Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

After dealer visit, turn signal behaves differently & car feels less torquey

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 AM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
After dealer visit, turn signal behaves differently & car feels less torquey

My 07 MCS was just in to the dealer with a CEL on. Despite the CEL being on, the car was running fine. The dealer said the CEL turned out to be for a bad thermostat. The dealer said they replaced the thermostat, the coolant, and "reprogrammed" the car under warranty.

Ever since the dealer visit, now the turn signal does not work the same as it did previously. It used to have a 3-flash lane change if you just tapped the stalk. And now it no longer does that. You only get one flash. Additionally (and even worse) the car feels less torquey and slower now than before the dealer touched it.

I am at a loss to explain how the lane change turn signal functionality up and disappeared. Could this have something to do with them "reprogramming" the car? What does that even mean if they say they "reprogrammed" it?? Is it possible that they reflashed my whole ECU with a version that deleted that feature and affected performance?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I imagine that when they say they reprogrammed that, yes, they reflashed the ECU.

The turn signal setting probably got reset to default and you'll have to go back and configure it to how you wanted it.

Not sure how the new ECU would impact performance, but that is probably the same source of any change you are experiencing.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 AM
KLOIN
2nd Gear
Car different after visit to dealership

You need to reprogram the blinker to 3 blinks in the system switch
on the end of the left blinker stem...It's in the owners manual and online at MINIUSA.com.

There's a torque to drive wheels computer reprogram which I going to ask them not to do when I get mine serviced again..I'll be really pissed if they do as I like the spontaneous kick which u lost at the dealer.
Lee

Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go in to the OBC(on board computer) and set it back to the 3 flash, i dont know off the top of my head but you have to be parked and the instructions should be in the manual.

as far as the flash... only the dealer knows what they put in.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a rather lengthy thread in the Factory JCW section of the forum on the topic of power loss after an ECU re-flash; I believe folks driving the Cooper S have also noted it.

I don't know that there's ever been a definitive explanation of why this occurs; could be related to the torque-to-drive-wheels thing to which "KLOIN" refers...?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:47 AM
todoubled
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was told by a tech who is an idiot that they have a program desighned for winter driving and that is why performance is diffrent.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:23 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by todoubled
i was told by a tech who is an idiot that they have a program desighned for winter driving and that is why performance is diffrent.

The truly shocking thing is how often service technicians probably get someone to swallow this kind of tripe... Honestly: why would anyone accept that their car knows what season it is -- or what the driving conditions are and therefore which "programming" to use -- based solely on the outside temperature...?!

Fail...

Old 02-06-2011, 11:31 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63

The truly shocking thing is how often service technicians probably get someone to swallow this kind of tripe... Honestly: why would anyone accept that their car knows what season it is -- or what the driving conditions are and therefore which "programming" to use -- based solely on the outside temperature...?!

Fail...
Given the technology available, I would question why it is not possible for a car to make adjustments based on an input like outside temperature.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 AM
BlueDL1000
1st Gear
The dealer flashed my ECU to activate the alarm and iPod kit on my 07 MCS. I noted a huge decrease in power, smoothness was increased, exhaust note was quieter, and steering resistance was increased. I read that newer ECU program is less aggressive than original 07, to make the JCW kit more attractive. Dealer said that they cannot program an older version of software (they download ECU updates now vs. Using a CD).

I ended up adding the JCW Stage I kit to get my old MCS back. I love my car again!

It's not your imagination.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:54 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by todoubled

Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Given the technology available, I would question why it is not possible for a car to make adjustments based on an input like outside temperature.
Well, you're correct: it can -- and does. But the goal of the engine controller is (or at least, should be) to adjust the air-fuel mixture (based on outside temperature) to keep engine performance as consistent as possible. Not to rob it of power/torque, which is the topic at hand.

My interpretation of what "todoubled" reported he was told ("... a program designed for winter driving...") was that the technician implied that the vehicle could automatically compensate for different weather conditions -- not just temperature. And in order for the vehicle to do that, it would need a whole lot more information than it has -- and programming that just doesn't exist (not even on the Space Shuttle).

For example, just because the temperature is below 32 deg F/0 deg C doesn't necessarily mean there's snow on the road... In order for the vehicle to automatically use some "winter driving program," it would have to be able to accurately discern between a wide variety of driving conditions (dry, wet, icy, snow, etc.). Ambient temperature alone just doesn't give it all the information necessary to do that.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:54 PM
todoubled
3rd Gear
does the alta aceesport solve this problem.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
I really feel as though this may be happening with my car also. I too am looking at the Accessport. At least that way if they "re-flash" my ECU I can reset it back to my settings. At least I hope that's the way it'll work.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
"... a program designed for winter driving..." = the technician implied that the vehicle could automatically compensate for different weather conditions

I read that as the technician saying the vehicle could automatically compensate once it gets cold. We'd probably have to find out from the techinician what he (or she) meant by "winter driving" before we could conclude whether it was "tripe" or not.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
"... a program designed for winter driving..." = the technician implied that the vehicle could automatically compensate for different weather conditions

I read that as the technician saying the vehicle could automatically compensate once it gets cold. We'd probably have to find out from the techinician what he (or she) meant by "winter driving" before we could conclude whether it was "tripe" or not.
Agreed. Could be a hasty misinterpretation on my part.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:01 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
07s and 08s supposedly always had more power UNTIL a reflash when they put the newer software on. (like BlueDL1000 stated above)

Your loss on this one.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:46 PM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear
So how do I get it flashed back to the factory program?

Old 02-09-2011, 02:18 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aklucsarits
So how do I get it flashed back to the factory program?
Generally-speaking, I'm sorry to say, you don't. If you ask MINI to reinstall an older version of the vehicle's software, they will tell you they can't do it. Now, we all know they probably can do it ... but as a rule, they just won't...

All is not lost, though; tuning outfits might be able to help you. Of course, that's extra cash out of your pocket.

Personally, whenever I've taken mine in for even routine servicing, I've expressly told the SA not to change any software without consulting me. Mine still has the factory software in it -- and I aim to keep it...!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
i think after some point in '08 its all the same anyway. There are probably very few still on that long lost version lol