? (Sorry if my post is redundant.)
I would pursue it and find out what is causing the light to come on. Didn't the last dealer give you a report or a list of the fault codes accessed???? I personally don't see a need to live with it, since it is abnormal for the light to be on. Just my 2 cents.....

Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 AM
easternshoremini
Neutral
Thanks, 03M1N1. I didn't know about the codes. The dealer tried something different each time to fix the problem. The last time they replaced a part in the dashboard. This has happened over the last 2 years, and being pretty clueless about cars, I couldn't tell you what all they've done. Just that each time I brought it back they kept it for a week or more (5 weeks the third time!), and I had a loaner. I was assuming they wanted to solve it as much as I did since they were paying for it. At one point MINI offered to cover a couple of my payments since I had been without the car so much. But they wanted me to sign a waiver first, which had some pretty ambiguous language. It seemed like a bad idea to sign it. At this point I guess I'm just not confident the problem will ever be solved.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Pbadore
2nd Gear
Thanks, 03M1N1. I didn't know about the codes. The dealer tried something different each time to fix the problem. The last time they replaced a part in the dashboard. This has happened over the last 2 years, and being pretty clueless about cars, I couldn't tell you what all they've done. Just that each time I brought it back they kept it for a week or more (5 weeks the third time!), and I had a loaner. I was assuming they wanted to solve it as much as I did since they were paying for it. At one point MINI offered to cover a couple of my payments since I had been without the car so much. But they wanted me to sign a waiver first, which had some pretty ambiguous language. It seemed like a bad idea to sign it. At this point I guess I'm just not confident the problem will ever be solved.
I bought an aftermarket generic scan tool for my grand daughter's 1996 GTI VR6 and taught her how to read and delete fault codes. The diagnostic plug for the Mini Cooper is easy to reach and the scan tool is not expensive. Why don't you try that approach? Most fault codes are for minor emssions control system failures except those that cause the SES to flash.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, 03M1N1. I didn't know about the codes.... At one point MINI offered to cover a couple of my payments since I had been without the car so much. ...At this point I guess I'm just not confident the problem will ever be solved.
Clearly the problem can be solved. And it is unlikely your car is doing something that none of us has ever seen.

So what is necessary now for us to help you is to get your car scanned. Any Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys or similar place should do that for you for free. Once we have the code, we can better help. Without the code, there is nothing that we can offer.

Rich

Old 03-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Fullbunkergear
1st Gear
I have an SES light on as well. I have taken it to 5 different advanced auto parts stores and had them read the codes. None of the different stores have been able to pull a code. Its kind of annoying since the light comes on and off. Its been on the last few days way more than its been off. Im at a loss for what it could be. Had my battery tested and it showed a fault, so I replaced it as well as the gas cap for the tune of $186 total. What should I do now? Everytime Ive had the car read, the SES light has been on. It switch off yesterday about 1230 and back on this morning about 1130. Any help would be amazing!!! Is there a dealer specific code that the reader at advanced wont pick up?

Thanks alot!!!
Mike