Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine Carbon Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM
rimtnbiker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Carbon Treatment

I was at a "Mini" garage having an oil change on my 2009 MINI Cooper (non-S) and was told I should let them do a "carbon treatment" to the engine. I thought excessive carbon build up was just a possible problem with the turbo motor and not on a Just a Cooper? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Should I get it done at with the next service? Thanks.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:08 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinkin' either they're just plain ignorant of why some of the MINI's need the so-called "carbon treatment;" or they're just fishin' for some easy income. Either way, you probably don't want them tinkering too much with your car...

My understanding is the "Justas" don't suffer from the carbon build-up issue that their turbocharged siblings do, as their engines do not utilize direct injection...

Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be cognizant of the fact that your service person thinks he has identified you as a dumba__ who has more money than brains and will believe anything he tells you. Either that, or he really doesn't know anything about Minis.

Don't be afraid to form a bad opinion of him.

Justa's do not have the carbon issue that the direct injection cars have.

Simple fact.

They are out there. This forum has identified SAs who are willing to change the high pressure fuel pum in a Justa, and I've even talked with one in my travels who told me that his dealership has been authorized to replace defective turbos with the older model superchargers from the generation 1 cars because of the high failure rate of the late model turbos. Seriously, he looked me straight in the eye and said that.

Oh, and I'd somehow find a way to let this guy know that you object to highly to the opinion that he appears to have of you. I'd ask for someone else from now on.