Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Another mini won't start thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
spingq
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another mini won't start thread...

Ok, Ive spent the entire day searching and reading through all the threads on this subject both here and the other mini forums, but the information compounds in my mind and I am ending up more confused than before. so here is what i am going through.

I will list everything I have experienced, starting with:

1. check engine light comes on, December, I go to autozone and have them pull the code. Turns out to be a bad electrical connection to o2 sensor 1 bank 1, which i do nothing about, hoping i can go a while until i have the time and money to check it out.

2. battery indicator lamp comes on. January, maybe 2 weeks ago. Happens while driving, and stays on for the rest of my trip. The light is steady, not flashing or anything. Since the first time, it has been intermittent, but still comes on every 1 of 2 times i drive, generally after ive been driving for over 5 mins. light comes on and turns off sometimes, when i release the gas, come to a complete stop. comes back on when i start going again.

3. today i go to start my car and what do you know, im stuck. when i turn the key, the lights come on as usual, and i hear a few short clicks (maybe 3). tried to jump start, still no good, same clicks. i will note that the key still unlocks the doors remotely, the cabin lights still turn on when i open the door. i have tried my other key and it does the same thing.

here are my thoughts:
the battery indicator light coming on tells me the battery is not being charged when lit. this could be from some sort of alternator problem, whether with the belt or the charging circuit. i have no idea, but the belt is still intact and runs without any noticeable sounds.

my battery is about 3 years old. couple that with it not being charged while driving, and i am left to believe that it is now dead. what confuses me is why wont jump starting it help?

my next concern is if i replace the battery (at a cost of $115), i may very well still have the charging problem. also, i worry that maybe it isnt even a dead battery, and i will be out the 115 and it still wont start.

please, any suggestions and ideas will really help me sleep tonight.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:48 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Could the bad electrical connection to the 02 sensor been a parisitic drain on the battery causing the subsequent battery issues. Often times the wire can come loose and rub up against a piece of metal shielding eventually cutting through to the core of the wires.

How did the Autozone tech diagnose the bad electrical connection any idea what the code was ?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jumping a MINI is not easy. They are electrical hogs and may require you to keep the jumpers hooked up for well over 5 min to get enough juice in the battery to turn the car over. You can also press the gas a little on the jumping car to slightly increase the voltage output. One last bit is to turn off all non essential items in both cars like the radio and headlights etc...

It is likely the battery that is being drained as mentioned above.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:49 AM
spingq
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the responses, here is the code:

heated oxygen sensor - bank 1 sensor 1 (H02S11)
sensor range/performance condition
Explanation
Open or short circuit condition
Probable cause
-Poor electrical connection
-check other service codes
-faulty H02S11 (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

the top of the receipt says
Troubleshooting P0130

so, you think the check engine light and battery light are related? do you think the battery is toast, having been drained in its 3rd year? any idea how i should go about fixing all this?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
warcko
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the Battery

Go back to AutoZone have them check the battery. If it is bad replace it. Start your car and let it run for 15 to 30 minutes before shutting it off. New batteries always need to be charged.