Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Battery post under hood won't start car

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:47 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery post under hood won't start car

The positive battery post under my hood can not be jumped to start my car.
Can not, will not....have tried many times, professional tow trucks haven't been able to charge my rear battery (MCS) from under the hood. Many times.

Open the back, battery starts right up on a jump.
Talked to the dealer and they have nothing to say, they dont believe me.
One service manager told me the connection between the front post and battery hadn't been installed with the car....
it does show 12+ volts on the front (under the hood) post, i need to see just how much the voltage is

anybody else had this problem or know what it might be?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:45 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Same problem here. My MINI is in hibernation mode for the winter with the battery stored indoors on a trickle charger. Tried to jump start using another vehicle with a strong battery, and all I got was the clicking of the starter and the dome light came on. Guess I'll just have to reconnect the battery to turn over the engine.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM
2ndhandMINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When jump starting with the positive post in the engine compartment, have you made sure to connect the negative cable to the engine block? If not, try it because you still need to ground the cables.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:58 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
A mouse got into my r53 cabin, tried a few locations and finally found one he liked up above the headliner. I caught him and released him about a mile from the house. Took all of the rear plastics off, the headliner down and did a thorough cleaning - it needed it anyhow. The headliner was a total loss. He chewed through it in one place and the passenger side sunroof drain had disconnected itself from the drain tube. They are both zip tied on now. Not sure where he got in (I suspect the vents to the outside through the cowl area), but the car was on ramps and jack stands, so it must have been a very acrobatic routine!

Headed to a salvage yard to see if I can find a headliner tomorrow (and they may possibly have a pair of aero side skirts)!

Old 05-29-2020, 07:08 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
We need a thread dedicated to mouse proofing cars. Here's a great trap that requires very little attention.

https://www.backwoodshome.com/build-...ng-mouse-trap/